Which fuel and glow plug advice needed!

Stephen Tye

Advert

Weston UK. I have used Prosynth 10% with these engines its a great fuel. Fantastic for all round use. Great service on delivery but you might want to get together with someone else to make the quantity worth ordering. Drop them an e mail re plugs as they are very helpful and there own brand is fine. I remember Peter Miller recommending a plug once which was cheap but I couldn't seem to source them. (Was it a Taylor)? I suspect you will get as many suggestions as answers from forum members as you also have to find your own way a little with experimentation. But I have converted a few mates to this fuel. Most of mine comes in rectangular blocks now though smiley as its just so clean. Prosynth smells nice too.

Prosynth 10, on all my two and four stroke engines, can't say I have ever favored any plug type, I don't think the fuel cares.

The only fuel I have ever had problems with was Hot aero juice from Modelworld, it destroyed the bearings in a two stroke and had a bottom wrecked when used it with a four stroke, chucked rest away.

I've been running a n Irvine 53 for many years (16, time flies). Has had hundreds of yours of use. It runs just fine on five percent nitro, summer or winter. Plug is OS NO 8, as fitted when it was new, same plug never changed in all that time. Don't care about fuel make, but stick to mostly synthetic oil based fuel at 17 to 20 percent oil. Re usage, a REALLY good session will use a litre of fuel. And I don't think I have ever taken more than a moment to start it, and it has never stopped in the air. Fine engine. As a suggestion, try to run the engine to dry at the end of the session, and buy some after run oil, few drops in the Venturi and turn it to distribute works wonders for bearing life. And don't bother to lean it out in use, let it run a little rich, much happier that way for it and you

Just had a result with some fuel i got with one of my training planes and an OS 46'' engine. previous attempts to start one of my engines failed due to using a drill rather than a proper starter. So it must have been torque. Anyway the 46'' works, now to put the Irvine 53'' on the plane and fire that up. Almost lost a finger just now...(oh dear) morale of this story, don't forget about a spinning propeller. Luckily just smashed the nail and put a gash in the finger. (Learning curve)..

The drill was a shortcut as i had the starter but not the 12 v battery to run it.(Impatience) I got a couple of engines with some trainers i bought, along with spares. The Irvine 53'' I bought separately, I like Irvine engines. Its true I am a novice, so you are correct. I am going along to my local club, Hastings. My planes are Irvine tutor 40, and Arising star T77E. they seem the ideal training plane. Thanks

Asking what fuel is best...it's like asking several fishermen what fly they would recommend on a stretch of water! 10 fishermen ...11 different flies!

I go by a few basics.

If you find a good fuel stick with it. I've found for some reason engines don't like swapping fuels.

Keep the fuel in the dark and at a constant temperature. Fluctuations could cause condensation to form in the canister.

Only take enough for a days flying

Keep your fuel fill practice as clean as ppossible. Don't ever let the filler pipe drop onto the floor. Use several filters on the filler pipe from the flight box

Run the engine athe slightest touch on the rich side. The way to a poorly running engine is to make it too lean trying to get every last rev out of it.

Hopefully someone might add a point or two I've missed.

P.S. Weston Pro-Synth liquid gold 5%, club buys, so we get a discount.