Newbie to rc flight

Mattb5m

Advert

Start with what interests you, not what you've been told is easier, otherwise what's the point! Personally I don't see much difference in difficulty between planse and multirotors; they are very different to fly, but not fundamentally more or less difficult than each other. Helis are probably the toughest from day 1, but if that's what you want to do get yourself a sim, a small coax for indoor practice and some instruction at a club and you should be fine.

Edited By MattyB on 05/01/2016 16:55:37

Hi and welcome.

I would agree with Matty - do what interests you. You can learn on fixed wing, helis or MRs its up to you and what you find floats your boat.

Regarding relatively easier? Well fixed wing is probably the easiest overall. MRs are a bit tricky to define in terms of how easy they are. You see they can be flown in different modes. In GPS-Hold they are the easiest of all - easier than fixed wing and much, much easier than a heli. But at the other end of the scale, in full manual mode they are about as difficult as a heli. And there are intermediate degrees of difficulty as well with them like stabilised modes. So they have the advantage that you can initially learn in a easy mode and then step things up as you go. Heli's (with the exception of small co-axial helicopters) are harder than fixed wing and similar to MR in full manual and generally don't have easier settings.

So, take your pick. Whatever you fancy, the advice to seek out a local club is good and don't forget it really is advisable to have insurance too. If you plump for one track folks on here can give you some specific advice on good starter kit.

Enjoy!

BEB

Thanks guys , there is a rc aeroplane club in Swindon , 10 minute drive from me in fact . Planes and helis catch my eye but I do like the scale model planes of war planes like the spitfire etc but also like the look of a bi plane while doing stunts .

What's the best plane to start with ? I would start with electric as got the knowledge from brushless rc cars with lipo battery's which may help ...

In fact here a picture

Any recomdations? I would like to build or part build as well and I love the building part of the modelling .

Cheers

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 05/01/2016 22:09:21

OK, we all love warbirds but you can't learn to fly on one - too tricksy!

So, we have a type of model called "a trainer" its designed to learn on. Its quite stable so it won't do anything sudden to catch you unawares, its got an undercarraige like a tank so you can get away with those early "landings" that are bit less than perfect! And they tend to fly a bit slower - giving you a bit more time to think.

Lots of them araound. If you're looking for a bit of building (but not too much to start with) something like a Arising Star, a Boomerang or an ePioneer (all made by Seagull) or an Irvine Tutor are all good and can be electric powered. No doubt others can make further recommendations as well.

Take a look at some of them

BEB

Personally I would not say that is necessarily true. That model is good one - but its a little on the light side for what I would recommend a beginner. Just 1.2Kg. Don't get me wrong, that's OK. But the ones I indicated above are a bit heavier and this has advantages. Heavier models fly more steadily - particular in the rather windy conditions we get here!

But its your choice and that model would be OK as a trainer, but you might find that some days you loose flying time because its a bit blowy, whereas the likes of the Tutor etc (which weigh about twice that) would just shrug that off.

Others, who don't live on the NW coast of course may have different views!

BEB

PS Take a look here for how to insert hyperlinks - it makes it quicker for readers to follow what you are pointing at! smile

As BEB says Warbirds and "the beast" are for later on, learn to fly on a trainer - BEBs mentioned some good ones,

I have flown the Discovery and its a good little plane, stable and mild mannered but does weather cock in the winds we have here in the NW - I've also got and regularly fly an E-Pioneer, heavier and more wind resistant, others to consider are the Trainstar from Hobbyking, The Eflite Apprentice (one of the top 3 or 4 trainers but expensive), or for a very first bash at RC flying there good old Hobbyking Bixler2 or 3, both ideal initial birds for 4 channel cheap as chips and very very repairable (there is one at my club that is more glue and tape than Bixler and still flys nicely but again not in any sort of wind really

Ah, that debate has been going on for decades. Hitec, Spektrum, JR, Futaba, Taranis...your choice is endless. Pilots will recommend what they know, understand how to program it and are comfortable using it.

Taranis is doing well ATM. Almost limitless programming possibilities and very good value ( and that's coming from a Futaba usersurprise ....

Edited By cymaz on 05/01/2016 22:38:06

Lots of good radios on the market now, and it's mostly the one you like the look/feel of that sways you, buy one with extra channels if you can afford it...ie 7 channel they come in handy as you progress to more complex models..which one ? (well that'll start a war) wink have a browse at some then ask for feedback.

John

Oh that is a leading question! Ask 100 R/C flyers what is the best trabsmitter and you'll get 100 different answers!

To be honest my view is that all the well known makes (such as cymaz mentions) are all very good and very reliable these days and its a question of personal choice. Remember for flying reliability and a solid radio link is everything to us. If you loose the radio with a car its inconvienient - if you lose it with a plane is probably the end of the model and, worse, potentially very dangerous.

A good plan would be to contact the club you are intending to join and see what makes their instructors use. Its not that that makes them particularly good brands - but its helpful in terms of helping you set up and buddy etc. They'll be familiar with what you have.

BEB

Oh - you can't have enough channels! Only joking but you would be surprised!

OK at first you just use 4

Aileron

elevator

throttle

rudder.

But soon, you'll want undercarriage (5). Then flaps (6). Then you'll realise that both ailerons and flaps are easier to set up accurately if you have them on independent channels (ie each aileron and each flap on its own channel) now you're at 8 channels. Then you'll want to do channel mixes so that more than one control moves in a coordinated manner with another one - and that all takes channels. Then theres cool gadgets - landing lights, cameras, bomb releases,..... you get the idea!

If what you can afford is a 6 channel radio then that will do you fine for your first year or two. If you can afford a bit more then an 8 or 9 channel would allow growing room. Take a look at the Taranis mentioned above - its a bit different but very good value - 16 channels for about £150. But it does have to be said Spektrum is probably the most popular radio at present and a good bet for a beginner.

BEB

Varies a lot club to club - depends on how much (if any) rent they have to pay and what facilities they offer (e.g. clubhouse etc). Club fees are usually in two parts:

1. £33 goes straight to BMFA to pay your membership - important because its the easiest way to get insured £30M of cover.

2. The rest is the club fee. I guess about £40 is average - but could be more or less. So total somewhere in the £70 to £100 bracket is typical.

Some clubs also have a "joining fee" this is a one off payment, its designed to make a contribution to recent and previous investments the club may have made in facilities that the new member will benefit from.

Yes - weather is poor at the moment nearly everywhere in the UK - the rain is a big problem - not just when its falling but it makes the fields waterloged. This is good time to join though - most clubs run their membership Jan to Jan so they are in renewal at the momnent and may have vacancies because some members are not renewing.

BEB