Bringing back the model

Keith Evans 3

Ok , you have been trying out some new patterns , you lose it , and you can't work out the planes orientation , it's nearly out of sight ,you can't tell if it's the right way up or not ,although the plane has a different colour scheme on the top to the bottom it's all just one shade of grey and the background noise makes it difficult to here the engine .

Apart from praying , what are your best tips for recovering the plane and getting it back home safely .

Advert

Like BEB said, a quick wiggle on the ailerons, then elevator - and hopefully you then realise which way it's going. But best of all, don't do anything that might cause you to lose orientation when you're along way out - and especially not if you're a long way downwind.

And finally, don't forget - you may have lost orientation, but the plane doesn't know that! So don't panic.

Fit a DJI NAZA auto-pilot with GPS and press, Return To Home! Wish I had one of those in my 'bang, bang' single channel days, would have saved chasing after the model across Epsom Downs on numerous occasions. Good exercise though!

I built a wayward O/D tailless glider a long while ago. The problem was not so much of a flyaway and losing sight of it but rather it had a nasty tuck-under habit which resulted in it spearing into the ground. I tried moving the C of G and messing with the reflex to no avail as it was the rubbish aerofoil I used. In the end I fitted a parachute to facilitate a gentle arrival if all else failed. The chute was released with the application of full up elevator, micro servos had not been invented and the fuz was tiny. It worked but the chute would deploy randomly on occasion. Might be a solution when you lose sight of your model - don't forget to write your name on it though!

Posted by Stevem3akm on 10/06/2015 20:03:22:

Putting your name

and address on it. Lol, Steve

I always write my name and a contact telephone number inside the fuse, somewhere obvious.

I've often wondered whether or not it would be prudent to enclose further information. For example, reassurance that I have third party insurance (in the event that it caused property damage), or an offer of a small reward for safe return...

I try not to fly to far away from myself in the first place. If it does get away from me I have a boring solution. I tend to fly a L/H circuit 90% of the time and so most times I just keep turning left but having said that, I have had the occasional 'Bugger, Which way is it going ' moment.

Not as bad as the inverted dumb thumbs (fingers in my case - I'm a pincher), Pull up, Pull up.....Oh no, too late.... Push up....crunch!

Rosco