Dusty Cropsprayer

My three year old grandson is coming to stay at Christmas. He is mad about planes, and cars, and I thought it might be an interesting project to build a Dusty for him to be able to see flying, weather permitting. Looking at about a 60-70" wingspan that I can put an electric motor and a 4S to give an all up weight of around 2kg ish. .... Couple of servos to get the eyes working, and a few authentic sound effects on the old Taranis should complete the job.

I can't be the first to want to do this. Anyone else built one? Anyone know where I can get a plan, or adapt one to suit. The Traplet 72" Piper Pawnee looks quite close with maybe a bit of modding round the edges.

Advert

Thanks everybody for the help. No wonder I could not find the forum reference. Had looked on Traplet, but only in the plans section. The Farmhand is only available as a kit but no plan available. Its a little bit boxy for the real Dusty methinks, and both grandson and grandfather are very discerning about such matters unfortunately.frown

Now I wonder where the Agrocat plan came from? I missed that one too, the photo is a bit old. However, it does come from an impeccable stable. Here's a great winter project for you Peter. Update it, Dustify it and electrify it. I'm sure I'm not the only one with a grandson fascinated by such things. Think I might get both the Agrocat and the Piper Pawnee plans and work from there. Its hard to tell from one tiny photo. Maybe a build blog coming on..

Slightly changing the subject, we hired a motorhome in the US this summer and as well as a tour of the Boeing factory, while we were in the middle of nowhere, there was a real life crop duster doing its job. It certainly is a hazardous occupation!

Once again thanks everyone for your help, and if there's any more suggestions, keep them coming.

Posted by Andy48 on 24/09/2015 19:21:35:

My three year old grandson is coming to stay at Christmas. He is mad about planes, and cars, and I thought it might be an interesting project to build a Dusty for him to be able to see flying, weather permitting. Looking at about a 60-70" wingspan that I can put an electric motor and a 4S to give an all up weight of around 2kg ish. .... edges.

Probably not your preferred option, but Dynam make pretty much that very plane...

Edited By MattyB on 26/09/2015 00:23:22

• 3 months later...

Well it was not quite ready for Christmas, but given the weather we had it didn't matter. This is what I was aiming for:

dusty.jpeg

And this is what it turned out like:

dusty 1.jpg

The landing lights work, and it has a full set of navigation lights for the fun of it, controlled by switches on the tranny. The eyes work too, moving up and down controlled by a slider on the transmitter. It has flaps too controlled by another slider.

dusty 2.jpg

Built from Peter Miller's AgroCat plan and converted to electric with 4S. All up weight 2kg, about half a kg lighter than Peter's model, so with the large wing area it should be quite a floater. Had to lengthen the nose to achieve the correct balance.

Will need to wait until the field dries out somewhat to maiden ..... that may take quite some time.

Edited By Andy48 on 12/01/2016 16:59:44