Clarkson dropped

Josip Vrandecic -Mes

I'll take that as an invitation, BEB!

Well, I strongly condemn Clarkson’s actions, but I think it was subsequently very badly handled by the BBC and the media in general. I think that a punishment was entirely justified, but to do it in a way that also punished others, arguably more, was not.

Who has ACTUALLY benefitted from the sacking? Certainly not the producer. In fact, let’s use his name – he’s not Voldemort! Oisin Tymon is the victim here: not only of the initial assault but also of the subsequent BBC actions. He did not report it himself, did not subsequently want to press charges, and has said only that he wanted to get on with his life and do the job he loved: producing Top Gear! He has said that the investigation has taken a toll on himself and his family. How interesting that he didn’t say the attack was the thing that took the toll. I think they all wish that this could have just been sorted out down the pub with a handshake and a pint: in the spirit of the camaraderie of the programme. I don’t think TG will succeed without JC – not because he carried the show (the others are outstanding talents in their own right), but because there was a brilliant synergy which meant the threesome were worth more than the sum of the parts.

If one is not a fan and doesn't watch it, then one can stand proudly on the moral high ground without any personal sacrifice. There seems to be a implicit suggestion here that people who watch Top Gear are sad individuals who have nothing better to do with their Sunday afternoons. Perhaps some of them are. More of them are families who watch it together with their children as enjoyable and stimulating bonding time - it is a popular family show, and interestingly, although not really relevant, over 40% of the viewers are female.

What about the people near to the top of the (reputedly) 18-year long waiting list to appear in the studio audience? What about the elderly in the care homes who are wheeled to the TV room on a Sunday afternoon to watch it as the highlight of their week (not apocryphal, incidentally)? What about the 5 million people in the UK who make it BBC2 most popular show, and the 300 million people worldwide who pay to watch it? It's 'just a TV show', but TV shows are very easily distributed! Ask the politicians! I totally understand the argument that the incremental impact of a daft TV show on an individual's life is truly miniscule and utterly negligible. But multiplied up by a factor of 300 million, I'd say that at the very least, there is a valid debate to be had. So why is it 'just a TV show', when it's entertaining - creating happiness in - 300 million people, but a global news item when a man in a restaurant who ought to behave better loses his temper?

I agree with whoever said that "I can't find a teacup small enough or a storm big enough to express how strongly I feel about this". As for the Saville comparisons, what Clarkson did was stupid, irresponsible, inexcusable and unjustifiable, but not unforgivable! That's the difference!

And on that bombshell...

Edited By The Wright Stuff on 30/03/2015 12:04:05

Advert

• 2 months later...
Posted by cymaz on 25/03/2015 18:34:06:

Chris Evans will not be taking up the post left by JC.

Sadly the BBC have now announced otherwise...

I can't see the programme surviving. He might have mellowed with time, but I find Evans to be an obnoxious little person (the word I would have used would probably get me barred from here.)

Well, I for one think Evans will do a good job. I wasn't happy when he took over from Terry Wogan, but he won me over and he's increased the program's listening figures dramatically. He knows cars and his motoring column in the Mail on Sunday is actually very good. I don't want TG to go back to the days of William Woolard, but I'm hoping it will become a motoring programme again instead of an entertainment show featuring cars - and hopefully motorbikes.

I think It'll be interesting to see what the "all new lineup" will consist of. We now know that Hamster and May will not be involved, so that means new co-presenters. I really can't think of anyone capable, but it wouldnt surprise me if the BBC choose presenters as equally obnoxious as the "ginger whinger".

Well, that's put me off ever watching TG again.

Never liked him on TFI Friday. Couldn't stand him on Radio 1 breakfast show. Particularly when he de-camped the whole program to Inverness and then insulted anyone and everyone in the area. (Inverness just happens to be my birth place).

Not a patch on Wogan on R2 and an instant re-tune to the local commercial station.

I simply refuse to watch the dire One Show on BBC1 but thats not Evans fault. The whole show is dreadful.

I find him pompous, arrogant and generally irritating. A real Marmite presenter so no more TG for me, sadly.

