Runaway Laser 70

Spice Cat

Evening everyone,

Today at the strip I had a problem starting my Chipmunk with its Laser 70 engine. I then decided to give the fuel system a bit of help by gently blowing into one of the two vents with a spare piece of fuel tube.

Well the engine started fine then went to full throttle ignoring whatever setting the throttle was set to.

At first I thought it was a problem with the servo and with a full tank I faced the prospect of an overheating engine.

Pinching off the two breather tubes I managed to get the engine to shut down and after an inspection found that the throttle servo was fine and the throttle arm moving on the carb. The barrel was also ok moving to close as required.

Back home I started her again without the 'wind' assistance this time and she ran fine up and down the rev range.

Obviously by blowing in the breather I had caused this to happen but why no response from the throttle and why did it run so long, over two minutes??

Any ideas???

Advert

Sounds like either a momentary obstruction of the throttle or the carb barrel has come adrift.

I would suggest checking the carb carefully to make sure the barrel screw has not fallen out or come loose. If the engine has an Irvine carb and has had exceptional amounts of use the barrel screw could have worn through but this is unlikely.