What's Your Oldest Engine And Do You Use It?

Former Member

Advert

I've been collecting engines for a little over 50 years (about 53 to be precise). One of my main activities is playing with old engines on the bench. I've run a 1940 Dyno diesel this year (video on youtube), I ran a 1937 Ohlsson a couple of weeks ago, with a 1940 Super Cyclone and several other old spark ignition engines, and I flew a 1951 Elfin 2.49 last week (in a Simplex).

Some old engines are not really robust enough to risk, but many of them are great practical runners, perfect for RC vintage flying, mostly without a throttle of course, but I even have a couple onto which I've been able to graft an RC throttle, without modifying the original engine (a McCoy 60 and a 1949 Ohlsson 60).

Got a few Cox .049s dating from the early 60s, still in running order. Also an AM .049 (Wen-mac copy?) that came out of a Jetex Mobo hovercraft (remember them?)! But the one currently in active use is a pre-blackhead Webra .61 - bought in 1967 to replace a knackered Merco .49, and still hauling a vintage aerobatic job around the skies today......

--
Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 02/09/2015 09:42:34

Sold my old classics as I had no inclination to use them but. ........

I have a Super Tigre G60 Blue Head fitted with ED Amc carb that I used to compete at f3a in the early 70s and an Early Redshift 60 ( the first & last most powerfull 2 Stroke 60 ever to be produced in the UK) it gave OS Webra Rossi Ops a run for there money and was used at World class level

I imagine I have a lot in common with modellers of a certain age, having a collection of old engines. Particularly if they have adopted electric power, initially as a consequence of noise concerns and constraints, only to become converts to electric flight with the advent of Lipos and Brushless motors.

As can be seen a motley collection.

Which is the oldest is anyones bet, although I would almost wagger the red headed ED Racer or the Cox. Then again the AM 25 perhaps could be in the frame.

Again as with many old modellers there are 3 Mercos. Plus an OS and a Enya somewhere.

Do I use them of course not, far to noisy and messy.

Edited By Erfolg on 02/09/2015 16:35:55