Mike Bell's Hangar Monkey

IanR

I was looking through a thread the other day when I came across Mike Bell's avatar. I liked the look of it and pm'd Mike for details. He then kindly added a couple more photos to his album and pm'd me back to give me the following details...

"...it's an own design. It is 58 inch span powered by an OS .46 and weighs 5.5lb. The wing section is semi symmetrical (about 14% thick, I think) which gives it a nice slow landing speed and very benign stall. It does all the normal aerobatics, although snaps are a bit lazy.

I think it has a retro, control line stunter sort of look. The only bit of the styling I wasn't too happy with is around the canopy, which I moulded myself and in hindsight I might have done better to adapt a commercial item..."

>If Mike sees this post I wonder if he wouldn't mind posting his photos on the thread so that everyone can see what I'm raving about.>

>I would love to have a go at building one myself and I think it would make a brilliant plan for the magazine - what does everyone else think?>

Ian

I'm pretty sure I saw Mike fly it at Albermarle about 7 or 8 years ago. I remember the model's name & seeing the logo at the time. To someone living in the NE the Hartlepool link was obvious.

The model's as nice in the flesh as the photos suggest & Mike it flew it beautifuly in very strong wind conditions at Albermarle. IMO definitely a worthy plan build for anyone who like sports aerobatic models that also look good. thumbs up

PS - Everything's going to be alright for Hartlepool now, hope the same goes for the Mags & the Mackems by the end of the season. wink 2

Edited By PatMc on 05/05/2015 23:15:55

I think It's beautiful and will interest loads of people. It's very much in the Peter Miller mould to me, pretty, semi-scale and with proven design characteristics. I'm sure that the "14%" refers to the wing thickness/chord ratio. It's a nice safe in-between kind of number.

The canopy looks fine to me, there's always scope to vary things like that anyway and it could also look good with an open cockpit, "Astro Hog" style.

It looks a really nice design and if it flys well then it should be published. I am surprised you have not had editors fighting to get the plan......maybe it's their holiday week?

I fear you will have to change the name though! It will be misunderstood and the logo will be like putting a cartoon from the Texas comp on the fin! Personally I normally say ignore all the PC rubbish , but to get your name on a published plan it will be worthwhile. Just put some bright Solartrim over the graphics and take some more photos.

I am just wondering if an optional clipped wing version might also be worth trying - that span looks larger than average for the fuselage length..

Hi all, I'm pleased you like the design, it's been around for nearly 10 years now and I still fly it as my reliable hack. Regarding the name, I don't know any Hartlepuddlians that take offence at the Monkey Hangar moniker, most of us are proud of that dodgy legend.

As for being a free plan, I did send it to Graham a few years ago and he did seem keen. Unfortunately my photographs were not to RCM&E standard and we never got round to arranging a photo shoot with one of his favoured snappers. I did take it to Greenacres a couple of years ago but the Ashby's were understandably busy with all the lovely scale jobs so I didn't have the heart to point them at my, by now, tatty hack. Anyway, I suppose I could tart it up a bit for some more pics if there is any interest from t'management.

Cheers

Mike

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 08/08/2016 20:30:42:

You won't believe this but, after a few pics of the model appeared in Alex's column last year, I had an email from a reader (in the USA if I recall) saying I was promoting animal cruelty!

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 09/08/2016 08:04:54

They obviously can neither spell nor know anything about Hartlepool

Geoff

Congrats on a beautiful model and the upcoming free plan Mike. Do you think this would make an appropriate 1st low-winger? I'm pretty sure I'm going to be building one. I do like the open cockpit idea BTW.

Will there be info concerning an alternative electric version?

Posted by Fredrum on 09/08/2016 23:01:02:

Congrats on a beautiful model and the upcoming free plan Mike. Do you think this would make an appropriate 1st low-winger? I'm pretty sure I'm going to be building one. I do like the open cockpit idea BTW.

Will there be info concerning an alternative electric version?

Mmmm, an electrocuted Monkey Hanger - not sure what the colonials would make of that !
Probably see it as justice in action. wink 2

Thanks Fredrum

I've let numerous people fly mine, including some learners on a buddy lead and all found it easy to handle. Low speed handling is very good too so I reckon it would be OK for a first low winger.

I'm no expert on electric set ups but I think it would be really easy to make the front top deck into a hatch for battery access. I'll sketch something up when I get a minute. My plane has been flying for over 10 years now and is really looking tatty. During occasional alcohol fuelled moments of madness I've considered stripping the covering and converting it to electric, but so far my ic loving instincts have won over. You never know though....and a logo of an electrocuted monkey hanger sounds like fun and should really wind up our colonial animal cruelty friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted by Mike Bell on 10/08/2016 18:24:16:

I'm no expert on electric set ups but I think it would be really easy to make the front top deck into a hatch for battery access. I'll sketch something up when I get a minute.

This is certainly a great looking plane and one I would consider building, although I have my hands full cutting my balsa teeth on Batty at the moment! I think the issue of cow to convert it designs to electric and visa versa is a common head scratcher especially for those of us new to the build-it-yourself approach. Something that would be really helpful, and perhaps something that the magazine could consider, would be to include a section in the build article suggesting an alternative power set-up and how to adjust the plan/ build to accommodate this. Perhaps the expectation is that the forum is there to serve this purpose but I for one would certainly see a benefit in getting a head start direct from the magazine.