NGH GT17cc petrol engine starting issues

Jamie sawyer

Can you get any spark from it? Check by earthing the plug on the out side of the casing and rocking the prop across the pick up to cause a spark....( you would have done that already, yes? )

Are the carb needles back to factory settings? If they are, richen the LSN by 1/16.

Tell us exactly the setup, needles, everything....photos if possible

Have a look through this thread, you might come up with something. Also it might be worth emailing Michael Chow on the thread. He seems to be the main man for ngh 

Edited By cymaz on 18/02/2016 19:26:06

Edited By cymaz on 18/02/2016 19:28:01

Hi I have this on a test stand ? Only sent ignition back .roto sent back ok. I have fitted new plug all are new 4 no from Roto ? I did a rebuild to carburetor. All new parts? Last time it was in wot 4xl it started then stopted and I fitted a new ignition and rebuild carburettor any ideas Johncrying

Hard to help from here John, try taking the plug out and putting a drop of fuel in, be careful you don't lock it up. Then see if it will fire up ? that should eliminate ignition and battery being at fault.

John

p.s are you sure the throttle is open, have you tried moving the stick/rod up a bit ?

Edited By john stones 1 on 19/02/2016 13:32:45

The only thing I can think of now is which way is the magnet and/or pick up detector?

Could it be ( and I'm clutching at straw now as I'm running out of ideas) that if the magnet or the detector is the wrong way round then the spark would not be made.

It would seem that if the ignition box has been given the ok then it might be that the magnet is the wrong way round....no idea after thisdisgust

I bought an NGH 25cc Petrol engine which was difficult to start and wouldn't run properly.

Just Engines diagnosed the timing was out 12 Deg since timing has been reset it runs and starts nicely.

I purchased a timing set up kit and now check every engine before running for first time.

Might be worth checking timing is set I believe 28Deg before TDC

Ok, you have spark, you have fuel dripping from the exhaust ( therefore fuel in the cylinder).

It then has to be the timing is soooo far out , needle settings or it needs a geared starter to spin it over fast enough.

I am out of ideas now. If you were down near me at North Cornwall I'd say "bring it over". It's got me mystified.

Edited By cymaz on 20/02/2016 15:40:25

On my ngh 9 it's possible to fit the prop driver 180 degrees out, there being two flats machined on the crankshaft to locate the prop driver. I can't remember if it's possible to do the same with my ngh 25. As I don't have the 17 I don't know at all.

Both engines behave well, start ok but both have to be pretty "wet" to get the initial start of the day over and done with.

Posted by cymaz on 19/02/2016 18:03:39:

The only thing I can think of now is which way is the magnet and/or pick up detector?

It would seem that if the ignition box has been given the ok then it might be that the magnet is the wrong way round....no idea after thisdisgust

I refer the honourable gentlemen to the reply I gave some moments ago.......( in the smug zone) blush

Really glad you got it sorted yesyes. Unidentifable spark ignition problems are a complete PIA

• 4 years later...

A club member has a problem with his NGH GT17. Starts and runs on idle nicely. Picks up and revs well......that’s when the problem starts

• 30 seconds from idle to WOT the engine tightens up considerably, slows and stops.
  • everything else is great. Starts well, idles well, draws fuels well, easy to tune.

The only thing we could come up with is that the piston ring has an incorrect gap, causing it to bind on the cylinder when up to operating temp.

Am I clutching at straws or onto something???

Won't help with the tightness but I replaced my sparkplug with the OS G5 glow plug in my NGH17cc because my CDI units got burned in a fire . Starts and runs lovely on test bench but the NGH is still a bit noisy for our field and I don't have anything suitable to put it in at moment . Really can't see any difference between CDI or glow plug running and for £7.50 it's worth a try , one less battery and CDI unit to fit . Some people say it has problems in tuning but they are modding a glow to petrol but the NGH is already petrol all your doing is replacing the ignition !

Posted by cymaz on 27/09/2020 09:37:02:

A club member has a problem with his NGH GT17. Starts and runs on idle nicely. Picks up and revs well......that’s when the problem starts

• 30 seconds from idle to WOT the engine tightens up considerably, slows and stops.
  • everything else is great. Starts well, idles well, draws fuels well, easy to tune.

The only thing we could come up with is that the piston ring has an incorrect gap, causing it to bind on the cylinder when up to operating temp.

Am I clutching at straws or onto something???

Can you check the ignition timing? Even better if you can try it with another ignition unit from a known working engine. I'm thinking timing advance issues caused problems back when we ran manual or mechanical advance/retards on motorbikes. Other than that you would have to think something is distorting as it warms up, or possibly a bearing on it's way out?