charging help needed

hi

im fairly new to proper leccy flying and have a query about charging the lipos. I have several batteries now and I use an esky balance charger which came with a honeybee heli I bought however I am looking at the likes of imax B6 and noticed that the pics show the balance charge and the discharge lead being plugged in. Can someone tell me what the difference between the two are

sorry im a bit in the dark about lipos at the moment

By using separate charge leads the B6 can supply the much higher charge currents appropriate to larger packs. Balancing on the other hand is typically carried out at low current values around 100-200mA so balance leads are much thinner wire.

Separate balance leads make it easier for the charger to handle different cell counts typically between 2 and 6 cells whereas those chargers with common leads will be limited in the range of cell counts they can handle.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 07/11/2015 09:27:08

Each cell of a Lipo battery needs to have its voltage monitored whilst charging. They have a maximum voltage of 4.2V and should never be discharged below 3V - exceeding either end of the range will damage the cell. When you are charging, the current is supplied to the pack through the discharge lead. The balance lead connected to the charger will monitor the voltage to each cell and ensure no cell is overcharged, so it's essential that on 2S or more packs, the balance lead is attached.

The Imax B6 is quite a popular charger and should be fine. You will see that you can observe the voltage of each cell changing during charge.

Plenty of info on leccy stuff in the 'Electric Flight' section of the forum. Any questions, ask away - plenty of knowledgeable folk (most more so than me!) here...smile

Pete

If you're buying a B6 I'd suggest one from a reputable retailer rather than a £12 ebay cheapie.
The B6 charger is so successful that it has been (badly) cloned but the copies aren't set up accurately and often use poor tolerance components - their voltage displays can be out alarmingly. But they look 100% convincing!

A good charger is an investment that will give years of reliable service - remember, buy cheap - buy twice!

Cheers
Phil

Hi

I have 3 iMax B6 chargers, 2 genuine SKYRC and 1 clone, all bought from Hobby King

Although the clone works well, the genuine ones are more accurate and consistent, although the clone is quite close and probably close enough not to do long term damage.

One other thing I have noticed with my three is that by holding the second and forth buttons at power on the SKYRC versions will go into a calibration mode so that they can be adjusted against a certified accurate meter reading, the Clone does not do this, well not the one I have as I have seen some on YouTube that do.

Paul

Posted by Toni Reynaud on 08/11/2015 09:49:00:

You still have to have both leads connected to the battery.

Thats not strictly true Toni there is an option to charge without balancing just using the power lead.

I don't think there is a function which does balance only with just the balance lead connected.

the balance leads can only discharge, any charge current comes down the power connector.

Balancing takes place during the charge process.

...and during the charger's discharge process

Posted by Phil Green on 08/11/2015 16:43:05:

the balance leads can only discharge, any charge current comes down the power connector.

Not strictly true Phil, cells can be charged via the balance leads alone (albeit at a trickle amperage rate) but it can be done, the el-cheapo E-Flite charger only has balance lead ports

Sorry Dave I was specifically talking about the B6 balance port, I thought that was the topic.
Of course you can charge any lipo via the balance leads alone, the outers connect directly to the power leads at the cell terminals. I think this is getting unnecessarily pedantic!

Edited By Phil Green on 08/11/2015 21:28:10