Clarkson dropped

Josip Vrandecic -Mes

It is a marmite moment too, I feel... however they will never create the chemistry the other three characters had and brought to TG... that is what made it a good show.. in my opinion... but I do reckon over exposure is now a real problem for Evans at the BBC.. every morning on the radio and weekly slot on this show.. at best he will present a motor show with some media and rich chums as guests.... his return of TFI Friday last week was weak; and 45mins with Lewis Hamilton on the set too was painful...

Was Lewis auditioning for TG presenter/stig replacement/track tester.. ?? Mr Evans even asked Lewis about taking over F1 from Bernie one day... especially with all the money he has from his new contract.... It all seems to follow a common thread!!

I also read Evans is "executive producer" of TG.. pushing his £3m to £5m over 3 years.. so it is all down to him now!!

Advert

Isn't everyone a Marmite person? This post will certainly be a Marmite post!

There are lots of folk who adore Top Gear and love Clarkson and are in dismay that he was sacked. (conveniently forgetting that what he did was what most non celebs would end up in court over)

I really, really, don't like the guy, as I find him arrogant and boorish, and I absolutely hate, with a passion, the fact that Top Gear has ended up with ridiculous stunts in foreign countries and "reviews" which are simply three guys in very expensive cars, driving around going "woahhh, this is fast!!". Although I can see how it does appeal to the petrol heads and the boy racers with IQ's in single figures.

Top Gear had nothing whatsoever to do with motoring for us normal folk and had nowt to do with any kind of common sense on the roads; it was just a vehicle (excuse the pun) for three blokes to pratt around in, and get paid for doing so.

Chris Evans may well be a breath of fresh air and although I have little interest in the programme, as an entity, it would be interesting to know what they do with it and how it would differ.  He is experienced in car related franchising as he created Carfest so he does know what he is doing.

Edited By John F on 18/06/2015 09:55:41

Posted by John F on 18/06/2015 09:53:10:

Although I can see how it does appeal to the petrol heads and the boy racers with IQ's in single figures.

Bit of a sweeping derogatory statement John, there are plenty of highly intelligent people world wide who were great fans of Top Gear. When you've got a spare minute or three do a Google search and see just how many. wink

Posted by John F on 18/06/2015 09:53:10:Although I can see how it does appeal to the petrol heads and the boy racers with IQ's in single figures.

You should look at the facts behind the world wide consumption of Top Gear:

• Guinness record holder for most watched factual program globally
  • Sold to 214 Territories worldwide
  • 2 Million Youtube subscribers
  • 19 Million Facebook followers
  • Top Gear Magazine 1.67 Million world wide
  • 4 Million Unique Visitors to the Top Gear Web Site
  • Half a Billion Web Site Page Views
  • 8.9 Million Top Gear Game Apps downloads in 2014
  • 1.5 Million Visitors to Top Gear Live

For the BBC that represents a huge income stream and possible more importantly a flagship product that opens sales doors to many more

So thats a lot of us with IQ's in Single Figures then John.......

Fantastic statistics.. proves just what the BBC have to lose / have lost really..

Cant say I agree with the actions that got Clarkson into trouble.. but it was after work, and he did report himself; he did visit the chap to apologise; any internal review by the BBC should have remained just that.. internal in an atempt to clear the air and get back to normal for the sake of all concerned.

For it all to be judged in the media has killed the golden goose here and made it impossible for a satisfactory outcome to be acheived for all parties..... The TG presenters can retire; but what of the 100 or so involved in the production team if the Ginger version doesnt work out..??

As the consummers of the show, we are the losers.. BBC will no longer make the cash they used too = less income, for those of us how liked the show, then there is now even less reason to watch the BBC!

(Dont forget Ginger evans is now "also" Exec Producer so I guess he will get some of the production revenues too, maybe a "welcome bonus" like the bankers)

TG wasnt held up as a factual motoring series, it moved with the times and became a little light relief around the latest cars which the world happened to love; the figures speak for themselves.. it was a spot of good natured banter and fun.. something, I reckon, we all need..

