Lidl Modeling Jigsaw and Bench Grinder

Not sure about the jigsaw, but for less money you can get a better quality grinder from screwfix. I would avoid the Lidl one mainly because of the small wheels and the plastic rests for whatever you are grinding.

The saw looks interesting, but I would want to see it in the flesh first and am a bit sceptical when the specs are just 'a powerful dc motor' not stating 500watt etc. The casing looks good, but the business end looks a bit 'wimpy'.

I have nothing against cheap tools, and have had a few that are good and have stood the test of time, but from experiance the ones that are consistantly useless have been jigsaws. They are let down by the blade mount and the foot with insufficiant support, both of which look like areas of concern on this one. If it cannot cut straight then it is sooooo frustrating and a waste of money. These are made to a price, not a quality and just because Lidl have it on promotion for three days does not make it a good buy.

Of course I could be wrong and they will be the best thing since Lidl sliced bread!laugh

Screwfix grinder here

Cheers, Simon

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 01/12/2015 11:19:44

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 01/12/2015 11:06:26:
Posted by Luke Lane on 01/12/2015 09:01:07:

Thanks for the heads up. My lovely wife is going to get me the jigsaw on Thursday.

Man can never have enough planes, engines, radio, workshop tools or gadgets.

He who dies with the most toys.....wins!!! thumbs up

It is very possible that Luke could win then. I've seen some of his toys devil

Edited By DB on 01/12/2015 14:18:01

Thanks for the heads up. My lovely wife is going to get me the jigsaw on Thursday.

Steve I was thinking something along those lines just recently whilst looking around the garage at the tools I've collected over the years. Stuff the cost of which I couldn't begin to contemplate if I had to replace it, and just who would want them after my days. For example, I have a set of Stahiwlle AF double ended ring spanners which I bought when I was an apprentice 50 years ago and treasured ever since for that reason. My son, although a great guy has no interest in picking up a spanner let alone using one in anger.

I have no desire to go to the great hanger in the sky just yet, but who knows. And on that cheerful thought.............................

Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 02/12/2015 12:16:02:

Steve I was thinking something along those lines just recently whilst looking around the garage at the tools I've collected over the years. Stuff the cost of which I couldn't begin to contemplate if I had to replace it, and just who would want them after my days. For example, I have a set of Stahiwlle AF double ended ring spanners which I bought when I was an apprentice 50 years ago and treasured ever since for that reason. My son, although a great guy has no interest in picking up a spanner let alone using one in anger.

I have no desire to go to the great hanger in the sky just yet, but who knows. And on that cheerful thought.............................

I have some very old tools that belonged to my father and his father before him. I think of him each time I use a tool that was once in his workshop. I also have a Britool BSF/Whitworth socket set that was a 21st birthday present 55 years ago. I haven't used it for years because everything's metric these days but I will never part with it. I can't imagine not having a workshop.

Geoff

Wifey came home with the jigsaw. For £16.99p, I'm very impressed with the quality and features. 240 volt mains powered, long power lead, variable speed, tilting shoe (45 degrees), adjustable cutting guide and tactile rubber grip on the body of saw. I would think it'll be capable of cutting plywood up to 6 mm in thickness. I'll give it a test tomorrow night when SWMBO goes out.

I bought some of those Stahiwlle AF spanners both open ended and ring when I left the RAF and worked at Hawker Siddly in Hatfield for a few weeks. Absolutely beautiful spanners. I still have them and some ore in my flight box right now, the others in my toolbox on my modelling bench. They served me many years as a maintenance fitter.

Posted by Luke Lane on 03/12/2015 18:52:17:

Wifey came home with the jigsaw. For £16.99p, I'm very impressed with the quality and features. 240 volt mains powered, long power lead, variable speed, tilting shoe (45 degrees), adjustable cutting guide and tactile rubber grip on the body of saw. I would think it'll be capable of cutting plywood up to 6 mm in thickness. I'll give it a test tomorrow night when SWMBO goes out.

Do the blades look like a standard type or will they be a problem getting replacements ?

I am just south of the London boundary and I have found Lidl to only get the offers that the manager thinks will sell in his store. I have often not located one of the offers in any local store. Its not just an Ireland thing.

On the Other hand, Aldi seem to have a random distribution of their weekly offers. Most stores seem to get most if not all the weekly offers but in varying quantities. Talking to the staff it seems they have little information or influence on what they will receive.

Posted by trebor on 03/12/2015 21:16:20:
Posted by Luke Lane on 03/12/2015 18:52:17:

Do the blades look like a standard type or will they be a problem getting replacements ?

Thought I'd add this pic for the benefit of anyone else who might be thinking of buying one. Our local Lidl had just three left when I bought mine yesterday.

blades.jpg

The blades look the same as those used with the Proxxon jigsaw. Axminster Tools supply these.

Have tried out my saw with various types of wood and plastic and I'm very happy with the results & performance. No more excuses now, I'm off to carry on with my new project, the Percival Piston Provost.

I bought the saw from my local branch yesterday and was impressed by the quality and feel of the tool although I was a little perturbed by the blades supplied they are like none I have ever seen before so if anyone has any information regarding a supplier Im sure I along with a few others would be very grateful thanks already.

Chris

Edited By chris close 1 on 05/12/2015 02:36:34