What is the best tool in your workshop

Glyn44

Advert

Posted by fly boy3 on 12/02/2015 23:40:11:

I have a 10year old model miniture saw that cuts slots for my Myler hinges at the exact depth and thickness, will have a good cry if I break it. LoL. Cheers

I'd be interested to see a picture of that Fly Boy. I've never used any slotted type hinges, even though the Easy Pigeon arrived with no hinges in place (despite the advert saying it was all done for me dont know ) and a pack of strange fibrous thingies.

I am going to suggest 2 very useful tools which are rarely seen.. Not essential but handy for numerous jobs.

1 Pick up tool ( pearl catcher) which can grip any screw such as a servo screw and actually grip it firmly enough to start it into the pilot hole. Also picks up parts dropped inside fuselage etc. Magic! Maplin or Proops sell them.

2. a Birdcage awl. This is simply a tapered square awl which can enlarge any hole. I made one from a 3mm Obo nail ( in place of tool steel ) ground on all four sides to a tapered point and set into a wooden handle. Handy for any DIY job where screws need to be started in wood - it instantly makes a tapered hole to start a screw. Main use in aeromodelling is locating the holes for engine mounts, horns etc. It is slender enough to go through the holes in motor mounts etc and mark or start a hole. You could regrind a bradawl or buy the proper thing from Axminster - they now call them  Square Bladed Bradawl. Works far better than ordinary bradawl which invariably splits timber.

Edited By kc on 13/02/2015 19:18:43

Edited By kc on 13/02/2015 19:19:15

20150213_185928.jpg

This is my favourite tool. It is simply a sharpened broken hacksaw blade. It admittedly has some sentimental value - my Dad made it for me back in the day, and I've kept it for years, periodically resharpened. It's a balsa chisel, a spatula, a scraper, a filler applicator, a hinge slot cutter, a stirrer, a straight edge, a carving tool. All in one!

Good thinking Cymaz - you would find needle holders even more useful, the hinge is much closer to the business end, if I had the IT skill I would append a picture. Equally useful are dressing forceps ( 6" blunt ended tweezers ), particularly useful for picking up small nuts, bolts, screws etc, especially as we get older where our fingers look to be near enough their original diameter - but have the sensitivity and manoeuvrability of a cooked pork sausage. You can find dressing forceps, needle holders, or haemostats ( not as strong and useful as the needle holders ) at a lot of fishing shops, much cheaper there though not such nice quality.

You've got the idea - Mayo-Hagar are what you need, 7" is the size, have a look at Vet Direct too, their prices are more reasonable. The block end dressing forceps on this site are the job, and cheap as chips. Nice people to deal with too.

( Both instruments are brilliant, for example, putting servo mounting screws into place in a really deep fuselage where you can't get your fingers, let alone your hand! )

Posted by Gurth Scriven 2 on 14/02/2015 09:11:33:

( Both instruments are brilliant, for example, putting servo mounting screws into place in a really deep fuselage where you can't get your fingers, let alone your hand! )

I use Tack Wax (made by De Luxe) for holding servo screws on to the tips of screwdrivers. It is used by war gamers for holding small figures on to a base for painting, but also works well on servo screws, particularly the socket head type.

A small tub lasts forever.....yes

Edited By Broken Prop on 14/02/2015 09:37:05

The fluorescent light went in my workshop. A six foot twin tube unit. Before replacing it I looked on the Internet and found an architectural site with recommended lighting levels. The nearest was a high precision/drawing office and I ended up with 4 five foot LED tubes shoving out 6000 lumens positioned above the workbench. What a difference, I can see! The old unit was about 1000 lumens and I thought this was a good light!

Maybe we should all have one of these. Brilliant invention. May look gimmicky but it aint! You can cut all hinges dead accurate for a WOT4 in 3 mins.

Alternatively I have GP Incidence meter. Only used once or twice a year. But, boy when it is it's invaluable. Can't do without it.....same for my GP CoG balance stand...

My best & most useful tools are:

Laser cross hair automatic level

Heavy duty gas soldering iron

and my late fathers archimedes drill with a 1mm bit which is great at drilling pilot holes for screws to stop the wood from splitting when the screw is driven in

imag0275[1].jpg

imag0278[1].jpg

imag0277[1].jpg

imag0276[1].jpg

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 14/02/2015 23:13:59:
Posted by Stevo on 14/02/2015 14:48:18:

Steve T - you've never made one of these then with scale ailerons? Honestly, some people...

You're not trying to give Tim Hooper ideas, are you?wink 2

Pete

It would be a walk in the park for Tim

Posted by Stevo on 14/02/2015 14:04:26:

Maybe we should all have one of these. Brilliant invention. May look gimmicky but it aint! You can cut all hinges dead accurate for a WOT4 in 3 mins.

Alternatively I have GP Incidence meter. Only used once or twice a year. But, boy when it is it's invaluable. Can't do without it.....same for my GP CoG balance stand...

I've never seen a GP hinge slot cutter for sale in the UK though I'd be tempted to buy one if I did. Cutting hinge slots is probably my most unfavourite job.

I have a Robart incidence meter. Certainly very useful, particularly with biplanes and I wouldn't be without it but it's not my 'best' tool. Neither is my M&M developments balance jig but it gets used on every model aeroplane.

Geoff

• 1 year later...
Posted by Gurth Scriven 2 on 14/02/2015 09:11:33:

You've got the idea - Mayo-Hagar are what you need, 7" is the size, have a look at Vet Direct too, their prices are more reasonable. The block end dressing forceps on this site are the job, and cheap as chips. Nice people to deal with too.

I just magnetise the screwdriver to place servo screws etc ........