OS 30 FS Surpass Discontinued?

Moonpie

Just checking through Just Engines spares section for a valve spring to replace a broken one on my mostly knackered OS30 FS and thought I'd check how much a complete new motor is out of curiosity, and it indicates that it's discontinued!

And the little motor is showing on O.S. Web page in their discontinued line. Bit of a shame really, Saito still doing their 30 size and guess the SC and ASP version of the 30FS is that much cheaper. Still, I am gutted that the choice is narrowing for the little IC engines.

Advert

This engine was my first four stroke, so I am fond of it. In 2006 when I purchased it, think it was £120. I've had my money out of it. It's tollerated a lot of abuse as I fumbled my way round four strokes and rc flying in general, mostly in a Junior 60. It's had many many hours of running. I will stock up on some spares while I can.

I did have a look at an SC version a few years back at the model shop, but the fit and finish on it was nothing like the OS. But it was only £95. I can see that these little engines are quite niche, and electric has filled this gap, are probably cheaper, easier, less noise and mess. Most planes at the club are pretty big and petrol powered. Only a few of the smaller ones like Wot 4's etc are glow powered and usually 2 stroke. Everything else is electric which is cool. I just have a real soft spot for any IC engine be it in my car, outboards or RC planes. I reckon as I approach my 40s , I am gradually turning into some weird eccentric type with my small glow FS engines, and a few diesels. I like cats too!

Hope Saito keep going with their smaller range. I had better make the most of their availability.

A kindred spirit! Yes I'm a crazy cat man, with a love of 4 strokes. I do not have a 2s in my collection. Virtually everyone in the club is lecrick, or at the least is a whiny 2 stroke.

Asad demise, but inevitable! crying

Edited By Stevo on 15/03/2015 15:21:17

Ah but for those of us for whom the noise, oil, smell and occasional recalcitrance are all part of the fun, there's never been a better time to buy a good second-hand glow engine!

I cannot get the idea of buying an Enya out of my head. I've had them in the past but never really appreciated them for the solid reliable engines that they are, and have always sold them on. I'm considering something in the 40-60 range. God knows why for I've got a Super Tigre 40, an Irvine 46 and 53, an OS, Meteor and K&B 61s and none of them are currently in a model!

I suppose I just want a piece of aeromodelling history. indecision

I've had a SC 30fs for years in a junior 60....until the wings clapped and it turned into a missile. The engine suffered no ill effects.

The SC has run beautifully for all that time, needed very little carb adjustment , started easily. And would only go sick when a new plug was needed. I still have it oiled and boxed.

Excellent Stevo, love my cats, very therapeutic. But they get the hump with me when I run an engine up in the garden! I have a few 2 stroke glows, but never got round to using one in anger in a plane. Diesels I have, no throttle on most of them, so it's flat out till the juice runs out. Is it a dead stick landing still if the flight plan includes the full expectation that the motor will cut, rather than unexpectedly?

About five years ago I went a bit crazy on ebay and bought loads of 1950s diesels. They are good fun to mess about with. Most have sub piston induction so do not respond well to throttles. I have an Indian Mills that's fine with a throttle, and a DC Wildcat that throttles brilliantly. One of my dads friends gave me two Enya's. A .29 and a .35, I should use them over winter really as they are plain bearing and won't have to fret so much over ball races and oil.

I beefed up the wings on my J60 by extending and staggering the bracing either side of the wing spars. Seems ok, I've thrown it about a fair bit when I didn't know any better. Don't anymore, it's just not seemly. Got an Acro Wot for that.

Back to the OS and SC 30 four strokes, I seem to remember that the SC looked like it had ball races holding the cam and worm gear, whereas I know for a fact the OS had bronze bushes for the cam bearings. If this is the case then the SC defo has one design advantage.

Posted by David Davis on 15/03/2015 15:33:23:

I cannot get the idea of buying an Enya out of my head. I've had them in the past but never really appreciated them for the solid reliable engines that they are, and have always sold them on. I'm considering something in the 40-60 range. God knows why for I've got a Super Tigre 40, an Irvine 46 and 53, an OS, Meteor and K&B 61s and none of them are currently in a model!

I suppose I just want a piece of aeromodelling history. indecision

Go on go for it .The four strokes are brilliant if a little expensive . They do crop up regularly second hand and spares are available for most Enya's,even the very early ones from Steve Web models. I have an old Enya 60 FS in a x2 lady Bird . It flies brilliantly on low throttle and is a delight on warm summer evenings .

photo LadyBird.jpg

Edited By Engine Doctor on 16/03/2015 15:45:57

Edited By Engine Doctor on 16/03/2015 15:48:11