Help choosing hotliner/warmliner

Hi everyone. Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I'm after some help choosing an airframe to run a hotliner type glider/sailplane. I'm new to this type of aircraft after only owning midwing electric to head towards 3D. But I want to add this to my fleet.

I'm looking for an airframe under £200 not foam, prob at least a 1m wingspan but not more than 2m really.

Hoping to have enough space to use 4s 2200's. Ideally to achieve at least 150mph if possible.

I've seen the hobbyking reverb after noticing an Ebay add, I've seen a typhoon but looks tight for a 3s never mind 4s. That's about it that I see without help/advice.

Thanks in advance, Glenn

I'll second Tim's recommendation for the Bandit (I used one as a slope Soarer many years ago), but if you want something a bit better looking, more efficient, but slightly more expensive, then the Freudenthaler Ion Neo would be my second choice (as I have one): LINK This is larger than the Bandit at 2m span, and has a 4 servo wing for crow braking which will assist considerably in slowing it down for landing.

The Siren has a one piece wing and isn't to the quality of the European models. Also, it has carbon in the fuselage which will necessitate careful routing of the Rx Aerial(s). The SPIRIT V evo and Cheetah from Staufenbiel are good budget Hotliners and could be better options. Don't forget that postage to the UK is free if paying over €90 and the DPD courier service is excellent.

A friend has the Siren. It flies very well but he had to make openings in the fuselage to route the motor wires as space is very cramped. As Bill_B says the carbon fus can also be a problem. I've just bought the Staufenbiel Cheetah and I'm satisfied with the price/quality ratio.

Steve.

Hi Glenn, There is an excellent online shop called Topmodel in France. They sell a laser kit for a sprightly powered glider called beginacro It is a real kit, with excellent laser cutting. And, of course your pound is very strong against the Euro, so you get an exceptionally good deal. It costs €69.90? which my convertor tells me is a tad under £50

They also recommend and sell all the bits you need to complete things. Heres SWIMBO with mine

Posted by Glenn Shepherd on 22/06/2015 21:19:21:

I'm looking for an airframe under £200 not foam, prob at least a 1m wingspan but not more than 2m really.

Hoping to have enough space to use 4s 2200's. Ideally to achieve at least 150mph if possible.

If you really are looking for speeds approaching 150 mph in something getting on towards 2m span you are going to have to look at composite structures - preferably with at least some carbon in the wing spars. Traditional open frame film covered structures just won't be strong enough.

This is what 150 mph looks like, but this particular plane costs several times more than your budget.

http://www.f5b.co.uk/videos/marlk-haigh-46-legs-at-the-season-opener/

Don't be put off though - go for it. The adrenalin rush is worth every penny smiley.

Dick

Edited By Dickw on 23/06/2015 11:02:22

Edited By Dickw on 23/06/2015 11:03:01

Edited By Dickw on 23/06/2015 11:03:41

Posted by Bill_B on 23/06/2015 05:20:50:

The Siren has a one piece wing and isn't to the quality of the European models. Also, it has carbon in the fuselage which will necessitate careful routing of the Rx Aerial(s). The SPIRIT V evo and Cheetah from Staufenbiel are good budget Hotliners and could be better options. Don't forget that postage to the UK is free if paying over €90 and the DPD courier service is excellent.

That cheetah is very nice and cheaper than the hawk. Decent size, what setup are using? Will 4cells 2200+ fit? What servos are you using? Cheers

I use a 4s Rhino 2350 (flat lipo) in my cheetah. Motor is a mega 22/30/3E I think...It isn't a hotlliner, warm yes definitely, will climb pretty much unlimited at about 70 degrees,, hot no, but you could play with motor. I ended up epoxying my wings together for one piece, as I experienced some slight flutter in a dive, since then its nice...image.jpg

A Vee tail has less drag, but will require some transmitter mixing if you want to use ruddervators, and will usually necessitate two pushrods routing down the fuselage. A Tee tail is good for landing in tall grass as its out of the way. Also, a Tee tail is handy for hiding the elevator servo in the fin thus providing a short, slop free linkage to the elevator. Some Tee tail Hotliners don't even use a rudder, as with my Ion Neo.

I suppose a lot depends on what you like the look of too.

Posted by Glenn Shepherd on 22/06/2015 22:59:28:

I take these bandits aren't available/stocked in the UK?

Glenn,

The UK FVK man is Brian Anderson 0191 3887649.

I also have a Siren, and it's not in the same league.  Yes. it's a nice smooth,fastish glider, but the built-up wings and tail, allied to the skinny fuselage (you take the wings off to access the cells)mean that mine doesn't get flown that often.

tim

Edited By Tim Hooper on 23/06/2015 21:49:30

Posted by Bill_B on 23/06/2015 20:26:15:

A Vee tail has less drag, but will require some transmitter mixing if you want to use ruddervators, and will usually necessitate two pushrods routing down the fuselage. A Tee tail is good for landing in tall grass as its out of the way. Also, a Tee tail is handy for hiding the elevator servo in the fin thus providing a short, slop free linkage to the elevator. Some Tee tail Hotliners don't even use a rudder, as with my Ion Neo.

I suppose a lot depends on what you like the look of too.

yeah i suppose Tee tail will be easier, was just wondering if there was benefits.

Posted by Tim Hooper on 23/06/2015 21:45:55:
Posted by Glenn Shepherd on 22/06/2015 22:59:28:

I take these bandits aren't available/stocked in the UK?

Glenn,

The UK FVK man is Brian Anderson 0191 3887649.

I also have a Siren, and it's not in the same league. Yes. it's a nice smooth,fastish glider, but the built-up wings and tail, allied to the skinny fuselage (you take the wings off to access the cells)mean that mine doesn't get flown that often.

tim

i emailed him the other day, he said i wold need to order from the .de site directly

Edited By Tim Hooper on 23/06/2015 21:49:30