Mystic

Advert

645MGs would do, I have them in a 1.80 powered Christen Eagle and they're not sloppy at all but how about Savox 0352 or 0254 or for MG ball raced 0252MG - also available at other suppliers but easy to link to on Webb's website! I've got no complaints with the Savox servos I've used, they seem to be well made with overload protection and take standard Futaba style arms.

when the mystic first appeared last century - don't forget we didn't have the Vast selection of servo's we now have to choose from.....so don't get too hung up about which one's to choose/use etc.....in fact I would have thought that it was designed around pretty much standard one's compared to what we have now....

ken Anderson...ne..1 last century dept.

A great model. I used an OPS 120 four stroke and it would get away quite nippily. Touch and goes were a delight and on the approach it would almost land itself. I used standard servos and you should definitely use the original undercarriage, it had the correct sit and the 'rate' of the legs was spot on - no second bounce. I can't remember if it was supplied with a steerable tail wheel but mine did. I still have the spats as our patch was not friendly enough to use them. Making me all lustful now.

Well I am with Ken, The servo option was the reliable and trusted Futaba 148.

The only difference was that on both of the ones I have owned I put the servos under the tail plane and had short rods.

Yes although the under carage wire is quite chunky it will spring back and forward during touch and goes. I never had any problems with it and would keep it standard.

Way back in the late eighties when I was poor I had my first one and I fitted a ASP 90, I also fitted a smoke system, I replaced the motor with a ASP 108. can't remember why.

Have tried Saito 120 very good and Laser 150. SuperTigre 2300. Super Tigre 90. OS BX 108.

All I would say is back in time My pocket dictated what I spent on engines, For me at that time if it said a forty size I would get the cheapest forty I could find, then if  a club mate turned up with the same model but a nice OS on the front I would spend time wondering why my engine was not performing as well as the OS,

I think we were all being slightly misled about engine size for a kit. OK the cc rating is important but so is the HP output

It's an old design and was done with using standard radio gear.

Edited By bert baker on 01/04/2015 11:36:25

I found the Magician was easily prone to nose over with the U/C in standard position
& eventually bent it forwards a bit - it might have been my inadequate ground
handling skills mind!
The Mystic isn't a Magician of course but perhaps something to bear in mind.

Edited By Richard Wood on 01/04/2015 12:12:46

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Thread resurrection - I picked up a second hand Mystic for very little and now I could use some info on the model.

First, this example is quite nicely finished in either well sprayed Solartex or white Glosstex and sported a home made half cowl. It looks like it may have been fitted with a large petrol motor from the amount of cowl that's cut away and the odd engine mountings.

I've replaced all the rather old control horns, freed up the wire in tube pushrods, bolted an OS 120 surpass up front , fitted a cowl from Pegasus models (£10 - very reasonable). For control I've kitted it out with a mix of spare servos that seemed to fit the bill - 3001s (3kg) on ailerons, BMS620 (10kg?) on rudder, two HXT5010 (5kg) on elevators and a 148 on throttle. The battery is a 5 cell Sub-C pack mounted in the tank bay.

The shock came when I went to balance it - about half a pound of lead needed to get it balancing at about 30% chord! AUW is 13lbs which is more than I'd expected but I can't find any details on t'web to tell me whether this is just a bit on the high side or that I should be searching the tail for hidden engineering bricks.

So - what did these normally come out at weight wise and does anyone know the recommended balance point?

In an inspired moment I had a poke around under a little hatch beneath the tailplane that I thought was for access to the closed loop - no, it's a ballast compartment with 3oz of lead. I've now removed that and the 8oz up front leaving the AUW at 11lb 14oz - 8-8 for the fuselage and 3-6 for the wing. With no ballast at either end it's balancing around 4 3/4" back from the LE or 32% chord. Close enough.

Brian, as for the 148 - I find plain bearing servos fine for throttle control, as long as it's not got too much slop. Besides it was already in there when I got it - this is cheap hack territory.

Airframe - £40

Cowl - £10

Servos, receiver,extensions, aileron servo mounts, bit of white film for patching, spinner, prop, horns, aileron pushrods, tank, mount and engine - all out of the recycled box or spares.

Total expenditure - £50 = worry free flying.wink