Help choosing hotliner/warmliner

i think i will just save a few £'s and decide wether it's a bandit or cheetah as I can't decide. But definetly on a 4s setup to start.   Can the cheetah accommodate larger 4s packs or 5s\6s packs? I've been told the bandit can accommodate larger 4s packs  

i usually use hitec MG servos. anybody know which ones fit?

Edited By Glenn Shepherd on 23/06/2015 23:35:13

You wont get bigger packs in the cheetah, my 4s have to be the flat ones, and then it is still slightly nosey, but doesn't matter on a warmliner, as long as you aren't trying to catch some thermalling. If you want out and out speed, even though I have a cheetah, the bandit would be the way to go as there is much more on the net with regards setup and I think they are a little smaller, and probably quicker.

Posted by extra slim on 24/06/2015 09:13:50:

You wont get bigger packs in the cheetah, my 4s have to be the flat ones, and then it is still slightly nosey, but doesn't matter on a warmliner, as long as you aren't trying to catch some thermalling. If you want out and out speed, even though I have a cheetah, the bandit would be the way to go as there is much more on the net with regards setup and I think they are a little smaller, and probably quicker.

Thanks for that info, that will sway my vote then as I am after using bigger packs and getting speed. Cheers.

• 2 years later...

Very interesting, I just found this thread today, and I am just reaching exactly the same situation as Glenn was when he started this thread. Only, I'm not looking to break the sound barrier.

First question is how far have you progressed, Glenn since your last post?

I am looking for suggestions for possibly a warmliner, but leaning more toward slope and thermalling. Probably in the wingspan of around 2 meters, to keep it in view. Need to be able to swap out lipos without removing the wing during the day. One or two piece plug in wings, would be nice. They could be be removed for my return to home, but not essential. I can fit a fully assembled Phoenix 2000 into my car.

I have been flying an HK Phoenix 2000 for two or three years, and like the full house ailerons and flaps, but, again not essential. So you experienced guys, what suggestions for 2018< please?

You don’t give a budget, and some of your requirements are conflicting so it is difficult to make suggestions. Warmliner, thermalling, slope – all these in one will require compromise, so which is most important?

If warmliner for hacking around fast is most important then something like the Bandit or Hawk would be a good place to start looking, and both should work on the slope as well. On the other hand if thermalling is more important then something like the Sapphire might be better.

The Hawk doesn’t have a battery hatch, so it’s wing off for battery swap, but that is common as the models get faster because a battery hatch just adds a weak point and weight. All my faster models are like that and I wouldn’t even run the motor with the wing off because that makes the fuselage too weak to stand the stress (but I don’t think you are looking in that area yet!).

Dick

High Dick, thank you for responding. Yes I suspected an all in one model would not be possible. My priorities are probably as follows.

Budget aproximately £300-400 fully equipped, if that seems feasible.

1 Thermal with motor to get to altitude. Not interested in spot landing competitions. I prefer casual for fun , relaxed flying.

2 Slope with motor to save a long walk

Speed is not really a requirement.

That's a good point about speed and hatch being a weak point, thank you for pointing that out.

Go With the Flow

Bruce

Yes the Sapphire does seem close to your specification and not too far off your budget with the right choice of equipment.

re your comment of "slope with motor to save a long walk" - on some slopes using a motor is not allowed, and on some your are even required to remove the prop to ensure the motor can't be used, so do check your chosen site first.

Let us know which way you go and how you get on.

Dick

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there Dick, just an update for you. I haven't gone the warmliner route yet. I was tempted, and succumbed to a Lanyu HK ASW 28 glider (2.6 meters). definitely not a warm liner of course, but flies nicely on the slope.

I also created a hybrid e glider using a FMS Fox 850 fuselage combined with a Staufenbiel DLG 1000 wing. This flies quite nicely from the slope also. It has a large wing in relation to the fuse and is great in a breeze.

I haven't lost sight of the warmliner urge, it's just on hold for now.

Go With the Flow

Bruce

Good to hear how things are going, and the best thing is to just keep flying whatever you are enjoying.

The warmliner will keep until you feel ready to get something new. I frequently change directions and priorities..

Dick

• 1 year later...