French Regs

I go to France quite a bit and normally take one or two models with me. Last time I was there, (Oct 15), I was told by one of the locals that I needed to be registered with the police. Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can use the full strength signal on 2.4 now. As I am soon to leave these shores for a few weeks 'en France', can any of the Ex-pats enlighten me. I will have a couple of aircraft and a quad this time.

Advert

I've not heard that you need to register with the police and your BMFA insurance will cover you "for temporary visits elsewhere in the World."

In the past on 35 MHz the number of channels was limited but most French clubs turned a blind eye to the use of unauthorised channels. I expect you'll be flying 2.4 so that won't apply.

Pop in if you're in the north of La Creuse or the southern Indre.

The restriction on available channels on 2.4GHz was lifted a couple of years or so ago - the normal full range of EU channels is now available. It was never a question of a less than full-strength signal - the French only allowed the lower half of the EU range to be used as they had military equipment on the upper half.

No, I've heard nothing about registering either!

Paraphrasing the new regs, and applying to models of less than 25Kg, you can assume the same sort of restrictions now placed on flying in the UK in terms of LOS, flying over habitation or groups of people etc.

In addition, in military or low-flying areas there is a height limit of 50m. Everywhere else it is 150m, except on model flying sites which have applied for an exemption from the height limit.

If you use a UAV/multirotor/quad (<2Kg) in 'auto' or 'waypoint' mode, you are limited to 200m radius of the pilot and 50m height and, in addition, you must be capable of taking manual control at any stage of the flight.

You can use a camera on the model, provided any material obtained is not used for commercial purposes or gain. Privacy laws are stricter in France than in the UK and must be respected.

You cannot fly a model from a moving vehicle.

You cannot fly any model at night, whether it is lit or not.

I think that's about it..... unless anyone knows better!teeth 2

Pete

Hi Pete, thanks for that, it makes it all very clear. I didn't know of the 50m rule in low flying areas which is were I will be. I have probably broken that rule with my eglider in the past! I have only recently found out from charts that the base for the big guys is 200m but does not seem to be used that often. Will have to be more careful.

I'm about 50km north of an RTBA (Reseau Tres Basse Altitude) corridor south of Cahors but it doesn't stop them nipping over here at 250ft or thereabouts. Fortunately they tend to keep to weekday working hours with long lunches....teeth 2

For info, you can download a PDF of the low-flying corridors here by clicking on the link in the first paragraph:

Yes, my thermal soaring from the back garden seem to be somewhat limited now....sad

Pete

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 16/03/2016 22:06:48:

The restriction on available channels on 2.4GHz was lifted a couple of years or so ago - the normal full range of EU channels is now available. It was never a question of a less than full-strength signal - the French only allowed the lower half of the EU range to be used as they had military equipment on the upper half.

Check back here Pete - we discussed this five years ago. wink 2

For outdoor use the regs limited the use of the upper-half of the 2.4 band to 10mw instead of 100mw. But, as you said, the limit was removed some time ago.

Thanks both and especially Pete for the chart link, really useful. Looks like I am just outside the RTBA north of Verdun, and yes they come over the village once in a while at 250ft. The choppers from Etain come through the valley at 50 ft but you can hear them a long way out so have plenty of warning.

Sante

Bob

Ha ha, yes Ernie we had noticed! Travelling all day yesterday and are now in our tiny abode in the Meuse (55), in a very small village 30 km north of Verdun. Sun is shining and very little wind so perhaps a bit of flying later.

Edited By Bob Bertram on 18/03/2016 08:35:37