RARE LARGE SCALE RC Dornier Do 335 (Engine front and back)

Dom (Essential RC)

Advert

Nitro Planes produced a foam one

There has also been a slightly bigger ARTF about 5 years back. Not sure who made it.

As for flying the electric version I have, it flies well, although the lower fin must be on, as flying it the once without it, was a bit of a challenge. As for speed, my own is not bad for the power available.

Eric described how one of the test pilots at Farnborough was killed flying a captured 335 after the rear engine caught fire and burned through the elevator cables before he realised it was happening and he dived in vertically. The fastest piston engined fighter of WW2, but he reckoned that it was too unresponsive on rudder and elevator to make a good fighter. Still very impressive though.

The 335 is one of those interesting stories, of how a design, was adapted, to meet changing invitations to tender specifications.

As for a fighter, it was not intended to be a air superiority fighter, more of a heavy fighter intended to do battle with bombers. The problem by the time it was entering service, there air supremacy or fighter on fighter arm of the Luftwaffe had ceased to exist.

There are various books which outline proposed variants from the initial set of prototypes.

Given that so few of the machines were built and non seeing active service, Ii it find amazing how these machines turned up all over the place. One at Reims, supposably trying to get to Spain. Which may or may not be true.

Simon, I'm sure that's true.

Erfolg's reference to the 335 at Rheims is about the single seater recovered by Eric Brown with a team of German helpers including Hauptmann Miersch. When they got it working, the plan was to fly it back to England and Miersch was given the task. On the way he landed at Merville, but the nose wheel refused to lock down. He stopped the front engine and feathered the propeller to minimise damage and the plane was salvageable.

The one that crashed after a rear engine fire when being tested at Farnborough, killing the CO of experimental flying, Alan Hards, was a two seater.

Percy, you are right about the rear propeller. It was also fitted with a pneumatically operated ejection seat. Eric describes that in early test flying in Germany, there were two crashes in which the pilot's body was still in the plane, one with both arms ripped off and the other with one arm ripped off. They found that in both cases they had tried to eject, but releasing the canopy involved operating levers that were directly attached to it, so when it flew off it took the pilot's arms with it. It's no wonder that test pilot attrition was so high in those days.

I've tried to sign it, but it seems to pick up that I'm in Spain at the moment and gets complicated, so I'll do it when I get back home. I first read "Wings on my Sleeve" decades ago, but I've just read-read the later version, which is a wonderful read. Particularly interested to look at his input into the futuristic CVA01 aircraft carrier, one of the things that was stupidly cancelled under the Wilson/Healey government when it was part constructed. I know that "Winkle" has been consulted on the design for the new Queen Elizabeth carriers, so I have looked at those to see how much of CVA01 is reflected in them. Although the inset island with aircraft passing on each side isn't there, the narrow angle flight decks which can be operated at the same time certainly look similar, although the new design has got the "ski-jump" as well. Interesting though that back in the day, Eric argued against the P1154 and wanted the Phantom because he believed that VTOL made the plane less effective due to reduced load capability. With the QE class, here we go again. Buying the STOVL version of the F35 instead of the conventional model gives us the plane with inferior performance, largely to save cost on the carrier by eliminating the need for arrester gear. It also means that US carrier planes won't be able to land on them in joint actions. Eric must be very weary of all this nonsense.

This is of course a Dornier 335 thread, so I'd better shut up. That was another example of a wonderful plane that we love to drool over, as long as some other poor fish had the job of flying it. Why on earth Germany continued to fritter its' dwindling resources on such a complex and expensive machine when they had everything they needed for bomber destruction in the Me262 I can't fathom, though thank the Lord they were that stupid. The 262 was also turned into a capable two seat night fighter, something that the 335 might also have done if they could find somewhere to put the radar!

ESM do a large scale Dornier 335. I have one, but I have not finished putting it together yet. I also have the little foamy one which goes well, although it is very easy to lose orientation with it. Currently needs some repairs!

There were also some German guys producing a kit with a shaft drive to the rear propeller, as per the original, so the rear engine goes in the right place. Good idea so long as the engineering of the shaft is up to the job. The ESM one can either have a single petrol engine up front, or a pair of engines. Mine has a 160 twin up front and a 120 single down the back.

Apparently as a model they fly well, without the usual problems associated with warbirds.

John

Percy, you're a philosopher. What a pity that you weren't around at the time to tell the (mediocre) Charlie Chaplin look-alike to stick to his ladders and brushes.

I'm sure that John's right, the 335 is a great lay-out for a model if rear engine reliability (no problem with electric) and c of g are sorted. With the swept back leading edge and cruciform tail it has some resemblance to my Mixmaster and that flies very well. In many ways the characteristics with the contra-prop at the back will be similar to the push-pull arrangement on the 335.

There was apparently a successful radar 335 fighter built as a prototype, still with the Christmas tree system. The biggest issue was apparently providing the tankage necessary for loitering. The radar compartment was directly behind the pilot with a simple flush canopy.

Percy, who won it then, the painter? No wonder that Charlie felt the need to make " The Great Dictator" and show the world what a dipstick Mr. H really was!

I haven't seen the film you mention, that sounds interesting. I'd heard that he had visited England previously. I bet the kids must have loved him, they can usually suss out an idiot.

Erfolg, I think you're right. By the time you've squeezed in the Schrage Musik and radar kit, it's not much use if you've got no room for any fuel. It would have needed to carry external drop-tanks I expect. It's high speed wouldn't have made it much more useful as a night fighter, the 110, 219 and 88 all seemed to do a pretty good job as it was.

• 6 months later...

This thread is a very interesting read and an excellent vid from Dom.

Another Arrow has come on the market this year from Black Horse: **LINK**

It has a 1.7m wingspan and is designed for electric. As you would expect with a project like this, it ain't gonna be cheap, but would be a great achievement. There is a YouTube vid of a ESM one that a guy built as an electric and RTF cost was $1,800USD.

I have seen a few Arrows built as PSS subjects from plans and they appear to fly well.

Edited By KiwiKid on 25/07/2016 04:43:29

• 1 year later...

Just acquired a 335 with a wingspan of about 48" and a four servo wing with brushed motors front and rear. It appears to be some kind of "plastic" construction. Does anyone know of which manufacturer this is please? Will get some pictures whn the wind dies down !

• 3 months later...
Posted by Ron Wylie on 19/03/2018 14:33:51:

Just acquired a 335 with a wingspan of about 48" and a four servo wing with brushed motors front and rear. It appears to be some kind of "plastic" construction. Does anyone know of which manufacturer this is please? Will get some pictures whn the wind dies down !

Hi Ron, i sent you a PM.