PSS A-4E 'Top Gun' Skyhawk

Hi Phil, Your fuz is coming along really nicely. I'm not as far on as you but I have the main fuz made and nose /tail pulled in. Really enjoying the build so far.

I am looking at making a fluted rudder - can I ask - going back to your 3 piece fluted rudder how did you work out the dimensions of the L -shaped cheek pieces? ( ie width top and bottom / step height location etc). I presume you measured from scale drawings of an A4?

Any info appreciated.

regards H

Hi Harry,

I did generate the general layout from a blown up scale 3-view drawing but made a few compromises to aid the build.

The 2 ‘L’ shaped pieces were sized by drawing a line simply from mid chord at the tip and mid chord at the root of the original Fin 3 ‘rudder’ piece. I offset the base of the rudder by 35mm (measured along this angled line) to create the ‘L’ shape.

As for the rudder ribs, they were all cut identical from strip of balsa 45mm long – long enough for the longest rib at the base. They are all 6mm wide at their L/E and 2mm wide at the T/E. They are then individually cut to size (cut the L/E away) such that all the ribs T/E remain 2mm wide. The ribs were glued onto a number of centrelines at a pitch of 15mm running up the rudder.

These figures are slightly rounded to aid repeated measurement but will produce a rudder with accurate scale detailing by eye. Hope this helps.

With the sanding through the quadrant problem. As you had to reduce the width of the intake skins from that shown on the plan I wonder if that points to the problem been that the intake formers are two small. I've not posted anything yet as my fuselage is going together the same as everyone elses but I started mine at the weekend. Just up to building the intake and wondered about the intake skin been too large for the formers.

Looking at the section views I was also worrying about the 1/2 inch quadrant not been enough wround that area. I might think about cutting slightly larger formers - are you able to measure the radius of the prototype maybe ?

Yesterday was the movie's 30th anniversary! So here's to your build of Jester's Go-Buggy!

topgun still 1a.jpg

And thanks Phil for all you're doing to inspire us and guide us!

topgun movie still 1.jpg

topgun movie still 2.jpg

topgun movie still 4.jpg

You're doing a great job, but, as always, the REAL person we're watching is call-sign CHARLIE !!!

topgun movie still 3.jpg

And now, just a quick refresher... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhYZc08Jk_Y

Nice photos John (Rood) - Happy 30th Top Gun!!! Callsign 'Charlie' is looking mighty fine - I think she has the attention of the class there wouldn't you say!!?

John (Hey) - I have been able to compare the intake formers from the laser woodpack blanks against my original drawings from which I hand cut the prototype parts and they are correct in size, within the diameter of the laser cutting anyway, certainly no 'measureable' error. However, that's NOT to say when I hand cut my prototype formers they weren't slightly on the large size (the outside of the line as opposed to the inside) - I think I do tend to do that.

It was only 2 or 3mm on circumference I had to cut the skins down by - so on former radius that's a very small delta. I'm guessing my error is two-fold, I think my intake former slots on the fuselage sides are perhaps 1/32" too low on this production build compared to the prototype, that combined with the small tolerance shift between my 'plus metal' prototype formers, and the production laser cut kit which are towards bottom end tolerance is causing the problem I've encountered.

I'm undecided still how best to suggest this is fixed, you could either;

(i) Use the intake formers as they are but mount them 1/16" higher on the fuselage sides

(ii) Remake the Intake formers very slightly bigger on radius thus pushing the skins outboard a little

(iii) Leave the formers size and position as drawn, and simply add some additional triangular sanding stock into the internal corners ahead of former F4 - as Peter Garsden and I have done during our builds.

All of these methods will eliminate the problem, but which should I instruct Traplet to modify the plan or laser pack for any future builders?