Akin to an afternoon at the patch shooting the breeze and our pals latest creation(s) to bits.. it was good fun.. for serious I watch the news.. but turn off after 5mins as it is depressing.

Not a fan of Evans or a petrol head but if people enjoy motoring shows...as they obviously dowink I hope it works out.

Being a sports fan in general I got used to having an I.Q in the minus numbers ( according to some who play with toy aeroplanes ) a while ago, don't let it upset you folks, it takes little intellect to be unpleasant.

John

I dont think the BBC had any choice about the eventual outcome once the news of the incident was "leaked" to the press by people in the Pub/Hotel where it took place - once it was in the media it generated a life of its own and the BBC was in devil and the deep blue sea - sack Clarkson and probably kill the golden goose or keep Clarkson and open themselves to the accusation of "one law for us and one for them" - A no win situation if ever there was one!

The losers? Everyone who watched/made TG, The Winners who ever it was got their 30 pieces of silver from the Tabloids and various lawers, oh and the channel that collects CLA-MAY-HAM up for a new show

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 18/06/2015 13:01:47:

The losers? Everyone who watched/made TG, The Winners who ever it was got their 30 pieces of silver from the Tabloids and various lawers, oh and the channel that collects CLA-MAY-HAM up for a new show

AGREED! yes

I'm sorry but am I the only one who thinks that, in any other workplace situation, if someone punched a colleague in the face, instant dismissal would have occurred?

Why should this have been dealt with by an internal inquiry and then probably brushed under the carpet?

Much as I loved watching Top Gear and could, on that program at least, put up with Clarksons right wing views, I'm sorry to say it, he had to be fired.

The fact that the show is hugely popular has absolutly nothing to do with it.

If Jimmy Savil had been found out at the height of his popularity, would his and his shows success been considered mitigation? If the true extent of his crimes been in the public eye, I very much doubt it.

Area 51. I agree absolutely. Every single word!

Michael, I thought long and hard about your points above when the story first broke. To me, the big point most people have missed is the statement from North Yorkshire Police, where they admitted that new evidence came to light after the BBC sacked him, and based on that evidence, the police decided not to prosecute.

If Jimmy Saville had been found out, he would have been prosecuted.

To me, that's the best summary. Media, speculation, opinion, and the BBC covering it's own backside is all subjective, but a police charge is a police charge, and I trust the police to do a much more thorough job than either the BBC or the popular press...

Edited By The Wright Stuff on 18/06/2015 14:57:01

Frankly, I wouldn't trust the police any further than I could throw one of their (usually) overweight officers. The number of C*ck-ups the police have been involved in over the last few years should dispel any doubt on that subject. From Rotherham to Plebgate to Hillsborough to Jean Charles De Menezes they've proven to be corrupt, ineffectual, happy to turn a blind eye when it suits them to outright incompetent.

But despite my tenuous connection to Jimmy Saville, it wasn't necessarily about a criminal charge. Look at most large businesses conditions of employment and you'll find that asault on a colleague is normally a dismissable offence. Assault in the workplace is not uncommon and usualy results in a sacking.

Frankly, despite wether the police choose to prosecute him or not, punching someone in the face is just unacceptable.

Let me re-iterate, I loved Top Gear and will miss it. I doubt very much it will measure up with Chris Evans in it and I think the concensus of opinion on this thread supports that view.

Edited By Michael Ramsay-Fraser on 18/06/2015 16:21:30

Edited By Michael Ramsay-Fraser on 18/06/2015 16:26:11

Do you know something.. if the hotel the TG team were staying at had kept the chef on duty to cook some grits for the lads who were arriving late.. non of this would have come about, even if chef did go home.. the manager should have stepped in and provided something better than a tray of sandwiches...

