First Bi-Plane

David Hayward.

Hi, planning ahead a little here as I am in the throws of learning to fly with a Pegasus Boomerang built from a kit; however when the time is right I would like to build a Bi-Plane and am looking for suggestions on what would make a suitable subject, either a kit or a plan but not RTF or ARTF.

Although learning to fly all over again I have returned after 25 years away to start again so I have experience of building from plans in the past having built a Pronto trainer and then a Spirit; both RCM&E plans I believe.

I have just finished building a middle phase, trainer version with dihedral, rudder and elevator control. About to start on Peter Miller's Ballerina which I will not be flying for some time however, liked it so much and just like to keep building.

I look forward to suggestions anyone may have and thank you in advance.

David

Advert

Don't forget that these DB designs- Tnker, Bistormer, Scout etc- have rib sets available at reasonable prices -!3 pounds for Tinker. These are laser cut sets I think and the ones I have for the Tyro Major are beautifully cut. Buy with the plans to save postage.

No reason why not

My Scout was very forgiving, with none of the traits that some biplanes can exhibit that might catch you out (e.g, opposite aileron required in turns)

The usual provisos would apply re just because you've gone solo on your trainer, don't automatically assume you're required to "go it alone" from that point on. Get an instructor or experienced hand to guide you through the first few flights of your second model until you're comfortable with it - be that a Scout, Tinker, Ballerina, or something completely different - and it should be fine

Thank you very much to everyone that has responded, this has been really helpful and given me confidence to make a choice based on some sound advice. I have not actually made that choice yet as I would like to mull over the information given, but as the Ballerina build comes towards the end I shall want to decide then so I can have the next project ready to start.

David.

One thing worth considering with a biplane is the ease of assembly if it's too big to carry with wings attached. Biplanes can easily become hangar queens if it's too much trouble to get them ready to fly. Believe me, I love them too, but mine very rarely get an outing because of the faff. I'm hoping my latest one won't suffer that problem.

Geoff

David, have a look at the free plans website Outerzone If you type Bipe into the search box, you'll be spoilt for choice.

As I said, the plans and in many cases the build article, are free to download to your PC and you can print them off on your own printer on A4 paper and tape them together. The website explains how to do this. I've printed several this way, it's easy to do.

My pick is the 4-40 BIPE by Doc Mathews which was produced in kit form by Ace Model Aircraft in the US where it was very popular and easy flying Biplane. Here's one, fitted with floats, which lost it's top wing during a flight and the pilot managed to get down safely

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 22/12/2015 09:51:54

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 21/12/2015 17:10:39:

Well you could always try this Tiger Moth. Tim Hooper has just finished his and very nice it looks, too if the pictures he posted on RCGroups here are anything to go by.

Other than that I'd suggest any of the bi-planes at DB Sport and Scale. There are several to choose from.

Geoff

That's what I would suggest. My Tiger Moth flies like a trainer.

• 8 months later...

So an update to my 'First Biplane'; I opted for the 4-40 Bipe available as a free plan from Outerzone and after a few months she is now ready for covering. I made a couple of minor changes to the original plan: side mounted the engine and fabricated a vintage style undercarriage as I am going to finish this as a Warbird lookalike. Here's a couple of shots:

4-40 bipe 2.jpg

4-40-bipe 1.jpg