prop equivalent

ericrw

2 bladed props are more efficient (in fact 1 bladed props are the most efficient and IIRC are used on control line speed models for that reason). I had problems with the 4 bladed prop on my HK Mk24 Spitfire because it tended to nose over on landing and tended to break the prop even at low speed. I fitted a higher kv motor and sawed off a couple of blades to solve it

Actually I also packed retract mechanism so the undercarriage legs were a bit further forward which stopped most of the nose over difficulties. But 2 bladed props can move out of the way whereas there's always a blade near the ground if there are more of them.

Geoff

Posted by ericrw on 24/10/2015 12:19:08:

The four bladed, 16x6 prop, is the stock prop, as provided in the kit. If I reduce the diameter, as suggested by Josip, for a two bladed prop, what effect would it have when flying the model ??

I think you are misreading Josip's post eric - to go from 4-blade to 2 blade you would need to increase the prop diameter not decrease! Josip is talking about going the otherway - ie from a two blade to a 4 blade. So as Pat suggests a 19" of the same diameter would be about equivalent. But I'd check very carefully that you have enough ground clearance for a 19" prop before buying.

BEB

If you can fit the equivalent then it won't make a lot of difference. The model might seem a little more powerful because the two-blader is more efficient than the four-blade prop, so slightly higher top speed maybe, a bit more lively in the climb possibly and the verticals might be a bit stronger. But it will be marginal, to be honest I'd be surprised if you noticed much difference.

BEB

• 4 months later...

Owdlad

In principle a prop with a pitch greater than its diameter is moving into the realms of the prop stalling when static which can make the take off run rather long before it gets up to flying speed.

A few more details would help.

What is the motor? IC or electric?

What is the plane?

Why is your ground clearance much less than the recommended prop?

Sorry in my haste I'd forgotten to add some details.

The engine is a webra 80 Long Stroke pumped & piped

The model is a Pb Tornado fitted with retracts. I have shortened the main legs as much as i can but without major surgery I cannot lengthen the nose leg.

The joys if inexperience springs to mind surprise

My Tornado ran a 12*10 on an OS61SF and pipe, that cuts the grass on anything but a freshly mown strip. It's also not short of power once it gets rolling, but it is slow to accelerate a) because the pipe is hindering it at ground rpm, b) that high pitch prop probably is stalled below flying speed in any case.