Chris's Bella Ballerina HD

McG 6969

Advert

Hello gentlemen & thank you.

Apologies, Colin. I didn't see your message when I was posting mine.

I was indeed lucky to have been able to combine several occupations in the past., from graphical design, building & racing cars, composite stuff, up to full size small birds. Waving in my hobbies into full time jobs at times and now trying to translate what I learned into Depron and balsa bits. angel

I just hope it will going on looking that way then, Rosco. smiley

Just be careful, Peter. Lego/Duplo thingies really could rapidly become very addictive... wink

Thanks, Simon. blush

Regarding the dihedral brace, I'll simply use Peter's design... with a few "variations" (Peter's own word, here).

Instead of using 3mm ply, I'm having 2 braces of 1,5mm Flug-ply, one at the front & one at the back of the main spar. The reason for this is that without having any u/c beam in the D-box to reinforce the wing dowel area, the 'front' brace will allow me to join R1/R1A (and the dowel) with a triangular Deply plate. Not so sure if this reads understandable though...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Brace Control

Maybe it wasn't your primary intention, Peter.

But believe me the u/c block and torsion beam are reinforcing the D-box a lot at the centre section.

You should see my wing at the moment with a big area full of 'emptyness', specially as the Depron gives an 'ocean' of flexible white virginity.

So, my intention is - at the time of bringing the wings together - to join the R1 laminated bits (containing the dowel) with a triangular Deply plate to the main spar between R1 & R2, just to spread the load over a larger area.

Many thanks for your concern.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Load Control

Hello gentlemen,

As the main part of the wing is pretty much completed, I’m afraid the smaller bits will take a lot more time and attention.

1893_wing_aileron01_900.jpg

The aileron leading edge has been glued in, followed by the ribs, a Depron gusset at the wing split, some balsa doublers for the hinges and the ply plate for the control horn.

I left the gap between wing and aileron at 3mm at the moment but the wing extremities will be reinforced with 0,8mm triangular shaped ply while the aileron will receive 1,5mm balsa triangles at each end. yes

1895_wing_aileron02_900.jpg

Finally the T-shaped false leading edge was glued in. Those little bits are really taking more time to bring in as needed to write it down…

1900_wing_leadingedge_900.jpg

Anyway, while I'm trying to put all this together, Simon is happily demonstrating his 'super-lightweight-direct-drive-aileron-servo'... As Calimero used to argue, life isn't really the same for all of us... sad angel

Note to myself #2 > sjeesh, don’t forget the paper tube…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Small Bits Control

Chris, you have the fastidiousness of Howard Hughes with the "Spruce Goose". That's not an insult either, he's one of my heroes. This is more than a model plane, it's an expression of a desire for perfection. It must have reflected in your earlier activities. I get obsessed with project ideas, some are finished and some linger, but I don't achieve your standards of workmanship because of limited time and desire to get onto the next one.

Thank you both, gents.

I must confess I had to google the “Spruce Goose”, Colin.

I didn’t realize it was Hughes’s H-4. But no quest for perfection for me though, I just do the best I can, also trying to avoid the big booby traps ahead. But then that’s what making my progression too slow as it has often been the case in the past with some former ‘first time’ projects.

Don’t worry, I’m already busy (“obsessed”?) with some “project ideas”, but I should very probably regret it if I left the Bella aside to start another idea.

I can only hope that the second half-wing will benefit in building speed from this first one as I would like to start my new project after New Year... but also would like to see some ‘Bella’s completed pictures’ before that.

No visit at La Grotte today as I got a day off from The LotH to watch F1 in Abu Dhabi. Apologies also to the Lewis fans, but I hope Nico wins his first title.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Obsession Control

Hello again to everybody,

Let’s have some progression to the Bella’s wing.

I started to prepare the dihedral braces as they have to be glued in before the wing can be Depron-covered.

1901_win_brace01_900.jpg

First thing, I had to manage the consequences of a slight neuron battle as I did cut one brace from 1,5mm ply - which was the original idea – and one from… 2mm aero-ply. surprise

So, for the sake of wood spillage, Gaston and I made the decision to have the ‘thicker’ one at the rear of the main spar & the ‘other’ one at… the front of it as foreseen. angel

I’m also foreseeing a thin brace at the rear spar to prepare for a ‘box’ for the wing bolds. Very probably not even necessary though. We’ll see about that at the joining phase.

1904_wing_brase02_900.jpg

I added a ‘partial’ - at the curved top only – doubler to R2 being only there to give some top gluing surface for the ‘central’ covering as I will be sheeting the top of the wing up to R2 before removing it from the board.

In my opinion, the most important bit of the progress, is that I thought about my paper tube… yes

1908_wing_papertube_900.jpg

I remember some blogs 'with'… and 'without' tubes, but I didn’t seem to recall to be told how the Musketeers ‘did’ it. So I had some very basic idea to cut a piece of paper at the appropriate dimensions, rolling it around a wooden dowel, introducing the dowel and paper in my ‘old’ ali tube, sliding the tube into the wing ribs and while holding the paper extremity in place, extract the ali tube from the wing. One drop of school glue at both ends, et voilà…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Neuron Control

That is the reccomended way of fitting paper tubes.

The lesson learned from both models and full size. (Full size anything!!!) is that access is vital. If you can't get at it you will have to at some stage.

