Mystic

Well I spent some savings on a Galaxy Mystic as a first venture into low wing flying, being a bit premature as I'm still training. Hopefully by the time I've completed this I maybe close to moving onwards and upwards. I did some research and to my reckoning the Mystic should be a steadier flier to the Magician as its a larger wingspan and it says on the instructions it's suitable as a first low wing model.

It will be a while before I start so it will give me time to collect other parts needed. I've googled and looked for completed weights and fuel motors used but there's not much about the Mystic, plenty on the Magician. If I can afford it I'd love a 4 stroke, recommended sizes range from 70 - 120. Any advise appreciated...yes

Forgot to say the last complete build I did was rubber powered and over 35 years ago.

Edited By trebor on 24/03/2015 17:28:32

Advert

Had a couple they are nice, especially if fitted with large wheels, touch and goes are funny when watching the wheels springing back and forward.

above 120 four stroke defo not lower, no doubt someone would have flown on a lower size, go large and enjoy.

As it is to be a new build I would recommend sheeting the tail feathers for extra strength, it is advised when using larger engines, you may find yourself fitting a petrol later on so it will save hassle and do it first.

Thanks chaps, I like the rear ended canopy look it's got. As I'm a novice do you think a 120 is a bit powerful though ? Any tips on putting it together, best glue to use on the wings, snakes or push pull wires, wing mounted servos ?

Galaxy (shame they're gone) used to recommend a 75 2 st., but no harm in going
larger as there's always a throttle control.smile
Built a couple of Magicians & they fly superbly & look great in the air - the rear set
canopy configuration gives it a unique look.
The Wizard has a few differences but some of the techniques, such as foam
wing construction will be similar.
Good luck with it.

Posted by bert baker on 24/03/2015 17:47:32:

Had a couple they are nice, especially if fitted with large wheels, touch and goes are funny when watching the wheels springing back and forward.

above 120 four stroke defo not lower, no doubt someone would have flown on a lower size, go large and enjoy.

As it is to be a new build I would recommend sheeting the tail feathers for extra strength, it is advised when using larger engines, you may find yourself fitting a petrol later on so it will save hassle and do it first.

I've just looked at the leg wheel spindles, at 4.9 mm dia rod are you sure they spring about. They remind me of a spoke from a tractor wheel.. surprise I've no other bits for this yet and I recon if I change the undercarriage that would give me more options inside the fuselage.

The Mystic is a great flying model The one I flew for a club mate  had a ST 90 for power that would keep cutting out suddenly .Not a problem though as it would glide on .........and ................on........ and...............on and always made it back to the patch  smiley.Ive  never flown the smaller versions though .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 26/03/2015 10:51:49

Posted by Richard Wood on 26/03/2015 11:37:11:

Yes, it's fibreglass - very light & strong.
They're the same type as supplied in some Chris Foss kits:

**LINK**

That medium is closest for me but 27 mm narrower, the large would stick out 15 mm either side on the top mounted. Would 13 mm make any difference each side on the wheels. thinking

A 27mm narrower overall track width between the wheels shouldn't be much
of a problem.
Incidentally M6 nylon bolts into captive nuts is the best way to fix these things.
Metal bolts will rip out bits of the fuselage in a heavy arrival, but nylon bolts
should shear - as intended, & leave the fuselage undamaged.

Edited By Richard Wood on 26/03/2015 16:35:39

trebor.... unless you need to alter the mystic set up-I would go with what is in the kit for an undercarriage..... it works as intended etc......also a 91/4st will struggle with the model(in my experience/opinion) .....with the 90/ST 2st...I felt it could have done with a bit more umph...

ken Anderson...ne...1 umph dept.

Cheers Ken, I was only thinking about the drilling of bulkheads. The motor mounts would be ok but throttle line control not knowing what motor yet means I have to wait before I start it as the wheel mount bulkhead might be a sod to alter afterwards.

I use the standard moulded plastic engine mounts for both 90 2s or 120 4s motors. As for servos, I'd step up a size from 'standard' size - 3003, 148, HS322 and the like which are around 3kg.cm output, maybe 5kg.cm + size, HS645, 3152 or for budget servos MG996Rs seem ok, If you ca stretch to it I really like the Savox 7kg.cm units at around £13 a throw for SC0352, or for a little more SC0254s 

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 31/03/2015 11:26:07

Would I be better mounting servos in the wing smack in the middle of aileron or stick to the internal rods just working off 1 servo ?

How do you work out which servos needed is it to do with the scale / size of the plane and the power from the engine ?

Personal choice in a one piece wing. Fashion says to use two servos these days but for a general sports model a single servo driving torque rods still works fine. No doubt that will be immediately contradicted but it works ok for me on my Acrowot and Dragon Lady.

If you use a single servo I'd definitely go for a 5-7kg.cm rated servo. For a twin setup you can use 3003/3001/148/HS322/HS325 or similar 3kg.cm types. I try to mount twin servos at about 1/3 of the aileron span out from the centre of the wing. That seems a reasonable compromise between keeping the extensions a bit shorter and balancing the potential for the aileron to twist to me.

As for sizing servos - it's a lot of guesswork really, based on the expected speed and size of the model, and the way in which it will be flown. there are calculators out there but even they involve a degree of guesswork regarding the speed of the model and how much control deflection will be needed.

What I'm suggesting above is what I've found to work, pure practical experience, nothing more. For a 90 size aerobatic sports model with a reasonable safety margin you can use standard servos but control may be a bit soggy at the limits of the model once you start throwing it around.

Thanks, here's another one. On the destructions it mentions sheeting the tail if a motor larger than .90 is used. Now does that mean sheeting on top of the planned structure, or both sides of structure, or instead of the original structure just use sheet material. thinking Now if your not confused by now like I am does it mean the elevator or rudder or both ?