Flair Puppeteer

Just watch the CoG. When I built mine last year the the CoG was exactly as the position on the plan -but I didn't have it in a nose down position as stated, it was perfectly at flying attitude with no fuel. Big mistake, It was badly tail heavy, struggled to get it round the circuit but managed to land with no damage. I moved the CoG 15mm forward using 8 oz lead in the cowl and it flies beautifully now

Advert

pupcs.jpgSorry differint kit I know and the hinged idear for the cowl looks a fantastic idear.

Smaller kit thd DB pup. A different set up but same problem, I made the side panel removeable so could access the battery bay i installed, worked a treat on this model.

It was a real pleasure to build that kit.image.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The Sopwith Pup had a wingspan of 26 ft 6 ins.

A 1/6 scale model would have a 4 ft 5 ins wingspan.

The Puppeteer has a wingspan of 5 ft.

26 ft 6 ins divided by 5 is 5 ft 4 ins so the Puppeteer is slightly closer to 1/5 scale than to 1/6.

You could fit a 1/6 pilot and claim that he is a bit short in the leg! cheeky

I have built a Baronette and alongside a Puppeteer you could see that they were designed to different scales. I believe that all of the other models in the Flair Scout series were to 1/6 scale.

• 6 months later...
Posted by Danny Fenton on 13/02/2016 22:50:40:

Great to see so many splitting their Pupeteers behind the cockpit I did this a few years back, 2009. I shortened the nose by over 2" and lengthened the undercarriage to make it a bit more scale like. It was originally a smashed wreck and I restored and converted it to electric. Build blog is on here

The join is not really noticeable

I had to look twice at this! It looks very much like mine.

puppeteer 5 reduced.jpg

The join is not noticeable. I notice Danny has used N6452 (the Fleet Air Arm replica) to model his on. I used this one rather than the Shuttleworth one as the side roundel is positioned further back so as not to go over the fuselage join.

The join needs to be secure and quite strong, but I would argue given they type of flying to be done with the plane, the stresses are not that great. Time will tell! frown

• Like 1

Mine was the first post on this thread. I did not in the end split the fuselage. I cut an extra firewall which is bolted to the original and mounted the motor and esc on the front of that inside the cowling. Plenty of cooling. I cut a hatch on the top of the nose between the cowling and the front struts for battery insertion and removal. Additional lead is inside the cowling. Flies on a 4s 4500 with a 14 x 7 prop. Motor is 580kv with a 60 esc. Flies, as all Flair planes, really well. It has the markings of Lt. Kawaida of the Japanese army air force May 1921. I will try to add a photo but if it doesn't come off there is a picture of it in flight in the latest RCME mag.

Just finishing a Traplet plan 'Bloody Mary' after which I will be starting the Flair Bristol F2b fighter the kit for which I got for an amazing price of £80

Sadly cant get photo.

Les

• 3 months later...

The proper pilot for the Pup isn't going to be wearing an oxygen mask It is the 1/6 scale "Albert" pilot, named after the famous WW1 pilot Albert Ball. I have 2 Pups, one I built and one I bought recently that needs a little work to bring it up to standard.

Here is Albert in situ in the one I built.

engine in.jpg

Edited By Paul james 8 on 19/03/2017 22:06:56

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by Leslie Crane 1 on 30/01/2016 19:03:17:

Hi guys I have just bought a Puppeteer kit and am proposing to build as an electric model. Before starting I wondered if anyone has photos of a conversion, in particular where to place batteries and place the shelf or box, how and where you have made the hatch and any of the motor mount. Any advice would also be appreciated. Not sensible to re-invent the wheel if there is already a working solution out there. Many thanks in advance

Les

Hello where you bought Puppeteer?