How often does your flying club mow the strip?

Beth Ashby Moderator

Advert

Now then Stu!

this is flipping superb.. Class of her own! Great for when its too windy to fly.. get the field ready for a good session and keeps you out of harms (read the wife etc) way yes

Well done for keeping such a great bit of kit going.. I bet your patch is better than Wembley.. smiley

GRASSHEAD it is beer

Edited By Area 51 on 24/11/2015 10:25:12

Posted by ChrisB on 30/11/2015 19:16:12:

Stu, do you hire out such superb machinery? Very nice looking piece of kit, how much work did you do to restore it?

Makes our 3ft water filled tow behind roller look a bit pathetic.

CB

ChrisB, we hire in a 15ton vibrating road roller! If you have a commercial vehicle hire depot nearby; go and speak to them.. They are usually without work over weekends for these machine and can be had for a good price, delivered/collected!

The last time I had one it was for £75 for the day, delivered Satuday at 0730, as we could store it on the farm overnight safely they let us keep it until it was next required. They collected it from the farm at 0730 on the Monday, so we got a full extra day for nothing!..

The patch was as good as you see on the golf fairways! A delight for even 2" wheels.. I'd recommend it if you club is keen to have the best patch it can!

Without wishing to come over as a complete Geek, I am a bit of a tinkerer. When I moved to a house with a large grass paddock - not being a horsey person, the paddock became garden space and mass grass cutting machinery became a necessity. Also having lived in Yorkshire many years I could not bring myself to part with a large sum and old lawnmowers are cheap.

I now have this lot save the one right at the back that was exported to France via ebay. All were picked up in disrepair or with something clapped out. The nearest is the latest, a Hayter hydraulic which had a worn out pump. That one has cost me quite dear but not the £5 to 10K that it could have. The hand mowers came for no more that £50 each and there is a 36" and a 30" among them. The Motor Triples a few hundred each, None looked like this when they arrived.

The roller was being sold for scrap. because it dates from 1937 it seemed a shame to scrap it although it turned out to be the worst condition machine by far and has taken a bit of bringing back.

All this stuff comes from a time when it was built to last and built to be looked after but people with simple tools and a bit of gumption. They are driven by belts and chain, all much easier to maintain than hydraulic pumps and now that I've tried both I can tell you that the Motor Triple from the 70's cuts every bit as good as the hydraulic Hayter.

I cut my own grass and that at my local club, which was a big relief from the hand mowers used in the past. It has allowed us to expand the runways considerably and make the best use of the field. The roller will be first used next spring but at 2 tons and 6ft wide it not going to be transported very far. As has been said, the vibro rollers more often seen on building sites are more transportable.

I do intend to get rid of a few now that my needs are settled, I must get stuck into my 'bucket list' of models that have to be built