How often does your flying club mow the strip?

Beth Ashby Moderator

Advert

We are lucky enough to have a lawn tractor. The weather has been a bit wet recently so even with this its getting a bit soft and muddy in parts, but was good enough for the Chipmunk to make a nice landing today although I didn't want to chance my luck with another flight on it after seeing quite a few planes nose over today. Our strip should be dry enough to cut over the next week i hope.

Currently not at all as our mower is not fitted with a snorkel.

However during the "growing season" we mow as frequently as necessary.

Also being in North Yorkshire our mower is supplemented by the indigenous population of our flying field. However the by-product creates its own problems on the strip. face 7

During the active growing season, twice a week as required. We're lucky to have a member who enjoys mowing and does the brunt of the work and I fill in when needed (a couple of others do an odd cut as well). We have a Massey-Fergusson 135 with a Trimax Procut triple rotary cutter to cut our 5 1/4 acre field. It takes about 3/4 of an hour for a 3 runway trim and a couple of hours to do a full cut with the pits etc.

Like Timothy of the same name but not related (AFAIK) I'd like to get another cut in but the ground is so soft at the moment (very reminiscent of when the picture below was taken) that it would churn the surface terribly.

001.jpg

I don't use this one for grass cutting !

dscf4376.jpg

Edited By Martin Harris on 22/11/2015 22:30:15

We are lucky enough to have several mowers- both mechanical and human. we do it every friday from early season until it is too wet or the grass stops growing. Been too wet for the last three weeks but if my lawn is anything to go by we will have to get out at least one more time.

John

Posted by Martin Harris on 22/11/2015 22:20:17:

During the active growing season, twice a week as required. We're lucky to have a member who enjoys mowing and does the brunt of the work and I fill in when needed (a couple of others do an odd cut as well). We have a Massey-Fergusson 135 with a Trimax Procut triple rotary cutter to cut our 5 1/4 acre field. It takes about 3/4 of an hour for a 3 runway trim and a couple of hours to do a full cut with the pits etc.

Like Timothy of the same name but not related (AFAIK) I'd like to get another cut in but the ground is so soft at the moment (very reminiscent of when the picture below was taken) that it would churn the surface terribly.

001.jpg

I don't use this one for grass cutting !

dscf4376.jpg

Edited By Martin Harris on 22/11/2015 22:30:15

twice a week surprise

I don't know what you're all feeding your grass, but the past two summers I've done less than half a dozen cuts all summer - none in the winter obviously!

Posted by Martin Harris on 23/11/2015 13:38:17:

We have a lot of members who fly small models and appreciate short grass. Apart from some selective weedkiller applied last autumn, we feed ours on a diet of sunshine (occasionally!) and rain. What part of the country are you in, Rich?

Hi Martin,

I'm in Kent. I fly from a farmers field (sometimes used for grazing). It's on the rough side and the grass doesn't seem to grow very fast at all - I'm thankful because I'm the only one that cuts it! wink

I do the mowing at our club (quite enjoy it). We have a Countax 42" mower and generally do it every 10-14 days between Apr-Sep, then as and when needed. We have a range of models, many with small wheels including some Dynam EDFs, so we try to keep it short. Also if is kept short as much as possible it needs less work anyway. It takes about 2 hours.

Does anyone use a cricket greens type cylinder mower?

CB

Edited By ChrisB on 23/11/2015 20:53:42

Agreed Pyro, I do feel they are best choice..

We have a set too with rollers attached, we tow with the cadet cub mower.. makes a superb job in super quick time. Twice a year we hire a vibrating road roller, weekend hire is two for one day! perfect as we get it Friday afternoon until Monday am ... it rolls the runway a treat at the start and end of a season..