Rosco's Ballerina Build

Rosco

Hi all,

Here's the first fe flights of my Ballerina.

The conditions were good although a little breeezy. The grass was beautifully smooth and short but still kept catching the wheels of the Ballerina as you'll see........

The first flight I set it up to be a bit more nose heavy wich proved to be too much. It was a very quick fight because I was literally holding it in the sky. I had to pull down on the elevator stick most of the flight because as soon as I let go it just dropped its nose and looked like it was going to be a lawn dart.

The second flight was a little longer and I moved the battery back a bit which made it a little easier to keep up in the air but it was still very twitchy. I think the control surface movements that I had it set on were a bit extreme and that is the cause for this. The landing at the end was a nice glide in but the darn nose over killed it!

Third flight was short, the battery was running out and it was a little easier to control although still twitchy.

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 18/04/2016 22:16:21

Congratulations on a successful maiden of a beautiful looking Ballerina. I know mine will look nothing like as good as that.

Rather than a too far forward CoG your first flight looked like it was over sensitive to elevator which usually indicates a rearward CoG. How much elevator trim did you need to get it to fly hands off? On a maiden I tend to set a bit of back stick on the grounds that it's more comfortable to trim out the elevator when the model is climbing rather than when it's threatening act as the lawn dart you mention,

Geoff

Thanks guys, much appreciated comments.

I agree, more forwards rake is needed on the uc.

Tail heavy is what I thought on that very first take off because it literally pointed straight up but I was probably to heavy handed on the throttle and the elevator. After that, like I say, I had to hold so much elevator to keep the nose up that any movement on the ailerons was amplified in turns. I also never had it a full throttle because it was just too erratic.

I progressively moved the battery back until it was balanced as per the original COG spot and it was much more controllable but I'm sure that I've got way to much movement in the control surfaces. I have some expo dialled in but I'm going to tame down the movements a little.

I also thought about adding some up thrust to the motor.

I'm sure that the cog was getting better as I moved the battery further back. The end of the second flight shows that it had a nicer balance as I brought it in to land.

Another reason I also think that the control surface movement is extreme is because when I do back off the throttle a little, it calms down.

At an all up weight (including battery) of 625g it is also at the whim of the winds and the oval that I'm flying at in the vid is notorious for having little pockets of turbulent air swirling around within the outer tree line. I've flown there many times and had the most stable models thrown around in turbulence there on the calmest of days!

I'm sure I can sort out the issues and next time I'll have a nicer flying model, please stay tuned, I'm not finished yet!

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 19/04/2016 00:32:02

Forgot to mention that there was no hands off flying Geoff.
I was limited on time and it was a very rushed affair so no real time to play around with trimming it too much.

I was comfortable enough to fly it a few times in that 'twitchy' state but I honestly was just happy to get it back in one piece.

I'm sure I'll get it flying some knife edge before you know it!!

Rosco

Hello all,

Another very quick update......

Thrust angle changed very slightly, pilot added, throws tamed down a little and unfortunately I had to do a minor repair due to some damage caused in the transportation phase after my maiden flights the other day. All fixed now though.

Last on my list is trying to sort out the uc. Part of the reason she kept nosing over was because one side was a bit lose and wobbly. I've got something in the mix and hopefully will have that sorted soon.

No pics of that stuff yet, I'll put some up though and I'll also get some pics of it completed and put them up in the completed gallery once I've got this lot done.

Hopefully there will be some flying done over the coming weekend involving the Ballerina and I should be able to get another vid but I can't guarantee anything!

Till the next time,

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 20/04/2016 22:31:03

Hello all,

I'm glad to say that I got my Ballerina up for another fly on the weekend.

She flew much more smoothly on the tamed down throws,although I still think I need to tame down the elevator a little more.

I did get some vid of it but I may need to edit it. I flew at my normal flying site and so had more space to fly in, therefore it is just a dot every now and then.

Now for the bad news....

I may have over propped it because there was a puff of smoke during its second flight and then the motor stopped. It was well and truly smoking on landing.

So... After all that, she's flying much better but just not with a motor at the moment!

Hopefully I can put a vid together now she's had a bit of adjustment.

'Till then,

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 25/04/2016 15:56:32

Hi all,

It took a little while but here's my next couple of flights after adjusting a few things. It was going well until I cooked the motor! I've done as little editing as possible and it is a dot a few times. We were also having a conversation so there are bits and pieces of that in the audio too............

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 28/04/2016 22:08:17

Thanks Peter, ironically, after I cooked the motor, the wind picked up and I was flying my Eager Beaver (another Rcm&e free plan) around and I was harrier landing it in the breeze. I could just chop the throttle and it would slowly 'harrier' down......

Back to the Ballerina.....

I'm rewinding another motor for it right now.
I still think I have too much elevator authority but I'm looking forwards to getting it back up in the air. I almost wish I'd built the full sized one instead of shrinking it!

Rosco

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

I took my Ballerina out for a fly yesterday and started to get a better feel of its capabilities after trying some basic aerobatics. It is still a little sensitive in the throws dept. so that will still need to have some more fine tuning done.

The best part is that I stuck my keycam onboard and filmed it.

I will put a vid together when I have a spare few moments in the coming days.

I'm hoping to be the first with some onboard footage!

Cheers to all,

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 15/05/2016 23:50:32

Hi Rosco,

Fine to read that you are managing to 'tame' the lady.

I won't give you any advice regarding fine tuning of course, but if I did, you could always try out the opposite of what I'd tell you... wink

Regarding the onboard vid, AndyD did a few of them during some of his first Ballerina flights... but please, post yours as well anyway. They're always great to look at.

And thanks for your 'cooling' advises at the Bella's blog. yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Video Control

Yes, you are right Chris, Andy did. After I posted that, I thought that I'd seen it already done but wasn't sure if it was on a Ballerina Build. My apologies...

I hope to be the second one to have some in-flight footage!

Percy, regarding the expo, I have 30% dialled in but I'm sure it's just the elevator causing my problems. Thanks.

Chris, I'm open to anyone suggesting anything, I'm no expert my friend.

Thanks guys.
I'll post the vid soon. I made a start on it today but I'm at work tonight (now) so it'll be up in the next day or two. It's nothing really fancy anyway although I'll let you guys be the judges on my inverted flight. One particular bit looked pretty cool from the outside!

Cheers fellas,
Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 16/05/2016 13:16:17

@ Chris, Yep, too much throw of the elevator. Easily fixed.

@ Andy, Yes, in-flight footage is pretty cool. I might post some Youtube clips on here to show a couple of spots where I've put a camera on my models. I taped it to the top of my PZ T28's tail once....worked well. I have the wider lens on my 808#16 and you are right, sometimes it can be tricky trying to work out what you are actually filming!

Hopefully I'll have the vid done tonight.

Until then,

Rosco