Lidl Modeling Jigsaw and Bench Grinder

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 30/11/2015 21:11:33:

Details here......

Interesting....it talks about the jigsaw having a DC motor so it must be a smallish size. I wish they would do a small circular sander too....that would be very useful...

Actually most motors are DC (or, more strictly, ac/dc). Really cheap motors are shaded pole ac only - used to used in washing machines and cheap turntables, maybe still are. Then there's the definitely ac only brushless ones we use in our models. I was concerned it would need a DC supply, which I have, but I'd prefer it to be mains powered or, at least, with built-in rechargeable LiPos.

I got one yesterday and it seems fine. The only problem was fitting it into the small rack pack on my bike. The box was bigger than I expected. I haven't tried it in anger yet but it seems it will be perfect for my needs.

I did wonder where to get replacement blades and I'm relieved to find they're the same as Proxon and that Axminster stock them as well as available on eBay. I'm great fan of Axminsterr and have one of their smaller bandsaws I use a lot. Thanks for the info.

Geoff

Posted by GONZO on 01/12/2015 13:57:32:

Sort of connected; in the past I had a floor standing grinder. I removed one wheel and in its place I used a 'pigtail' to attach a buffing wheel. Is it still possible to get these parts or have the 'elf police banned such things?

Have you seen

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cbk150c-6in-polishing-kit/

or

http://www.axminster.co.uk/pigtail-mop-arbor-6mm-shank-503936

or even

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POLISHING-MOP-PIGTAIL-converts-bench-grinder-etc-/401024256099

Plummet

Turned mine into a table top jigsaw. I've mounted mine upside down in some scrap wood off cuts so I can use it to cut out formers etc and have both hands free the move the work around.

I made a frame from some MDF that is placed over the top of my circular saw so it's at a good working height. I rebated the table top to nestle the jigsaw tool in. I have access to the on/off switch and speed control underneath, it's held in place via the Tee bar on the tool and two 1/8" ply plates/saddles screwed in. The pictures hopefully will explain.

used circular saw as a rest

mounted over circular saw table

access to on off switch

rebated wood top to nestle jigsaw

The table top is 15 mm deep, after drawing around the heel sole plate and Tee bar I rebated the area needed for the tool heel in at around 7 mm down and the rebate for the Tee bar less so.

supported upside down

end view

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 05/12/2015 14:25:15

• 2 months later...

Just had it stop working, checked the fuse and that the current was getting to the tool then took it to bit's and found one of the wires to the switch with only one or two wire strands for the connection. Stripped back the wire a little and re-soldered it and back working now. Phew wink.

20160301_101819.jpg

20160301_102345.jpg

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 01/03/2016 11:29:16

• 9 months later...