M2 abc Irvine 40 sport

trebor

Just stripped out the small and large crank bearings due to being cream cracker'd and tried to get replacements locally. I was told the larger bearing was an odd size on the outer diameter.

The bearing part no is S-026 and mine measures 28.6mm. Nearest I can get is 28mm. Does anyone know the correct size. 

Edited By trebor on 23/03/2016 11:59:34

Advert

Not this one Justin, this is another one. I've got to stop buying secondhand stuff crying This one seems all metric appart from the outside dia of large bearing which is 28.6mm / 1/8". God knows where the bearing came from or weather it's been machined out. A standard 28mm just falls through crank case surprise

Just contacted Model Fixings, Just engines and spent a long time looking online. Not much hope. Normal size is 15 X 28 X 7 mm. Mines just 28.6 mm made by Nachi, can't make out the rest of the numbers. The moral of this story is don't buy an old mk 2 Irvine which might have an imperial case and metric shaft. crying

Trebor, I have the latest Irvine's and certainly the 46 and 53 have imperial at one end of the crank and metric at the other . Even model fixings qoute in metric tho ie. 9.525mm this is actually 3/8in. If it doesn't measure whole mm then 10 to 1 its an imperial bearing.

Regards Lee

If I remember correctly the Irvine 40 did have a non standard rear bearing.....it may even have been a special size just for Irivine. You could buy "modified" standard bearings with a strip of steel fitted around the outside.....but I think you'd be lucky to find one now.....Just Engines might be your best bet.

Good luck...

Thats the first place I have seen it written down. I have the original paperwork and there is only just a part no mentioned.

Solent Bearings in Southampton have been a great help, they have located one somewhere but there source wants nearly £50 + £8 postage disgust so for now I have put the bits in a box crying If i win the lotto I might splash out.

If your Irvine is an OS product you may have a problem. OS and other makers have in the past had bearings of special sizes made for their engines and are only available from them . The main bearing on the OS 120 twin was a"manufacturer only" as was the main bearing on one of the YS 140 . It may be that the Irvine is the same . The use of imperal front bearings is common practice with many makes as they are readily available and very cheap.

It was possibly OS' way of fazing out the Irvine brand a bit quicker so that their own brand engines were more attractive in the UK.

E.D.

trebor's Irvine will be from the '80s if it is a mk2.

Posted by trebor on 24/03/2016 09:27:15:

Solent Bearings in Southampton have been a great help, they have located one somewhere but there source wants nearly £50 + £8 postage disgust

ouch!

PS if you want to sell the jetstream carb, I will take that bit of it.

Hi trebor, Have an Irvine 40 mk2 you can have for a few beer tokens.Its from the early 90s in a yellow and white box with jet stream carb.It is well used with little compression, however bearings run smooth with no play. I agree these were better made than later ones.PM me if interested.John.

Mk2 sport were definitely the Irvine product. And they were a quality motor - Irvine were a good brand in their own right, before they were used as the budget department of another manufacturer.

When OS took over when they were all red anodised. However, if it's red and says "made in england" its pre-OS.