How far would you travel for your Hobby?

Tomtom39

Following on from another thread. I was perusing through an old collection of Aero Modeller (given to me back in the 70's by my Teacher) and came across the club news in the May 1958 edition. This is a notice from the Lancing and D.M.A.C and reads as follows:-" The club walking record has gone to one member and his sister who missed the bus at Brocklehurst and walked to Beaulieu. Leaving Shorehamat 6.30am arriving on the airfield 7 1/2 hours later!) - note I suspect that the bus was leaving for Shoreham at 6.30 am (anyone know who that is and does the club still exist?

Cost of Mag was 1'6

Advert

I cant envisage anyone getting on a bus with an rc plane + fuel/lipos + xt + all the other rubbish we tote round these days at all never mind walk to a flying site!

Clubs still going, Oldham Model Aero Club celebrates its 70th birthday this year and no doubt the star attraction (at what ever is decided to celebrate it) will be one of the founding members who is still going strong!

There is still model flying at Beaulieu, although I think it is a different site now to the site used in the 50's. Brokenhurst to Beaulie is about 5miles. Since he was a member of a Lancing club I assume he got the train from Shorham to Brokenhurst and found himself stranded at the station having missed the bus. Then deciding to walk the last leg to the site. Still, hats off to the chap.

At the moment, as I've no car, I would travel just far enough so that I know I can pack up my glider and cycle home again before it rains.

But I am considering taking one plane to work, which would involve the bus in the morning. But I will probably keep it there afterwards and just take the TX and Lipos home.

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 20/02/2015 13:53:10:

I cant envisage anyone getting on a bus with an rc plane + fuel/lipos + xt + all the other rubbish we tote round these days at all never mind walk to a flying site!

Clubs still going, Oldham Model Aero Club celebrates its 70th birthday this year and no doubt the star attraction (at what ever is decided to celebrate it) will be one of the founding members who is still going strong!

Our club - Luton and District MAS celebrates 80 years of continuous operation this year - it kept going through WW2 enjoying a close relationship with the ATC during the war years.

A couple of years ago, one of the founder members was surfing the internet (at the tender age of 93!) and came across our website. Having been involved in hostilities, he had taken other directions after the war and had not returned to model flying. Surprised to see that the club had survived, he emailed us and has since visited quite a few times, recounting various forgotten details of the club's formation. Having awarded him honorary membership, it wouldn't surprise me to discover that we have the oldest founder member in the country - or maybe even the world!

Unfortunately he hasn't been too well over the winter but he drove up from Portsmouth for our Open Day last autumn. He has excellent recall and you really wouldn't credit his age - he's a lot sharper than many people of half his years. The year before, he brought up a chum of similar age and abilities who had piloted Lancasters - they bred 'em well in those days!

Edited By Martin Harris on 20/02/2015 21:55:40

I'm not sure even our nearest members ever walk to the field - too much to carry usually.

We do have one member who travels by train - to us and to other local clubs - with a heli.

Another member found himself "temporarily" without a driving licence (cocktailsilly boy!) and for about 18 months had to travel to the field by buses and/or trains. It was not a straight-forward journey, and on Sundays took him several hours each way - by car it would be about 30 minutes or less.

I usually catch the bus with my transmitter and indoor models (V911 and V912 helis and a small quad) to go flying in a disused local grammar school classroom (the school is a well used community service run by volunteers). It's a no brainer, really. The bus stop is outside the house and the school is a short walk from the bus stop plus my pensioners fee bus pass.

It would be more difficult with bigger models and the service to the airfield in Ashbourne isn't so good. I do cycle the 15 miles there sometimes but not to fly. There are several major climbs that hard enough on an unladen lightweight bike and hills are a lot steeper than they were 20 years ago.

Geoff