Poundland adhesives

Geoff S

I've been using cyano glue from Poundland on and off for about a year. At first I only used it for non-critical applications but my experience is that it simply works. I usally buy a small stock and keep it in the fridge until I open it.

The last time I went in to get some cyano I also needed some 5 minute epoxy and so I've been trying that, too. It cures quite quickly (as it should) and also appears tobe perfectly OK. I only use 5 minute epoxy in non-critical areas anyway (I prefer longer cure where it really matters. It just seems to be sensible) so I'll be using it again.

Our local Poundland is right by the bus stop so it's handy to have walk round if I have a 10 minute wait. I buy their sand paper and wet and dry as well as AA non-rechargeable batteries for bike lights etc..

Does anyone else use Poundland adhesives etc? Any problems? Is there any point paying more?

Geoff

Advert

I have been using both the super glue and epoxy for the last couple of years and have found it to be first class. I don't even keep the super glue in the fridge just leaving it on the carton the packs are attached to until required. One glue in Poundland that can catch you out if you use Depron at all is their UHU Power which melts Depron really fast, so don't mistake it for POR

My only issue with pound land epoxy is that there is very little in the tubes.

For a few years now I've been buying the 10 minute set from my local in excess for about £1:55 and its full to the top and works great.

The cyano from pound land is brilliant and well more than worth it.

That said, I can buy a (can't remember the ml) but it's a medium size bottle from screw fix very cheaply and again it's great.

Poundland cyano is great. . I have been using the stuff for at least ten years. I have aeroplanes here - put together ten years ago - and the glue joints are still solid.

However, it does have a shelf-life, and it slows down if it is left in your workshop and not used for a few weeks., But at 10p per bottle, just throw it away and get another one from the fridge.

B.C.

I've used the poundland cyanos on balsa and it's been fine, but recently used some to glue some hinges into Elapor foam and they came out after 3 flights, went back and glued them in with ZAP and no problems since then.

Since I bought the ZAP (thick) to fix the hinges, I've been using it on a model I'm building and do find it much easier to use, the poundland stuff needs a kicker to get it to go off (or you are holding it for ages), the ZAP gives you a few seconds of positioning time and then goes off, it's very consistent.

It sounds as though the Poundland epoxy is very variable in nature, My experience was that it looked and smelled 'odd', and when set it looked and behaved much like the glaze on a toffee apple - brittle with poor adhesion.

The Poundland bottles of CA where excellent value, the small tubes are just as good for fitting CA hinges and hardening balsa but there's not a lot of glue in them.

I've put together a couple of EPP models using Poundland UHU all purpose adhesive (60ml in the yellow box), bonding in wooden formers and spars and it seems to have no ill effects on the foam.

I've also used it on depron that had been painted with water based poly, but not on bare depron. I see Alec James in his post warns against using UHU Power on depron, but i thought I'd give the all purpose a try.

Putting a thin coat on two pieces of depron it did wrinkle the surface a little but soon dried and when brought together gave a strong bond. Perhaps in a thin film the solvent flashes off quickly before it does much damage.

The glue smells remarkably like old time balsa cement, I'll have to give it a try.

I bought a tube of UHU from Poundland, too but, as I expected, found it wasn't very foam friendly when I experimented on some scrap. It's still a useful tool in my adhesive armoury. Fortunately Boyers general purpose shop in Ripley, stocks a wide range of useful stuff - razor saws, glue sticks and hot glue guns, a full range of Humbrol enamel plus the usual household goods etc - and also UHU Por, so I'm spoilt for choice.

I just wish we still had a convenient model shop. There were several when I started modelling 20 years ago but despite my enthusiastic custom they've all closed and I'm left with Poundland and Boyers but, mostly, the internet.

Geoff