Power supply unit...out of old p/c

Advert

It is possible to use this, but it cold have has more Ampere. Chargin 4s 3300mAh batteries at 1c will require 49watts. Charging 4 of those, almost 200W. Your PSU can deliver max 14 Amps (168W at 12 v). If this is constant max current you may be Abel to charge 3 of your batteries at 1c simultaneosly.

I think that PSU will struggle to charge 4 x 4S, 3300 batteries at the same time. It's slightly worse than Hugo suggests, as at the end of the constant current phase of the charge, the charger has to supply 3.3A at 16.8v which is a little over 55W. Of course no charger is anything like 100% efficient, so the input poser to the charger will need to be more. How much more? I don't know! I'd be surprised if it was as little as 60W input per battery - which means 5A, or if all 4 reach that stage at the same time 20A. The PC PSU pictured is only rated at 14A at 12v.

I use an old Microsoft Xbox PSU (a tenner off ebay), but it too would struggle with your requirement. It is rated at 16.5A at12v - a touch under 200W. It copes fine with the biggest batteries I charge - 2 x 3S 2700 mAh plus 2x 3S 3000mAh together.

That one's good for 36A on the 12v rail, according to the spec, so much more like what you'll want.

I assume you've already checked the numerous articles online specifying what you need to do to make a PC PSU function as a charger supply?

Essentially (apart from modifying the connectors) you'll need to bridge two of the terminals (could do it with a switch if you wanted) that signals the PSU to actually turn on the outputs.

Secondly - and this might not be needed on recent PSUs - you may need to put a load on the 5v line. Without this the 12v supply may not run at the correct voltage - as I said though, this might not be a problem these days. On the one I previously used, I put a 12v car bulb across the 5v line. It glows orange and as well as providing a load, reminds me that it's switched on - as if the fan whirring away isn't already enough of a clue!

The on/off switch at the back just "powers up" the power supply. Even when switched on at the back, it doesn't actually do anything useful until the two connections mentioned earlier are bridged.

This is mimicking how it functions on a PC. Many PCs have that little switch on the back of the PSU, and I'd say that 99.99% of them are never turned off at that switch. So the PSU is 'live' at all times the PC is plugged in to the mains. But only when you press the "power" button" (which bridges those two connections mentioned earlier) does the PSU, and consequently the PC, burst into life.