ME 109's

Tony Bennett

Advert

• 1 month later...

Bad egg more like!

Tony's ME109 flew well but needed a few adjustments along the way. First flight went OK but roll control was almost non existent, luckily the 109 has a decent amount of dihedral and the single circuit was nurtured round using the rudder. It was also very pitch sensitive so for the second run maximum throws on the ailerons and a significant amount of church roof was added up front. This gave better results with a very nice flying model with good roll response.

However, despite the increase nose weight there was still pitch sensitivity which is a sure sign that there is not enough tailplane area. This was highlighted on the down wind legs when there wasn't as much airflow over the surfaces.

So, if it were me I would increase aileron size and add around 10% in area to the tail, move the servos forward of the CG and that should sort things out.

A cracking model, well designed and put together which is light for its size! looking forward to getting it out in calmer conditions.

Rich

"This was highlighted on the down wind legs when there wasn't as much airflow over the surfaces'. Not too sure why that should be Rich? The model doesn't know whether it is flying into wind or downwind as the airspeed is the same. So I don't know why the model should be any more pitch sensitive when flying downwind. Just curious.

The tailplane does look a tad small and the ailerons tiny, just like the full size. Very nice looking model though, amazing what can be done with depron. Looking forward to seeing the completed Meteor!

It does not surprise me that the model is sensitive in pitch, even with a forward CG.

I think my test pilot is one of the group you have used when proving and developing the Panther.

He had difficulty in getting my version away. The wing in my case was modified to get some washout into it. That cured the tendency to tip stall on launch, although in pitch, it still seemed less than harmonised in feel.

I have noticed that the pretty light weight Ripmax 109s, are less kind in handling than their Spitfire. It could all be down to a biggish forward Fuz, a skinny back end, small tailplane and Rudder. In my case I have no rudder servo.

bf109side.jpg

bf109tback.jpg

I have considered building a H version.

I think the other surprise it is a contrast with my Ta 152H, which is a little akin to a glider on the landing approach and is easy to fly.

Anyway well done Tony, yours seems to fly well.