From recollection the TG team took over the hotel for 4-5days.. the whole place, just who the management failed to provide 24hr access to someone who could cook during this period is beyond me!

This really all should have been sorted out between the two blokes, man to man over a beer and some apologies.. and then get on with life.. no handbags at dawn, youll be hearing from my solicitors.... TG was always anti this type of behaviour.. Jezzer did visit the guy to apologise .. "he was informed by his brief" not to accept the visit...

Where is all this coming from - compensation claims.. queue the cases all mentioned above.. many driven by the compensation culture we now are surrounded by... then we have the media tycoons who think they all know what we need... Cue Cowell, Ginger etc etc

Sad times..

So now it's the hotels fault that Clarkson lost the plot and thumped someone?

Whilst the idea of sorting things out over a pint man to man might work in some situations, when it involves an 'A list' celebrity, the other guy is always going to loose out. How many time do we see Premier league players getting off with motoring offences or other kinds of behaviour that the rest of us would be up in court for?

If one thing hacks me off, it's the injustice of a society where the rich and famous get treated in a different way from everyone else and what's worse is that people make excuses for them. Oh' thats just the kind of guy he is or he was just letting off steam or she was just trying to avoid the paps. We're too good at appologising for people that don't have the slightest interest or clue about real life.

As a presenter of TG, I liked Clarkson but even he has had the decency to admit what he did was wrong.

Posted by Michael Ramsay-Fraser on 18/06/2015 16:20:07:

Frankly, I wouldn't trust the police any further than I could throw one of their (usually) overweight officers. The number of C*ck-ups the police have been involved in over the last few years should dispel any doubt on that subject. From Rotherham to Plebgate to Hillsborough to Jean Charles De Menezes they've proven to be corrupt, ineffectual, happy to turn a blind eye when it suits them to outright incompetent.

Even if that was generally true (and I sincerely hope it isn't), a criminal record (or lack thereof) is still black or white. My point was simply that if he was prosecuted, the BBC would have no choice but to sack him. As it is, they did have that choice.

Now of course you can argue that it's 'normally a dismissable offence' and 'usually results in a sacking'. But one could just as easily equally argue that there were mitigating factors which meant this wasn't 'normal' or 'usual'.

So on balance, I think the BBC made a tough choice, but I don't think it was as clear-cut as you make out...

Michael, I find your remarks unnecessary and insulting, to quote, "Frankly, I wouldn't trust the police any further than I could throw one of their (usually) overweight officers. The number of C*ck-ups the police have been involved in over the last few years should dispel any doubt on that subject. From Rotherham to Plebgate to Hillsborough to Jean Charles De Menezes they've proven to be corrupt, ineffectual, happy to turn a blind eye when it suits them to outright incompetent." I am an ex pig, I have pride, integrity, and guts. I admit a bit bigger nowadays, but I bet you my DX9 that you are incapable of moving me anywhere against my will. We are aero modellers and I will therefore assume you are overexcited, and out of sorts. This blog is about model aircraft movers, in which if you have any fun, my old lot will see you banned. To quote the speaker of the house, "calm yourself man"

Edited By Donald Fry on 18/06/2015 18:35:58

I'm sorry if you find yourself insulted, Donald but I stand by my comments. My personal experience with the police has left a lot to be desired. I don't doubt your own pride, integrity and guts but even you have to admit that the reputation of the poliice has suffered greatly over the years, mostly brought about by their own shortcomings. The incidents I mentioned in my post are just a few of the many sad cases where the police have badly let down the people they are supposed to serve.

You are quite right, however This is a forum about model aircraft but this thread is about Clarkson and the rights/wrongs of his actions. A previous poster suggested that because the police declined to prosecute, that this may in some way indicate that his actions were better delt with by his employers. I'm simply diagreeing with that opinion.

Edited By Michael Ramsay-Fraser on 18/06/2015 20:11:46