outrunner wiring

Ernie

Hi Guys, I must be missing something. This must be a very common problem.

I've just finished a wee glider, with an outrunner motor. Now, space is pretty tight up front, and the wires come out of the front of the outrunner, so they are passing very close to the rotating shell of the motor, with the danger of damage.

What do you electric whizzes suggest?

ernie

Advert

First choice is to glue or secure the wires to the fus clear of the rotating part. If that's not possible you could make a hole in the side of the nose corresponding to where the wires come out of the motor then another hole beyond the motor length to bring them back in. A small fairing covering the holes & wires would tidy things up.

It is a problem. We don't really want the motor to commit suicide by cutting through its own wires I've always been able to tape or stick the wires to the fuselage without going to lengths Pat suggests. Fortunately, on electric conversions etc it's more usual to mount the motor the other way round and then it's not a problem at all.

Geoff

Thanks all, It is a problem. at the risk of sounding negative, theres not much room to stick the wires to the inside of the fuz...I don't want to buy an inrunner, with all the installation problems...Its tight in there. I suppose the best way is to go out side the fuz and add a fairing. I'll go and give it a whirl

ernie

Is it too late to give your model a firewall behind the motor, and a removable lightweight cowl for the nose? I mounted an AXI outrunner in my scale Cub by bolting it directly to the firewall instead of using the normal X-mount, which was too wide to fit in the cowl. It does require access to the rear of the firewall though, to tighten the mounting bolts from the back -- hex socket bolts and a long ball-ended hex driver does the job for me.

Is it possible to reverse the shaft on the motor you have? It sounds like the prop driver is on the shaft coming out the back. On some motors you can reverse the shaft or get a prop driver that bolts to the outrunning bit. I am sure there is a motor out there to suit your needs. Not a good plan to have the wires coming out the front Have a word with BRC hobbies

Hi a canned out runner would sort your problem if you can find one . It's an out runner that runs inside a metal can giving all the torque of a out runner with the convenience of an in runner. There are not many on the market but you may be able to find something suitable. They were fitted in the Flying Legends fighters sold by Ripmax a few years ago Other option is to re configure your motor so that the shaft protrudes from the other end effectively letting the wires exit at the back out of the way of the rotating can. Wires hanging out of the side of the model should not really be an option as they are untidy and can get caught or damaged when landing.

Posted by Engine Doctor on 21/12/2015 10:07:21:

Wires hanging out of the side of the model should not really be an option as they are untidy and can get caught or damaged when landing.

Not as untidy as a cylinder head would be. There would be no need for them to be "hanging" even if not covered by a small fairing, as suggested.

Posted by Engine Doctor on 21/12/2015 10:07:21:

Wires hanging out of the side of the model should not really be an option as they are untidy and can get caught or damaged when landing.

Not necessarily. The esc for my Limbo Dancer is mounted on the outside of the fuselage between the undercarriage legs and perfectly safe and secure.

Geoff