Ballerina - Material list

kc

Sorry that's my mistake. It is of course Birch Ply. More expensive than other ply but much nicer to work with and stronger too.

You can buy just a square foot if thats all you need.   The big bits in the bargain section are a great buy if you need lots but beware the 60 inch lengths may add a lot to postage!

Did you see my note about making the 6mm part from 2 layers of 3mm?   Saves buying 6mm as well.

Edited By kc on 05/12/2015 19:58:51

Posted by Craig thomas 1 on 05/12/2015 20:43:13:
So far I'm up to ?125 lol. I'm ordering g 1 extra of everything. Got most of the bits and pieces in the order. This dosent include glues or coverings but it does include a couple of tools and most of the hardware. Who knew building was so expensive? Hopefully not my wife. 😅

Yeap, building is definitely not a cheap way to get a model. I never cease to be amazed by many of the ARTF's I see (and fly!) - I simply couldn't build a model for what they cost.

It does get a bit cheaper as you go on - because you acquire a "scrap box" - it is not scrap at all of course - its bits of wood left over when you have finished the model. But often you'll be surprised how much of a new build's material you already have in there.

BEB

The cost of all the balsa, ply & spruce ACTUALLY needed according to my material list ( if my estimate and calculation is right! ) would be £42.09 plus post if you bought from SLEC and very similar if bought from Balsa Cabin.

The piano wire would come to £4.11 extra or £2.62 for just the 8SWG if you already have scraps of 14 & 16SWG for the elevator joiner & skid.

My costing is based on buying the minimum size SLEC supply. For example buying a 300mm by 300mm piece of 6mm birch ply when you really only need 80mm by 110mm. ( you could laminate from spare 3mm ) Or buying 36 inches of dowel when you only need 2 inches and buying a full sheet of 1/2 when you only need half a sheet. So most people will be able to find these small bits in stock or have plenty left for other models. My estimate is also based on the most economical use of materials as I explained.

Make sure you store the ply properly -flat & weighted down- as the 3mm birch ply and 6mm birch ply needs to be flat but warps very easily especially indoors with central heating.

John said "Those prices for 24 inch by 60 inch look odd ? "  yesterday.   It is noted that it's crossgrain.  That normally means the outer grain runs acroos the short dimension rather than the usal long dimension.  No problem for us as we only use small bits.  However it is very cheap and might have some other defects, maybe warped? 

Edited By kc on 06/12/2015 16:51:09

Well you need digital scales in the house to weigh letters etc .......

However a simple balance of some sort works - you don't need to know the weight but just to find which sheets are heavier.

Various designs for homemade balances are around somewhere......

Yes, but you can easily shape it from 1/8" sheet. Matk it off, shape it and then cut it off the sheet.

I use this method because it is easier than trying to get a perfect chamfer on 1/16" sheet trailing edges. Doing it this way you can just put the sheet trailing edges on and then add the final 1/8" X 3/*8" trailing edge