Be afraid, be VERY afraid

Advert

I an see the OP, but the post from James at 15:08:47 had disappeared from the thread, which itself disappeared, and has now re-appeared. The thread had disappeared from the Latest Threads tab, and I only found it by displaying my own posts. After I posted at 22:33 yesterday, the thread reappeared in the Latest Posts tab.

Yes, Lipo fires do happen.

No, lipo's won't spontaneously combust.

Yes, they will blow up if incorrectly charged.

No, they wont blow up just sitting around.

I've been a fire fighter for 11 yrs and NEVER been to a fire started by a Lipo battery.

I personally know someone who has had one blow up.......due to incorrect charging, by his own admission.

Can we clear up what you mean by "blow up". They will burn but to "blow up" is an explosion.

After seeing many, many vids on youtube and how folk abuse their lipos to prove a point,(or not) including stabbing with knives whilst charging, shorting, burning on BBQ's etc there has never been one exploding. Yes, some will burn, but to explode?

Do you mean they will "puff up"?

Posted by John F on 16/03/2015 12:57:58:

Can we clear up what you mean by "blow up". They will burn but to "blow up" is an explosion.

After seeing many, many vids on youtube and how folk abuse their lipos to prove a point,(or not) including stabbing with knives whilst charging, shorting, burning on BBQ's etc there has never been one exploding. Yes, some will burn, but to explode?

Do you mean they will "puff up"?

Lipos can explode, and do explode. Some folks euphemise that as "venting with flames".

Judge for yourself - this isn;t simply puffing up - look at the spread of firey fragments a second after the lipo combustion.

https://youtu.be/tatq8KcaGY0

Edited By leccyflyer on 16/03/2015 19:03:05

Posted by Rosco on 16/03/2015 11:59:24:

Yes, Lipo fires do happen.

No, lipo's won't spontaneously combust.

Yes, they will blow up if incorrectly charged.

No, they wont blow up just sitting around.

I've been a fire fighter for 11 yrs and NEVER been to a fire started by a Lipo battery.

I personally know someone who has had one blow up.......due to incorrect charging, by his own admission.

This is the kind of post that rankles me. 100% factual reports disparaged by an 'expert'.
As a professional you should not be giving advice based on ignorance of factual events.
Do you read the news Rosco?

Phil

Hmmm......I knew this would happen.

I never said they don't happen.

I never said I was an expert. I merely stated my profession to give readers the context behind my post.

I have not given any advice.

I read the news and I directly deal with the consequences if the said happens.

Did you know that boiling the kettle is dangerous because you might start a fire.

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 16/03/2015 22:35:02

Edited By Rosco on 16/03/2015 22:38:48

rosco.jpg

I report a factual occurrence, experienced by a highly respected power systems expert.
Rosco directly contradicts my post. Which bit did I misread? 

Posted by Rosco on 16/03/2015 22:28:21:

I read the news and I directly deal with the consequences if the said happens.

You'll have read about this then:   Drone lipo battery catches fire aboard KL875

...and another you'll have read about: Undeclared drone batteries sparked plane fire at Melbourne airport

By declaring your profession as a fire fighter Rosco you are qualifying your statement. You know about this stuff, you're a fire fighter.  However the fact is is that a (thankfully) few of us know that your statement is false. Whilst we have all agreed that fires are very rare occurrences, your post reads as a complete dismissal of the problem, which I find unprofessional. I hope others can see this too.

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 17/03/2015 01:03:32

Rosco, I highlighted the statement in question with a red circle. You said "No, lipos wont spontaneously combust" in direct criticism of my statement that very occasionally they can and do. I gave a personal account and a couple of example links from the press, one from only a few days ago.

I take it from your 'full stop' comment that you decline to comment on these very real events, or that you deny their authenticity.

I'm not scare-mongering, I'm simply saying that a small chance is not a zero chance. I suggested that by taking some very simple precautions with storage and charging locations, a fire could be contained.

However as my concerns are attracting only ridicule I'll leave you to it. You're the expert, lipos are absolutely 100% safe and no lipo has ever spontaneously caught fire.

I'm out.
Phil

Posted by BayNavigator on 14/03/2015 10:56:11:

P.S. Mobile phones don't use Lipo batteries, although they do use other types of Lithium battery mostly Lion. Wikipedia gives a good explanation, but your handheld electronic devices definitely do not contain soft cased Lithium-Polymer batteries.

It would be educational to point out the difference between Li-ion an Li-Iron. One technology is lithium polymer based LiPo and one is ferrite based LiFe. A big difference people!

Unfortunately, they both slip easily off the tongue but apart from the slightly lower voltage and energy of lithium - iron technology, the Fe (iron) variety appear to be much safer for casual use.

Wiki is fine, but not the world's ultimate resource, as the input is sometimes from unverified sources.

* Danny M *

Danny M2Z, thanks for that. I seem to have misunderstood the information I read in Wikipedia and yes the input is often unverified. Maybe the P.S. to my post was unfortunate.

However, I still prefer to use LiFe batteries after witnessing the devastation caused by a Lipo fire in our local model shop. They are just more tolerant of abuse and offer nearly the same performance as Lipos.