Returning member

MartinN

Evenin' all,

I'm a returning member from Buckinghamshire (Near Leighton Buzzard), UK. I was last here in 2009 I believe which was then my second attempt at breaking into the hobby. However, life took over (two kids and nearly a degree later - mature student), and I never quite got around to it, so at the tender age of 37 I think I'm about ready to give it another go.

I'm going to be starting from scratch on the model front and think I'll head down the IC route, however I guess that'll depend largely on the rules of local clubs (I think I have three (Aylesbury, Leighton Buzzard or Chesham).

I think that's all I have to share right now Looking forward to picking your brains relatively frequently.

Martin

Advert

Hi Martin, seriously consider electric. It is clean, instant starting and powerful. I have had a life-long love affair with Leroy Cox's little engines, but two years ago when I returned to the hobby, small brushless motors and lipos lured me away. I discovered they actually were what I was looking for, a small,powerful, easy-starting power plant.

Percy gave you the soundest of advice - dont invest in anything until you have visited and chosen a club - that way you can be sure there will be local help and advice on the kit you get also your kit will be compatible for buddy leads etc

IC or Electric there is little to choose between them in terms of power and performance but its down to personal preference

Morning all,

Many thanks for the replies - great advice. I'm off to the US for work in a week so hope to male contact with a few clubs on my return. I'm lucky that Buzzards and Chesham both have flying sites within 10 minutes drive of the house. There's also a soaring site even closer should I decide to skip power all together.

I need to educate myself on the electric front. I've been a fan of buggies on and off over the years and have always stayed away from brushless/Lipo. At that time they seemed to be quite volatile with lots of horror stories. Sounds like things may have moved on significantly.

Thanks once again

Martin

Instead of doing power or slope why not do both? You'll learn techniques from each which will be applicable and beneficial to both and you'll still be flying on windy and calm days!

As for LiPo batteries, it's not so much that the tech has moved on or the batteries have become safer, just more like people have a better understanding of them and a lot of the myths have been dispelled!

Hi Chris,

Ah, a good point to raise. I remember losing interest in LiPo when people were charging in fire-proof bags and storing in old ammunition boxes; started to get a bit too exciting for me! I assume many of the Trainers such as Thunder Tiger 40, WOT 4 and Irvine are available in electric flavours...I shall no doubt answer my own question with a Google search

Martin

Yep most trainers come in both flavours - either in the same box with alternate motor fittings or as different versions

There were lots of horror stories about LiPo's and if you abuse them and don't follow simple rules they can be a problem, but treated sensibly they are very unlikely to cause a problem

Get to a few model shows this year - you can see then the things on sale and what is happening. It's okay, asking on the forums, but nothing is better than seeing it in real life.

The best ones to go to are the Weston Park show in June and Nationals in August . Also the LMA Cosford has good trade presence, although the models flying are usually out of reach of most modelers - and if you've got a bottomless wallet.

Speak to the traders, see other people, speak to them and you'll gain more knowledge than usually just looking at a screen.