Whirlwind No3

Well here I go again, my pet subject....Westland Whirlwind it does not seem like 8yrs since I built the last one

Armed with a plan by Harold Osborne and waiting on LDS for the kit, I have asked the the laser cutters to reduce the aft formers and tail feathers balsa, in thickness, in an effort to get the rear as light as possible

my thoughts turn to the power plants to be used. Turnigy G46's should get this aloft, I'll consult my mate who is a genius on E.P. to work out the prop size later

1 battery will be used in the nose, 4s 8000mah, there is ample room up ft, with access to it via a detachable nose cone

Electric retracts on dual struts should hold it off the ground

I'm going to cheat a little and add 2" to the wing span, the last one had 4" added and flew like a trainer

I'm going to make the nacelle, forward of the wing removable, as per the original, and form them up from foam, to make a resin/fiberglass shell

Early days yet, but procurement of bits is happening.

Until more news

Cheers

Edited By A.A. Barry on 27/02/2015 14:14:47

Advert

While I'm waiting for the laser kit to arrive, I thought I might make a start on the nacelle cowling, somehow I managed to aquire a plan of the said model yrs ago, so I have copied the nacelle and will transfer the image on to dummy balsa formers, with the correct profile, as this model is built on the crutch system, I will have to make a left and a right side of each nacelle....frown, ....now for the formers out of scraps.....ummm

I am going to build the fowler flaps into it as well, driving the out and down will be by Hs 85mg, located in the nacelle rear bit, the driving rod will be pivoted inside the stationary part of the nacelle, I got this idea from Vance Mosher's whirly build 

Barry

Edited By A.A. Barry on 28/02/2015 06:11:36

nacelles 002.jpgnacelles 001.jpg

The process has begun, formers cut and the centre keels pinned to a flat board, the framework is not glued yet, but from C5 forward, is the starting point of the F/Glass cowl

Once I'm happy with the set up and glued, polyurathane foam will be added in between the formers, then sanded down to get the correct profile,twill weave will then be laid over and resin applied.......hopefully, so far so good

Thinking about the process... perhaps before the cloth is laid down, cling wrap could be laid over the foam and structure first, that could save a great deal of pain, when F/Glass cures....dont know

Edited By A.A. Barry on 01/03/2015 05:22:44

• 4 weeks later...

whirlwind 0001 003.jpgwhirlwind 0001 002.jpgWELL, HAPPY CHAPPY, I am, the short kit arrived this morning from USA, and what a delight,3 large plans, I mean LARGE, 3 mts long, the wood is excellent and the ply is even with no knots.

I asked him to reduce the tail feather wood size, and that is done, they even supplied 2 plans of the Fuz, so there is a left and r/h building plan, as it is built on the crutch method

The U/C will have 2 oleo's per wheel , H/K do a small trike set up that has 8mm dia oleo's perfect, with retraction by Eflite large electrics. Pins need to be silver soldered yet

So now to clean down the work bench and get cracking

whirlwind 0001 001.jpg

Chris, yes that's the same one as I built but powered it with OS 56 I.C motors, and it also flew very well, (I still have it ), I did add 2" to each inner wing panel. It had a couple of 1 engine landings, but there was no sign of wing drop....lucky I suppose, it was very crowded in the nacelles tho.

In this one I'll stick a 4 cell x 8000 battery in the nose, and run the 2 motors of that, should get at least 8mins

That,s the plan, Dylan at Laser services ( UK ), has a 96" in progress, but that size is a little too big, for me

Cheers

Edited By A.A. Barry on 27/03/2015 10:24:40

whirlwind 0005 003.jpgwhirlwind 0005 002.jpgWell the Tail feathers are built, and weighed in at 78g..not bad I thought, and so to the fuz, bench was cleaned down and Cling wrap laid over the plan built on the "crutch system" parts added, and planking began, AGAIN...oh well it makes for a light structure

whirlwind 0005 001.jpg

Edited By A.A. Barry on 31/03/2015 12:37:46

I did not change the size of the tailplane and only fully sheeted the structure. A friend of mine also built one from the same plan but his was glassed and quite a bit heavier than mine but it still flew well. He then got plans from the USA for a lage one that I think is about 120" wingspan. My Whirlwind was great to fly and had quite a few flights on it but was lost when my house burnt down due to a lipo fire.

Chris

whirlwind 0006 002.jpgwhirlwind 0006 001.jpg

With 1/2 the Fus removed, work can start on the interior, control cables, cockpit floor, servo mounts and the tail wheel

the elevator rod drives up through the centre on the fin, because the tail wheel is a folding type, steering needs to be done by cable from the front, otherwise it's reversed if taken off the rudder, so a small servo will drive the cables, all of this to be done before the other side planking can be done

lots of thinking, thinking, thinking,.but fun

cheers

Barry....