Posted by Phil Cooke on 15/05/2016 21:36:57:

I got some sanding time in the garden today and I've highlighted a slight error in the build, well, in my build anyway - this didn't occur on the prototype!? In shaping the fuselage around the deepest part of the intakes just ahead of F4 I've ended up with 2 small triangular holes where a little more material is needed on the inside to avoid a thin section. In this view one of the holes is clearly visible towards the top right hand corner.

My recommendation would be to all - before sanding your fuselage to the final profile - please add these short sections of additional material into the top corners just ahead of F4 to mitigate any risk of thin walls or holing.

I've sanded mine quite aggressively now, and have no holes. Holding it up against the light I can see the wood is a bit thin in those corners though, so I will add the triangular pieces just as a precaution. I don't think any other change than iii) (a small addition to the plan) is needed.

Lorenz

Edited By Lorenz Mueller on 19/05/2016 10:08:47

I have worked out the problem guys.

I had a hole on one side but not the other so why was that?

The formers are all the right size I think.

The point is that when I glued the two intakes, the rear of of one was too low and not in line with the tail outlet. This meant that the gap between the top of it and the top sheeting was greater than it should have been. The other side however had the rear of the intake higher up the fuselage and in line with the tail outlet, hence the gap between the top of the inlet and the top sheeting was less and thus less of the side sheeting exposed.

Hope this makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a little while since I've done any work on the A-4, but having returned from a relaxing family holiday yesterday I was keen to get back underway today - and it was another superb day for sanding with strong sunlight allowing every curve and radius to be visualised - and even a warm breeze to blow all my balsa dust off up the street!

thumbs upsmile d

I taped up the snake outer at the rear to avoid me sanding it with my course paper...Use the plan sections as a guide to achieve the right shape, the fus is shown here fully rounded (or so I thought!) ready for final surface sanding.

canopy fit 1.jpg

I say 'so I thought' as when I came to trial fit the vac formed canopy it was clear some further work was required around the nose and cockpit console section, the canopy wouldn't quite seat properly, proud at the front and in need of some further trimming at the rear. This is the first time I've fitted the canopy to the model, the prototype was built and flown with a solid balsa cockpit for speed of build.

canopy fit 2.jpg

As per the full-size, I would expect to have to build a small, raised fillet at the front, but its clear the top of the nose section and console needs to be a little thinner here to allow the front canopy to sit fully.

A quick update before I put the modelling to one side to focus on prep for this weekends Fly-In.

More shaping - the fin and tailplane have been sanded to profile, and the gaps at the front and the top of the air intakes have been filled with balsa and lightweight filler to achieve a perfect blend prior to glassing. Just a little more final shape refinement needed on the nose section and the fuselage is complete.

intake tops2.jpg

Close up on fin and rudder - the rudder fluting side panels are sanded down to zero thickness at the T/E resulting in the 1/8" thickness required.

intake tops3.jpg

Air intakes now complete, all gaps filled with balsa wedges, just need to add a fake splitter fairing at the front and we are done.

intake tops1.jpg

hehehe "YOU Splitter!"

Pete - nothing too fancy - was just going to shape a strip of 1/8" balsa and stick it to the fus wall forward of the air intake - its only a representation there will be no functionality and I'm not trying to stand the intake off from the fus wall...

intake splitter 1.jpg

hehe nice one John!

I must admit I've not seen this little feature before, I've been mulling this over at work...

I thought about an easy access port to view the jet engines fan blades with a camera, but then that was ruled out as you can clearly get your head where you need it to do that (as per the guy in the previous photo!)

I thought about speed probes or pressure instrumentation, but figured they would be better surface mounted on the inner intake skins?

I then thought of a camera port - maybe for the gun? Is it a gun camera?? Its mounted just above the guns in the wing roots...

And then I saw THIS...

camera.jpg

...and noticed how the lateral position of the hole is in line with the air-refueling probe - is it a camera to aid lateral alignment to the tanker when you are in flight refuelling???

Please let me know if I've won the chocolate fish, otherwise I'll have to leave my desk and go buy a Snickers from the vending machine!