Been conned recently?

Mowerman

SWMBO ,having a clear out , found a gift voucher in amongst some old (birthday and Christmas) cards. When we tried to use it to buy goods we were told 'its no longer valid as it is over 2 years old,you should have read the small print on the back.

Have you ever read the small (Microscopic) print on the back of a gift card?

Is this a con trick or can they claim it is fair trading?

Advert

We found one when going through my Mums old things, it was a M&S gift card about 30 months old, and we were advised that it couldn't be used. Fortunately only £20, so we've lent M&S £20 interest free for 30 months and now they get to keep all the money.

Don't tell George Osbourne or he'll be putting the same small print on £20 notes.........................

Never been keen on vouchers for specific stores, but, if as we have been told, that we could go into deflation they would be a good investment, maybe, depending on the amount of deflation. Spend £20 now and get the goods later, but cheaper! If it is to great a figure the stores would probably withdraw them.

Posted by sharpy1071 on 25/02/2015 18:41:38:

Never been keen on vouchers for specific stores, but, if as we have been told, that we could go into deflation they would be a good investment, maybe, depending on the amount of deflation. Spend £20 now and get the goods later, but cheaper! If it is to great a figure the stores would probably withdraw them.

It's still £20 you have handed over to the shop for them to bank and keep until you decide to spend it. Rather than buy a card just send me £20 and I'll give it back to you when you've decided to buy something (terms and conditions apply..................)

Retailers like to sell us vouchers knowing they can be either forgotten about or lost, both of which are a gain to the retailer and a loss to the customer.

There's another down side of vouchers if a retailer goes out of business; when a business goes down tubes all too often any vouchers in circulation are immediately worthless.

There are many good reasons why vouchers are bought but if you want to be sure that someone receives the full value of a cash gift then giving cash is the only guarantee (OK you could loose the cash, but I think we're generally better at looking after real money!)

Posted by Chuck Plains on 25/02/2015 22:15:37:

Yeap. Beware Amazon vouchers. They expire after 12 months!!!!!!!

No they don't, they last for 10 years! **LINK**

The thing with gift vouchers is that it is legal to have a withdrawl timeframe. It is down to the individual to ensue they know when it expires and stating the small print is too small is not an adequate reason for not using it. To be honest, as Ted says, if a voucher is found at the back of a cupboard it possibly was not appreciated enough.

There have been times when a company has offered an exchange for an in-date voucher but that is generally for a few quid rather than the last 20p.

They don't have to exchange but it is worth trying if you write to the company head office with the voucher attached, sent by registered post.

Retailers love gift cards, there was a piece on the radio a while back that gave the percentage of money not reclaimed from them , I can't recall the exact amount but it was huge.

I can understand your frustration but I think ripped off is a bit harsh. Email the customer service department ? It's worth a shot you never know till you ask.

Posted by John F on 26/02/2015 06:23:15:

No they don't, they last for 10 years! **LINK**

That only applies to cards issued since July 2013;

"Previously Issued Gift Cards.

Gift Cards issued on or after July 1, 2013 may be redeemed toward the purchase of eligible products up to ten years from the date of issuance, notwithstanding any stated expiration date. Any Gift Cards issued prior to July 1, 2013 expire in accordance with their stated terms."

Note that Book Tokens expire after 2 years but can still be redeemed after they expire. You have to email them with the details and you will be issued with a new card.

You can also refresh them in any participating bookshop by having them scanned -that extends them for another 2 yrs