Building jig - uprights replacements

Advert

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 30/09/2015 08:58:07:

OK Dylan, are you offering kits of replacement jig brackets to replace the rather flexible ones supplied with the Slec kitteeth 2? I'll take a dozen please thumbs up

And 12 SLEC replacements for me please.. Need to be thick enough to take an M5 bolt IIRC

Martyn

If someone could give me the dimensions of the slec brackets I could have a go at drawing replacements and see if my local CNC shop is interested in producing them. We are in The Netherlands though, so a cost effective way of distributing them in the UK should be found.

Max.

I have something like this in mind:

bracket1.jpg

Size: HxLxW: 160 x 140 x 18 mm

Material: 6 mm Birch ply parts, held together with beech dowels

I added a protection pad made from 3 mm lite ply, which can swivel about 4 degrees each way, allowing for misalignment of the bracket and avoiding marring your precious fuselage sides.

All this is just idea's, I have no experience with this kind of jig.

Another idea is supplying it as a kit of parts to minimize labour cost.

Max.

p1020776.jpg

6mm birch ply is the basis for these SLEC replacements ( they were very old and warped ) I've not had any problems with marking of the balsa since the uprights are always aligned perpendicular to the longerons.

The SLEC bolts fit perfectly. I find this sort of jig upright useful for wing / tail alignment too , because you can clamp stuff onto the 'blades'. Worth a weekend's work to build them...

Could laser cut the bits I suppose; I used a circular saw and guides.

Norm

I am throwing in another picture. I take it that most of you guys have figured out how the uprights are put together, but just in case:

bracket2.jpg

I have put out a request to my friend who runs a cnc shop, he is working on pricing. Is there still interest?

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 02/10/2015 19:39:20

Just for information, the jig in question was made by South Yorks Model Supplies. I still have the one that I got from them around 25 years ago and still use it regularly. It's very robust and absolutely true, although it was quite expensive at the time. They went out of business during the '90s if I remember correctly.

Posted by Cuban8 on 05/10/2015 09:40:59:

Just for information, the jig in question was made by South Yorks Model Supplies.

I am confused. I thought we were talking about replacement uprights for the slec building jig, which is what I based my design on.....question

Max.

Edit: I am wrong, the topic starter has a different jig, but it seems to me that the discussion turned towards the slec one. Well, I guess they could serve both, as long as the bolts are not larger than 6 mm dia.

Edited By Max Z on 05/10/2015 12:05:17