How is your flying club run?

Advert

Posted by Tony F on 17/01/2016 15:26:43:
Hi Percy. The club is run by an old boys clique and nobody and I do mean nobody has a say in ANY matters. I've taken to staying at home. I have 9 models and 2 builds to start but haven't flown for over a year now. I wish I knew of a site near me for lone fliers but not easy in London my confidence is totally shot after the experiences of this "club"

Tony

Edited By Tony F on 17/01/2016 15:27:23

Does it have a formal constitution, AGM's and voting structure? If so, why not stand for the committee - if there are enough members who feel the same - whether they openly voice their opinions or not - then there's no reason why several couldn't be elected and make a big difference to the running of the club. No one person - or clique - own a members' club...if some of the old guard throw their toys out of the pram, so be it! Their primary responsibility is to the members, not themselves.

All the middle to higher members have been there a while , the club got 10 to 15 new starters a year with 10 to 15 leaving in a year. People like me would turn up with A cert in hand and have to start from the bottom with being observed to the point of George Orwells 1984. New people came then flew or tried to then left. I'm out of there and have absolutely no intention of ever returning. Not really interested in joining any club and continue my quest for a lone flying spot it's out there I know it !!!.
Tony

Tony, I know exactly what you mean about the type of individuals you refer to. Meeting after meeting of rules and regulations and being lectured to by people. A few years ago our former chairman was in that category. Members would arrive at the field and upon seeing the chairman's car in the car park would immediately turn round and go home for fear of being watched or lectured to. Several members left and didn't return which is a shame.

In the end (about 4 months) a number of the members, both committee and none committee made a stand and he jumped before he was pushed.

A couple of years on all is well with the club.

Stick with it and all will be well in the end, after all its a hobby but some see it as a job or an ego trip like some RSM in the parade yard.

ChrisB, What you describe is exactly the situation a friend was describing very recently about a club he was in (not model flying). The chairman would not entertain any changes to the activities in which the club participated or the way things were done, and the club was dying. A number of the members speculated that the elderly chairman had some sort of mental illness or dementia which was causing him to behave that way. Eventually, like your club, a 'coup d'etat' took place, the old chairman was ousted, and the club is thriving again.

Whilst continuity is very useful in committee jobs such as treasurer and secretary, as it takes a while to learn the ropes, the Chairman's job is one which IMHO should have a maximum of 2 to 3 years tenure. Sometimes people want to see a change of chairman just to get some fresh ideas in, but don't wish to offend the current one by standing or voting against them. An election forced by the club's constitution gets around this with no loss of face or embarrassment.

Its also good to have a new member's representative on the committee, so they have a voice and new members can talk to someone with recent experience of the 'teething pains' that they are having. IMHO this representative should have been in the club for no more than three years.

Sometimes ideas should be tried for trial period, e.g. having a club trainer, even if a lot of people don't agree or don't see the point, just so the pros and cons can be experienced for real.

The committee is no more than the representatives of the membership. They are certainly not management. The role is one of at worst administration. at best facilitation.

My point was, I am surprised that any body is really that desperate to be on a club committee. It is a position of service and support of the hobby for your group. Perhaps those who are determined to sit on the committee are either dedicated to furthering modelling, rather than just flying or have a power complex, If it is a power complex, I am afraid that you are more likely to loose members than maintain or gain them. As has been suggested, go for a position yourself and encourage others to have a go.

There is a down side, it does involve work, that is both unpaid and probably not recognised what you are trying to get done.

Some interesting comments here...I must declare that I am a Chairman of four years standing. I put myself up for election as my predecessor (v nice chap) was openly only a figurehead fulfilling the role at AGMs and frankly the club was dying. We have had a complete change of committee since then and a significant increase in membership but not without problems along the way which thankfully have all been resolved satisfactorily.. The committee members now are all enthusiastic nice guys and I count myself lucky for that. We try to keep the official stuff to a minimum when we can....and just get on flying..

It is true that most club members just want to fly and who can blame them....especially with the British weather interrupting? We find that most of the time we have to make the agenda for the club membership to vote on and this seems the easiest way to run things. Occasionally we get input from a member on something different and we usually put that to an AGM or EGM but this is quite rare. If we want our hobby to survive we need the enthusiasm and hard work of committees and members alike...long may it continue!

Jon

Ive done my stint on several committees and won't do that again! I was amazed at how some flyers thought committee members were legitimate targets for abuse, rants etc.

One thing I have noticed with nice clubs is that the committee normally consists of professional people who have really good life experience of dealing with people/clients and are comfortable at solving problems. Sadly some people take on these important roles having never previously had to deal with such issues and therefore find it very hard to be objective and polite!

The club i joined is now very open with input, feedback, and general ideas given a good un-biased chance to succeed or fade. This was not the way in the past, A closed committee with a "My way or the highway" attitude. not anymore, every member has a say, every member has input on how best keep our field as friendly and inclusive as possible and we give it a try. We have ugly people, chubby people, skinny people, wrinkly people, people like me, people not like me, beardies, baldies and more, we have regular club bbq's toward the end of many flying days, and I reckon that alone has made a difference to club atmosphere.

.yes for all members being treated as equals.

cheers, bbc.