I hate Solafilm and Profilm

My Mig build has already been started as it was a swap meet find. The wings are beautifully finished in what appears to be painted tissue and dope.

What lightweight finish will give me the same result?

If I should continue with tissue and dope, then how? I've never done it, nor seen it done.

Advert

Shaun.....I have been at this building game many years, and I have found Profilm the icing on the cake as far as a covering material, so pal I do not know what you are doing to get a bad finish. Profilm will take all modelling paints except celulose based. The finished model needs wiping over with Isoropyl alcohole and is ready for painting.  Spectra can be brushed or purchase in spray cans, and it is fuel resistant. What must be remember the finish is only as good as the preparation, and that applies to any paint or film covering..............Don't forget 95% of RTF use profilm  

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 27/01/2011 07:49:22

When I started modelling tissue and dope was the norm,it's all we had, today I think it would kill me.

I can understand you wish to do the wing justice by continuing that finish on the fuselage, but I think us modellers tend to go OTT with Warbird finishes, we become brainwashed with these pristine privately owned  warbirds seen at our shows, which are nothing like the true finish.

The ME 262 I have just finished, Is covered in grey Profilm. That fuselage has some serious compound curves, but was covered in  four panels of film, starting at the bottom, sides, then top.  The seams  you can see, but you need to look hard.

Best of luck on whatever you choice.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 27/01/2011 07:48:06

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 27/01/2011 07:48:17

you could get lightweight solarfilm called So-lite. Go to www.solarfilm.co.uk , click on iron-on coverings and then so-lite. There is no direct link. I've used it on a number of models. It works best on sheeted surfaces. Remember to keep your iron temperature low as it is thinner than ordinary film.

Good luck with the build whichever method you choose.

• 2 years later...