PSS A-4E 'Top Gun' Skyhawk

Happy Easter everyone! I managed to get some work done on the A-4 in between the Easter Egg Hunt with the kids this morning and the family meal later in the day...

Snakes On a Plane! I don't normally like using snakes but the A-4 layout lends itself perfectly and it was proven to work very well on the prototype.

First job is to trim the rear of the fuselage square to the correct length to aid positioning of the snake exit. It should exit the top sheeting at an oblique angle just behind the fin post and just ahead of F8.

snake 1.jpg

With a good fit at the rear you can consider how the snake outer is to be retained at the front. I've used 2 braces, cut from 1/2" sheet sized the same width as F5, against which they will sit. The snake will fit snuggly into the central grooves.

snake 2.jpg

The height of the braces is dependant on your servo and the type of horn fitting you want to employ - Ive used a small ball joint to aid ease of movement. This sits the snake 1/4" higher than the servo arm. Dry fit everything until you've got a good alignment, then glue the braces in position using wicking cyano.

snake 3.jpg

snake 4.jpg

Epoxy the snake outer into the groove either side of F5 and I used a small piece of 1/32" ply to cap the top side, locking the snake in position. Add some epoxy to the rear exit on the inside and outside to ensure it is well retained at both ends.

snake 5.jpg

I've added F9 at the rear, its an end cap effectively, cut from 3/16" balsa and made to accept the exhaust tube which in my case (yes Pete, more girly moisturiser talk!) is a 42mm O/D bottle cap from a Liz Earle moisturiser. I like these as they come pre-painted in chrome!

f9 endcap.jpg

Anyway, make a hole to suit your chosen exhaust tube and align that centrally on the back of the fuselage once you have trimmed the back all co-planar.

Et voilà!! There you have the exhaust tube for your Pratt & Whitney J-52 turbojet.

f9 endcap 2.jpg

Needs trimming to length so only the chrome part sticks out proud!

Having positioned the snake for the elevator servo sat against the floor (or roof) of the fuselage it needed some hardwood bearers fitting to install the servo onto later.

I made 2 longeron bearers from hard 1/2" balsa sheet and machined notches into them to accept the hardwood cross bearers which were sized just under the internal width of the fuselage to aid fitting. The longerons sat up against the top of the triangular section in the roof of the fuselage, making alignment easy.

ele bearers 1.jpg

Longerons glued in position using PVA and medium cyano for a fast grab, the hardwood cross pieces are shown here dry fitted prior to mixing a little 5 minute epoxy.

ele bearers 2.jpg

I couldn't motivate myself today to continue the A4 build as I'm feeling a little under the weather, so I've been checking out the Typhoon and ensuring that the servo does in fact release the two bombs when I flip the switch, and reminding myself which TX switches do what.

I've also been doing a little work on the Lightning and modifying it by fitting a switch and adding an external method of switching it on & off, as removing the wing each time is a real pain in butt. Hopefully I'll get a chance to fly it next month as I haven't flown it properly yet.

Batteries are being cycled also.

And as I'm not camping this time, I should have room in the car for the camping stove to make a fresh cuppa. Ahhhhhh teateeth 2

A bit more progress as the basic fuselage assembly approaches completion...

Before fitting the intake formers A1, A2 and A3 it's important to sand the top sheeting flush with the fuselage sides keeping all the corners square for now.

intake 1.jpg

It was a good day for sanding outdoors here today, so I tidied up all the edges top and bottom rear of the cockpit, you start to form some interesting shapes on the top surface.

intake 2.jpg

With the sheeting flush and square I added the intake formers with CA, they need to be perpendicular to the centreline, not the fuselage side (certainly not A1 anyway, where the fuselage curves in towards the cockpit).

intake 3.jpg

With the formers in place I made up the intake front blocks. A little fiddly with so many pieces (the laser cutter cannot cut through 1/2" balsa so the woodpack relies on us laminating 1/4" sheet) - Ensure you make a left and right handed pair as they are not quite symmetrical!

intake 4.jpg

With those setting and with my modelling slot fast running out the bench gave way for another airframe in need of cycling overnight prior to the start of the season in just over 2 weeks time! It's Tonka time! laugh

intake 5.jpg

Just trying to do a little each day Steve, you'll be surprised how quick it goes together with the woodpack once you're underway, I look forward to seeing your blog develop!

Second Tonka did get a little bit more work done on it since Christmas, but my aim to have it flight ready for April has failed with all the other mods on other airframes I've done recently... but will have ready for May or June event.

Time to put the fin, rudder and tailplane together.

I'm keen to replicate the characteristic rudder stiffeners as in the photo below (copied from an excellent plastic kit review on ScaleSpot.com   **LINK**   to improve the models scale appearance.

rudder detail 1.jpg

Because of this I will be making the rudder up from 3 laminate sheets, a central 1/8" balsa core with a carefully cut balsa laminate each side, these will be sanded down to zero thickness at the extreme Trailing Edge once glued to the core resulting in a 1/8" T/E thickness as required.

Edited By Phil Cooke on 03/04/2016 11:51:40

And for the Skyhawk disciples who are building the early variant, the A4D-1, the rudder structure lacks that refinement... for example, in the photo here is the prototype taxiing in the legendary high desert heaven of Edwards AFB. Note the smooth rudder panel... and that EPIC nose probe!

A4D prototype desert taxi.jpg

Yes, covering it will be impossible with film. Im planning to glass my airframe and the rudder (with all its detail) might just get a few coats of resin and talcum powder prior to a good primer fill then paint, as opposed to trying to glass it with cloth...

Rudder Fluting - Rudder made 'inside out'  ribs on the outside .....to cut out vibration and rudder flutter from model A4D-2 - A-4B onwards :- from link, 

• 1px 0.35em no-repeat transparent;">Improvements incorporated in the A4D-2 (A-4B) Skyhawk were a stronger, "inside-out" rudder construction; a pressure fueling system with a probe for air-to-air refueling; external fuel tanks; stronger landing gear; additional navigation equipment; an improved air-to-ground ordnance delivery system; and an externally-carried "buddy store" package for air-to-air fueling of other aircraft. Note the rudder has supporting ribs on the outside, rather then inside. This change was introduced as a temporary fix for "rudder flutter" discovered during testing of the A4D-1; but remained as a fixture of all future Skyhawks.

•  
  •  

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 05/04/2016 17:24:18

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 05/04/2016 17:26:08

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 05/04/2016 17:26:31

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 05/04/2016 17:27:11

• 2 weeks later...