Wots Wot Kit Build

Scruffmeister

As of this morning I am the proud owner of an Almost-Ready-to-Build Wots Wot!

Surprisingly I haven't been able to find any comprehensive build threads/photos for this model on the Internet so if you know of any please post.

Engines

I plan to install a glow four-stroke, but I will need to buy one. I'm looking for good aerobatic performance sufficient for rolling circles and nice high stall turns with a little bit to spare, but this isn't intended for out and out speed.

The relatively new OS 95V four-stroke looks nice and just £235 if you shop around, but is this a bit too powerful for the model? As an alternative the SC 91FS is very cheap at £140 but how does it compare in quality/longevity. I'm not too worried about cost if the additional converts into improved performance/reliability/longevity. What other currently available FS engines would you choose?

Modifications

My intention is to make a couple of minor modifications to the kit:

• Use separate aileron servos
  • Possibly use mini-servos to keep weight down
  • Install the elevator servo in fuselage side exterior nearer tail
  • Secure the top wing using bolts not bands

If there are any other good mods out there, and if you have photos of your kit built Wots-wot please do post them.

As the build gets going I'll keep progress updated here...

The box

Edited By Scruffmeister on 06/02/2015 18:30:16

Advert

Shameless plug but how about something British?... **LINK**

The 100 would also be an option but might be excessive. I believe the prototype wots wot used the Laser 75 which the 80 replaced in 1992.

With your plan to put the servo in the tail remember that you are going to need ballast to balance the additional weight. On a model of this type putting the servo back there serves little purpose so I would save yourself the potential hassle and weight by leaving it where its supposed to be. You might be about to leave the choice until after most of the model is built so you could play moving things about to minimise ballast

Edited By Jon Harper on 06/02/2015 18:49:46

Posted by Braddock, VC on 06/02/2015 19:27:53:

I'd get the OS 95 but if you're set on the servos at the rear go for the laser 80, it's 4 ounces heavier than the OS by the time you've fitted the muffler.

Including the exhaust the Laser is only 40g heavier than the OS. Laser weights are quoted with exhaust

I agree with speedbird too about a slight wing sweep to make it look cooler!

Hi Scruff,

I'm at the same stage as you. Staring lovingly at the box of bits and pondering the challenges ahead!

I've had a good search and couldn't find a proper build blog. I did find these two pages, which may be of some use.

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php?topic=54291.0

http://s152.photobucket.com/share/email?u=http%3A%2F%2Fs152.photobucket.com%2Fuser%2Fpaulaandgazza%2Fmedia%2F01.jpg.html

I'm intending to do a blog, but won't be starting for a few months yet.

I have a saito 82 to go I mine, which is quite light so I believe I need to sweep back the wings. I was also thinking about putting the elevator servo at the rear of the fuse, but was concerned about the weight. I'll be watching with interest to see how you get on.

When are you starting the build?

Rob

Posted by Jon Harper on 06/02/2015 22:23:51:
Posted by Braddock, VC on 06/02/2015 19:27:53:

I'd get the OS 95 but if you're set on the servos at the rear go for the laser 80, it's 4 ounces heavier than the OS by the time you've fitted the muffler.

Including the exhaust the Laser is only 40g heavier than the OS. Laser weights are quoted with exhaust

I agree with speedbird too about a slight wing sweep to make it look cooler!

My laser 80 weighs 719 gm with the exhaust fitted, slightly more than my saito 125, weight is quoted without muffler.

Posted by Rob Tothill on 06/02/2015 22:45:59:
Hi Scruff,

I'm at the same stage as you. Staring lovingly at the box of bits and pondering the challenges ahead!

When are you starting the build?

Hi Rob,

Much like you it'll be a few months before I start gluing anything as I need to finish up a couple of other builds and maintenance tasks on other models first.

Thanks for the links, both useful although there is definitely a need for a full write-up on building this model!

The RCMF link alludes to newer versions of the Foss kits possibly having the wing cut for two servos (at least on AcroWot). Does yours have this on the Wots Wot? Mine does not.

Hi scruff,

I haven't taken the wings out of their packaging yet. As I was storing the kit for a few months I thought it best to leave them all wrapped up together to prevent warping. From all the reading I've done though, I'm pretty sure they still don't come with holes for servos in the wing. It's not in the instructions as a possible mod either. It was for the wot 4 I recently built, which did have recesses and holes for the servo wires.

On a thread I recently started Martin U kindly put on some photos and details of how he made the recesses and channels for the wires

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=103398

Rob

Good luck with your build, will be watching with interest.
I'll second Percy's comment above on mini servos. I once used a pair of HS81 nylon
geared mini servos to drive Wot 4 ailerons, one per aileron. The gears were soon
stripped, purely by flight stresses.
They were replaced rapidly by HS85MG which have proven to be ok for driving
single ailerons.
Will be using the slightly bigger HS225MG in latest Wot4.
Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

I also fancy building one of these as I love flying my old trusty Wot4, I was thinking of installing a pair of servo's in each wing rather than having the ailerons linked by wire rods.

Engine wise I was considering using an OS Fsa 110 pumped version but I'm not sure if that would be total overkill on size, weight and power. It just looks such a nice engine. Maybe an 81 might be more suitable.

I would like to use medium sized digital servos, and suggestions?

Cheers.

• 5 months later...