How do you store your wings?

Simon Cunliffe

Advert

I use spur racking sourced from eBay.

Wings and fusalages rest across the shelf supports quite nicely. I did plan to put foam pipe insulation along the edges of the spurs but I haven't actually got around to it - as long as you are careful you shouldn't have any problems.

Edited By Andy.I on 17/11/2015 12:18:45

Same as Andy....you can screw a pair of upright to the wall & fit the brackets at the correct spacing to allow wings of different thickness to fit neatly. Works really well for smaller models too...they just slip between the uprights supported by the wings on a pair of shelf brackets.

Another very similar option is to fit lengths of wood vertically to the wall with holes drilled at intervals into which lengths of 12-15mm dowel are fitted.....effectively the same thing as spur racking but home made....wink 2

The fact is that RC models are really difficult things to store...they are fragile & have lots of sticky out bits.....

Don't forget to allow room for expansion too will you.....your fleet will undoubtedly grow....thumbs up

I used to have a wing rack to store wings above head level. With more room now and a more organised set up, they mostly stand vertical, leaning against the wall, with the smaller wings under the bench. That makes them a whole lot easier to grab on the way to the field and I've only forgotten one wing, one time since adopting that set-up.

Mine is similar to Steve; two lengths of timber with cut off broom handle legths fitted at intervals. Cheap, easy to extend and can be made to fit any wing length or thickness.

Drilled with a very slight downwards angle, the inserted broom handles angle upwards ensuring the wings to not slip off over time.

Very cheap, easy and secure.

Put some kitchen wall units on the end wall and store wings on the top. Cardboard sleeves ( made from the moving boxes! ) to protect the wings. Also put a rack on the ceiling, just behind the up and over door if fitted, to take long term storage of models.

A long time ago I made this rough sketch to show how with modern low fronted cars you could partition an area off as a workshop and still fit the car in. Note the brick wheel chock & old tyre as a buffer, the suspended tennis ball touching the windscreen as a length marker, not shown is the sheet of polythene to stop any paint or glue penetrating thro the bench and spoiling the car. Not tried this myself but it might give you some ideas.

bench over car

Edited By kc on 17/11/2015 12:51:57

Steve, Once upon a time cars were a mans pride and joy and they were kept in the garage. Every Sunday morning every man washed his own car by hand whilst waiting for his roast lunch to be cooked. The car was used for weekend trips and holidays so gave great pleasure. Then the first idiot taught his wife to drive and the rest soon followed. Worse followed in that the first woman realised she could also use it for shopping. The car then became covered in dents from parking and was no longer mans pride and joy. The roads became clogged with too many drivers with too few skills. Garages became redundant because they needed skill to drive into the narrow space. Cars were then parked outside which also had the advantage of showing off the latest number plates to the neighbours. Suddenly there was an empty space and it was an ideal place to store all those models.

And they all lived happily ever after..........

Well they did until Mrs kc said kc couldn't buy a new car until he emptied the garage to make space for the new car!

Edited By kc on 17/11/2015 16:57:29

Steve, yes indeed it is an Irvine Wildcard. I picked it up for nothing from a club member and it is in pretty good nick apart from a missing cowl and bit of a repair to one elevator hinge.

I am not surprised there are not many left. it is very lightly built and would not withstand much of an impact I suspect! I have never seen a wing with less ribs! but it is a nice flier but a bit beyond my skill set I think and i cant really do it justice.

Thank for the replies, I'll probably go with the spur racking but there are some great ideas. I've just done my cut list for an 8' bench. I'll probably make it 24" deep (up against the wall right under the window) do you think that's deep enough? I can't ever see a car going in there!

KC there are some great design ideas on your plan. I love the tennis ball... so simple.

Simon

Onetenor.

The 'over the car' bench is intended to extend right across from garage wall to garage wall which should give enough support for light work if the rear cross piece is stout enough. LIght work on that bench ,heavy work on the other bench as shown. That setup implies a side or end door for persons to enter. If such a door is not available then there should be an end panel down to floor just beyond the car width to stiffen the construction. If a door is then required to keep the workshop warm it should be inset into the workshop to avoid hitting the car. On the drivers side to allow access to either workshop or car. Hinged on the garage wall to open back into the workshop.

Simon.  The tennis ball was my father's idea back in the 1960's.  It was the development of the previous method of a lead fishing weight which hung down to almost touch the car's Austin  'A'  mounted on the bonnet front ( Austin A40 Somerset)  Later cars did not have such mascots so needed the tennis ball idea at the only vertical surface visible ( windscreen)

Kingcade.

You will notice the brick cemented to the floor to stop the front wheel which should stop the car at the right place, if that fails and the wheel rides up over then the old tyre 'buffer' by the bench should absorb most of the impact.  If you feel that would not be suffucient then a deterrent such as placing your wife's favourite vase on the floor instead of the tyre should work.

Edited By kc on 18/11/2015 12:21:49

Edited By kc on 18/11/2015 12:32:56