Chart Mascot

Stephen Tye

Advert

I learned to fly on my own - with my Mascot. Had been damaged a few times, once where I took off with the ailerons reversed, although it'd had flown before, but before computer radio and model memories, had to reset the trims and reverse for every model you flew on that tx then.

It can be done, but I learned to fly in two weeks, fully, but did slope soaring as well, then moved back onto IC powered trainer - by then could fully fly it, just getting used to engine throttle and speed, etc...

A model club membership is around £50-£100 and if you're finding that expensive, and don't want to join and learn the proper way, then perhaps The RC Model Aeroplane hobby is not for you...

This is my Mascot when it was new...

Edited By Paul Marsh on 05/04/2015 10:30:48

"It can be done, but I learned to fly in two weeks, fully, but did slope soaring as well, then moved back onto IC powered trainer - by then could fully fly it, just getting used to engine throttle and speed, etc..."

Paul you must be very special! I'm now 3 years in and still very much learning even after 100's hours flying.

Posted by Stephen Tye on 05/04/2015 10:04:31:

To be honest i'v not found anything that i can't do before..

Ok let me try!!!

Well done for getting into this hobby, its great, and you,ll love it for a lifetime if you do it right.

You had enough interest to finish a mascot so well done! I did that too, and got someone that knew what they were doing to instruct me... 25yrs plus later im still doing it.

There are loads of people that have aptitudes to doing many things, and can do things when they put their minds to it, however they wouldnt last long say if they tried skydiving, piloting a real plane, lion dentistry, or bomb disposal. Have you tried any of these?

Model flying as easy as it seems, isn't.

If the price of joining a club is a consern that you cant see a benefit from, you are definitely in the wrong hobby, start building airfix kits!!

Posted by Percy Verance on 05/04/2015 10:19:33:

Who said that??????

Edited By Percy Verance on 05/04/2015 10:20:03

A few. Claims on the www. One is Mathew Henry a clergyman born 1662. Another is John Heywood in 1546 but seem to come from the Bible :Jeremiah 5:21. I'm not a religious type but there are some very relevant quotes for today's world.

The cash amount of club membership wasn't really the issue, it was more something i thought i could do without it. and i wasn't sure i would like the hobby so didn't want to lay the cash out if not etc, but now i realize i can't... plus the comments here and the health and safety issues concerned. So the conclusion has been reached that it will have to be a club. I want to learn everything from the basics up.

If the price of joining a club is a consern that you cant see a benefit from, you are definitely in the wrong hobby, start building airfix kits!!

I did actually start from Airfix kits. The next logical step after that was to start flying actual models, as full-size was out-of-reach, although did fly loads in the Air Cadets and after that.

.,..off flying...

Edited By Paul Marsh on 05/04/2015 12:55:47

Warning, this diatribe is today powered by Whisky and Cote de Bourg. It still blows down here, and I have touched no airframe bigger than my Mini Vapour.

Stephen, don't get too hung up about it. A club gives a big space in front of you. There you can crash in perfect safety. If it passes the range and vibration tests ad sickness (still can't spell nausium), with your instructor, get on with it. Stick at it and it is worth it.

PS. AFTER YOU PASSED YOUR A TEST BUY BUY HIM A BOTTLE OF WHISKEY. HE IS WORTH IT, IF NOT AS PRETTY AS THE MISQUOTED ADVERT. Thereafter strive to earn bottles of whisky, and keep this hobby going. One thing I have learnt in this hobby is the breathtaking range of knowledge and wisdom available available merely by asking " how on Gods earth do you" and the answer comes. A small bulls waste product via the anus filter is required, only a small filter.

I will be sober tomorrow.