Raptor 30'servos

ryan iuiggu

Any standard servos on all but the tail will be fine Ryan, I used JR591s on mine. Something a bit quicker on the tail is useful & I used a JR2700G. For Gyros I had a JRG460T on one & a CSM 180 on the other. The Raptor is no longer fashionable with the move to flybarless which means that you can pick up suitable components second hand for a song or Midland Helicopters is an excellent source for new.

The Raptor still flys great and is a good intro but I would not go over the top on any of the equipment, it was designed around the standard 3-4kg/cm servos of the day.

If you are just learning the guys are right. Nothing super special is required but you might want to fit something slightly higher in spec (5kg torque digital etc) if you want to get into more advanced flying at a later date or just want the extra margin of spec and additional accuracy of a digi servo. They arent necessary but would be better long term.

For gyros almost anything will do. Its been a while since i looked at gyros but i am sure any of the align, futaba or JR offerings would be more than satisfactory.

Posted by ryan iuiggu on 18/01/2016 21:35:36:

I've just been looking at servos are any of these any good if so which one is the better ones to use

Hitec hs325hb or hs311

Futuaba s148

Or any other suggestions

Edited By ryan iuiggu on 18/01/2016 21:37:30

Any of those would be fine for general (none 3D) flying Ryan. Just be a bit careful of the source if you decide on the Futaba S148 as there are a number of clones around which may not be up to spec.

The Spartan Quark is no doubt a very fine gyro but if you want something a bit more basic for half the price I'd recommend the CSM range, which are made in the UK and have excellent support (£7 for a checkover service including return post).

Gyro - Get a second hand Futaba GY401.

Tail Servo - Futaba S9252/9253/9254. Def buy a cheap but dedicated tail servo.

Futaba s148's have slightly differing sized mountings than the more normal std heli servos like Futaba 3001, 3003, 3010, etc. They do not fit some Heli mounts well.

Even if you go for std servos, try to get ball bearing, and if you can afford digitals, do so as their greater power from rest is an asset on cyclic.

You can convert a Raptor to flybarless later, but WILL need more powerful servos than std then. (AND FBL blades)

• 2 weeks later...

Ryan, have a look at the CSM model range and their recommendations on this link.

If you then click through to the individual gyros you can download the manuals from the product page. Both are very simple to set up just using an an adjustable pot. The fundamental difference is that the 180 is a rate gyro and the 200 is heading hold, which you want is up to you. Both will do the job, the rate gyro is generally easier for a beginner to get to grips with but heading hold is essential if/when you advance to aerobatics.

If you are in a club it is almost certain that a member will have one lying in a draw doing nothing that you can pick up for a pint. The CSM range were enormously popular before flybarless became the norm and I bet an awful lot of established heli flyers will have more than one languishing in their bits box.

Personally, with your first heli, I would try and eliminate as many issues as possible as you will be getting your head around all sorts of things. By that, I would agree with Mr Bran and suggest the futaba 401 and if possible a matched quick servo like the 9254, they are just proven, are simple and just work, I see quite a few cropping up for approx £50 the pair. As for cyclic, to be honest, centering and accuracy I found to be the most important (until I started aerobatics and found strength a key), which is why a theme of digital emerged, although Dave mentions, greater power from rest, and I'm sure he is right. I did buy a few of the HK equivalent gyros to the 401 and to be honest the price is attractive, but i found the performance just not quite as good as the pukka item. On a gyro, for a beginner, OK performance isnt what you want, you want rock solid....so get as good as you can afford, as it will be easily transferable to your next heli as well...For my cyclics on my first Trex 600 I had HS 5265MG's from memory and they were excellent. The Align gyro's are also cheap enough and very good, was it the GP750 from memory, which was slightly older but better than the 780 I recall.....anyhow good luck, get decent gear..

One person I can recommend for good quality second hand bits is User name "eddie1293" and his shop Eddie's Heli-Bitz on EBay.

I have bought loads from him and only once had an issue (with an engine) which he had not seen before sale, and this was very speedily cleared up to my complete satisfaction. From extensive experience over several years, an honest and fair trader.

Gyros are a Marmite subject, and some have hidden penalties like needing a separate setup unit. I have had a lot of Futaba 401's, ALL bought on Heli's or separate second hand, and NEVER had a single issue.

With regard the HK 401b (which just "happens" to have a similar shape and number to the Futaba product!), I have had maybe ten of them. A couple were faulty on supply, one I managed to get right by opening up and making the loose PCB rigid. They are NO Futaba 401 but for 450 class they are generally OK for flying around "scale" like. The tail hold is not up to much more IMO and experience.