Sullivan Starter issue

Advert

I don't have the answer to your question but I have had mine apart to straighten the shaft and seen the bearing that you refer to. In the end I didn't need to replace mine.

I also happened to be perusing the 'Simply Bearings' web site and remember seeing that they stock what appeared to be the same style of bearing

I only mention it in case to struggle to find one. Let us know how you get on.

As an aside, although I have used the Dynatron for years, last summer I happened to see and use the Just Engines geared starter. I bought my own the same day and have used it ever since. IMHO a better starter for less money.

stu k

Stu , Cymaz , Its an ebay purchase . The guy is willing to refund me so I think I will just send it back. I had found the spares section and the listing of the complete motor led me to believe it may not be viable. If I were stuck with it then I would maybe try & pull it apart but I think I will return it and look for another.

Thanks J

I use the J'en 6.5:1 geared job and run it off a 6s lipo. It will turn anything! I asked them to get me one for my pain in the backside SC 5cyl radial as their smaller geared starter didn't cut it and I saw the bigger one on the OEM's website. It also spins up my laser 300 and 360 with ease and it even shrugged off a DLE55 without any fuss.

Just be warned that if you use 6s lipo its quite easy to weld the switch on if you aren't careful, especially when it is new. Also if you coil the cable around the starter when you store it the cable can break at the point where it meets the starter body. I took mine apart and have made a detachable lead using EC5 connectors and it works very well.

Sadly I have gone through two Dynatron starters that I have packed up for various reasons (I don't know what I do to 'em) , but for some while I have been using the J'en geared starter on my 60cc petrol jobs and it turns them over with ease with two 12v LA batteries connected in series. When I first bought it I didn't think it would last 5 minutes, but I have had to eat my words. Good price too.

• 2 months later...

Hi I fixed my Dynatron yesterday, which had the same problem as yours. There was no bearing in mine, just a brass bushing, which works loose due to smacking the starter on the engine. Take the end caps off, remove the bushed end and place a socket over the crimped in bush, give it a wack with a hammer and all is sorted. Easy job 10 miniuts, no bits to buy!!!!!