I don't like Marmite either but I'd rather eat a whole jar of it than have to put up with Evans.

Well, it took me all of one minute to switch off Radio 5 Live this morning. Nicky Campbell talking to another broadcaster/journo about how great Evans will be, and was allegedly then following that up with an hour long phone in on the same subject, fer crying out loud angry

There's nothing more tedious than media luvvies blowing each others trumpets.. When will presenters realise that they themselves are not the story .... ?

Posted by Michael Ramsay-Fraser on 17/06/2015 10:09:02:

Not a patch on Wogan on R2 and an instant re-tune to the local commercial station.

I find him pompous, arrogant and generally irritating. A real Marmite presenter so no more TG for me, sadly.

I don't like Marmite either but I'd rather eat a whole jar of it than have to put up with Evans.

Well, all I can say is that Chris Evans has increased the number of people listening to his radio show from 7.0 m when Wogan left, to 9.85 currently who obviously do not share your opinion.

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 17/06/2015 11:21:45

My initial response was negative, but to be fair, Chris seems to be genuine in his desire to do it, and he has the passion when it comes to the cars, so on that basis, I for one am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I think whether it works will depend hugely on who the co-presenters are, and the interplay between them.

I will also be interested to see if Chris can replicate the intensely serious and even moving moments that Clarkson could pull off spectacularly well. Examples are the commentary to the Senna footage when they visited Imola, or overlooking the Valley of Death in the Ukraine road trip. For me, it was the radical contrast between the intensely silly, and the genuinely sober, that made Clarkson so perfect for the role...

Time will tell...

Edited By The Wright Stuff on 17/06/2015 12:02:45

Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 17/06/2015 11:21:33:
Posted by Michael Ramsay-Fraser on 17/06/2015 10:09:02:

Well, all I can say is that Chris Evans has increased the number of people listening to his radio show from 7.0 m when Wogan left, to 9.85 currently who obviously do not share your opinion.

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 17/06/2015 11:21:45

I was expressing a personal opinion, not the collective view of 9.85 million people who just happen to have no taste.

It's a joke, btw.

Marmite indeed! Not a great fan Although I may try and keep an open mind and watch at least a couple of episodes before I make my mind up. I will miss JC and his team . I didn't always agree with his comments but he did make me laugh!

Wonder if Guy Martin might also be in contention . I did enjoy his refreshing presentation of India recently

As it looks increasingly likely that CLA-MAY-HAM may appear on another channel with a replacement for Top Gear under a new name, that may leave the BBC and CE up a certain creek without a paddle, so I fully expect CE's version of Top Gear to be substantially different - he will want to make it his program and not try to imitate JC - of course who CE chooses as co-presenters will have a huge bearing on the tone of the program

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 17/06/2015 13:32:05:

As it looks increasingly likely that CLA-MAY-HAM may appear on another channel with a replacement for Top Gear under a new name, that may leave the BBC and CE up a certain creek without a paddle, so I fully expect CE's version of Top Gear to be substantially different - he will want to make it his program and not try to imitate JC - of course who CE chooses as co-presenters will have a huge bearing on the tone of the program

Yes, good point. I not sure how much of the content will be protected for use by the BBC - they have already said that they will retain the 'star in a reasonably priced car' feature...

... and I would pay good money to see Jeremy Clarkson as the first guest!!!

Great, another millionaire celebrity gets to indulge their hobby at the licence fee payers expense. Thought we were well rid of recycled teenagers acting the goat.

I actually don't mind Chris Evans (in small doses), but the whole Top Gear format is tired and worn down to its tread limit - just let it fade away.

Edited By Cuban8 on 17/06/2015 19:20:26

I agree that Chris Evans is a Marmite presenter, I happen not to like him but it doesn't bother me that others do. The BBC does have a habit of finding a presenter that they thinks 'works' with the public and then using them on everything they can. Clare Balding is the one example I can think of at the moment. She appeared on everything. Over the last few years I've obviously been out of step with the Controller of BBC1, there are very few programmes worth watching on that Channel.