PSS Wing Loading Help Requested

Andy,

Other than a few rocks on landing (hidden under the heather) its a great slope for PSS and we have in the past run events up there on the NW face... certainly one Id like to do again - perhaps we could do what the South African PSS flyers do and roll our a huge heavy duty tarpaulin or carpet to land on thus mitigating the risk of landing on a rock!!

I learnt to fly up Bosley Cloud too, so a special place for me, looking out over the Cheshire plain where I was raised.

Phil - it wasn't until I was recently reading through old PSS event write-ups that I recognised the location - it brought back quite a few memories. Some of the guys at work who fly electric stuff use a big roll of astro-turf as a landing strip, and I could ask about borrowing it if needed.

Edited By Andy Meade on 11/05/2015 14:58:15

Being only a little north of Bosley Cloud (Hyde near Manchester) you would think I would have flown there quite a bit, but alas, only the once!

Its a great site and as Phil has said, would be great for an inland PSS event. yes

I would definately be up for a meet up there again..

Go on Phil. Get it sorted out!!

See you all up the big rock in June!

laugh

Hi Robert,

The Traplet plan pack only includes the preformed (laser cut) parts so you will have to supply all the sheeting and strip to complete the model.

From memory - you'll need plenty of 1/16th sheet for the wing skins, some 1/8th sheet for the top and bottom fus sheeting, some 1/2" sheet for the nose blocks, and some 1/4 sheet for LE and sub TE of wings. Some triangular section (1/2" and 5/8" from memory) and some hardwood strip too for wing box longerons. Some 1/4" dowelling.

That should see you there with all the materials, but please understand my listing here is from memory so might be best to receive the plan first and work out exactly whats needed by comparing that with your scrap box inventory?

If you read the blogs, anything you see that isn't laser cut is needed in addition to the woodpack.

Other things you'll need fairly early on is a tailplane bellcrank / joiner (unless you fab your own) and some long Flair torque rods for the ailerons. Add in 4 off M2 pushrods (unless you use a snake for the elevator, then 2), plus M2 clevises and M2 ball-links if you do an online order.

Robert, if it helps, I have just done an article for the next LMMGA newsletter about the build of the JP, which I can email you if you inbox me. It has not been published yet. It does not really cover what you need as well as the woodpack, but has some tips in it. Might help. Not a lot that is not in the blogs. Phil's is the best. I fly my JP at most Leek slopes. It is light and suitable for most wind speeds.

• 2 weeks later...

The Vortex pilots arrived and have been assembled, but everything else is still outstanding; the Traplet wood pack had to be ordered from a cnc cutter apparently. But I have found the SLEC building jig out from where it was hiding.

Had hoped to have a 'Kettle Vulcan' for the next Orme meeting but he seems to have gone quiet. So pining my hopes on a cortex Mig 3.

• 2 weeks later...

1075g's before balance and....1300 after!!! 😢 there's a lot of plane behind that c of g to balance out.

I was a little concerned about the weight but that big wing helps. Maiden was only in 12 - 15 and it flew, but in a 20 plus i think it will come alive,

Edited By Phil May on 06/06/2015 20:30:49