. I learned most of my swear words on full size aircraft. These days I will not install anything unless I can get it out and repace it easily

Thank you both, gents.

And I'm convinced that you are both right as well.

Simon's method will obviously take less work and will absolutely be lighter.

In my past racing experience, I noticed that Murphy wasn't very often at my side as I seemed to manage effortless to break parts that weren't easily 'removable'.

After learning some Flemish & French swear words as well during some time, I finally started to fabricate my components in a more 'serviceable' way. angel

So, I suppose I became a fan of Peter's words "access is vital". At least it is for me, since I'm not convinced that Mr Murphy retired already. He must be still out there somewhere... indecision

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR 'Murphy' Control

Ok... is that all you've got to post buster?

I'm sorry. You volunteering to wait for the delivery of my carpet has something to do with the fact that you didn't make any progress today.

Shame on the delivery guy for showing up very late in the afternoon. I love the delivery guy for delivering my carpet. Thank you sooooo much for waiting for the delivery. But now... back to work mister. I want to see that plane finished!

Cheers

Iris BE / CTR Progress Control

Murphy is always lurking in the shadows.

I quite often find him hanging out it nut threads. It's always the last one too! Just when there's one more bolt/nut to be tightened, he jumps out and threads it or breaks it somehow.

When I worked in the crash shop, after I'd hung a panel and bolted it on a thousand times during the repair he'd stick his head out when the panel was painted and was going to be bolted on for the last time. He'd twist it so it never fitted how it did before and sometimes would make my life really difficult by chipping an edge!

Rosco

Yep, that was 'all' I definitely could post, dear. That 'volunteer' activity probably costed me the fact that my progression gets even slower than 'normal'... frown

But then, as the year slowly gets to its end, I can feel that I will be rewarded with a huge X-mas gratification. Carpet looks really great by the way... angel

I'm so relieved now, Rosco. Relieved that Mr Murphy's activities are not only concentrated in the Northern hemisphere. wink

Your bodyshop story reminds me of analog situations when I was fabricating some bodywork reinforcements for rally cars. Measuring, adjusting, presenting the piece tenths of time and finally not fitting anymore when ready to use the TIG welder... blush

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR X-mas Control

Hello gents,

After The LotH’s ‘carpet’ episode, I went back to La Grotte today and started to cut some new bits for Bella’s wing. yes

Not that much to show though as the restart seemed to be slowed down by making a second ‘kit’ for the other forthcoming half wing.

1912_wing_servo_mount01_900.jpg

Some 0,8mm ply rib doublers, some hardwood servo bearers, styrene templates to drill the holes as accurate as possible… drawn, cut and sanded & that’s it for now.

Still quite strange that some bits are faster to produce or build than to describe… and then some other ones are quite the total opposite… frown

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Bits Control

Hi Chris - it looks like we use the same supplier. Were you able to fit your servos into the mount/cover without modifying them? The lugs on my servos are too thick to fit into the slots on the cover.

dscn2657.jpg

They fit into the separate bar piece, but not the main cover piece, If I want to use them I will have to file the lugs thinner. The servo lugs are 2.76mm and the grooves in the cover are only 1.81mm.

Yes, they look exactly the same, Steven.

I use some 13gr Corona MG for the ailerons.

My lugs were fitting just fine, but there is a reinforcement at each side of the mounting screws where the lug reaches the main housing. So, I had to file that flat with the lug. No problem really.

I'll try to find a few 'old' pics, Rosco.

But after more than 20 years of racing, I think my 'autobiography' would be a bit too much for the build blog...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Vintage Control

Hello to all,

Quite a bit off topic, but on ‘special’ request from Rosco, here we go then.

It all started with a scrap-saved NSU Prinz back in ’72. By swapping the small 600cc /2 cyl. with a 1200 TT / 4 cyl., the in-house power got tripled and it allowed me to have my first steps, my first podium cup… and my first ‘rolling somersault’.

The build of my first ‘real’ race car - a fibreglass panelled VW Beetle with a 2200cc bored out engine – took me more than a year to achieve but it was a real pleasure to drive and let me have my first international experiences in ’76 & ‘77.

chris_1977_cox2200_essay_france.jpg

After a very expensive try out in ’78 with a Carrera 2,8L, I decided to drive FWD-cars starting with the VW Golf 1 /GR.5 in ’79 up to the Golf 2 16V / Gr.A in ’88, also preparing some track and rallycars for third parties to make it affordable.

chris_1981_vice-champion.jpg

chris_1984_golf_vicechampion.jpg

chris_1987_eurochamp_arendonk.jpg

I finally rallied with Audi Quattro 90 Gr.A and had endurance track races with a VW Fun Cup & Holden Commodore in the early nineties.

Having decorating racers all that time for VW & Audi Belgium, it allowed me to keep ‘in touch’ even after my ‘active’ involvement came to an end.

chris franco r8 audi.jpg

I always enjoyed drawing some basic sketches, bringing it to a coherent concept for the sponsors and finally applying some colours to bring it to life.

chris franco r8 dce.jpg

It still remains surprisingly rewarding to be able to contemplate the final result of one’s pencil strokes… Here the Le Mans prototype Audi R8, winner of the 1000km of Spa in 2003.

For those interested, I left a few other ‘vintage’ pictures in the dedicated album.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Pencil Control